PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I don't know what my deals been lately but I've been have trouble relaxing. I think it's just a stressful time for me btwn the kids and recently married and trying to finish school and get into law school. I've always been very aware of my stress and been able too stow it a away but holy crap! It's all over me... I'm going back home for two weeks with my wife and kids, hopefully some time to shut the brain off will help.
Dr. Dad likes to tell me it's not going to be the pipe smoking, the 7 years taking steroids while bodybuilding, the years of drinking or the massive amount of red meat I use to eat that will do me in, it'll be my stress level...
Thankfully I've had some spare time to pick up comics and books that ARENT for school.
Sorry for the boring post, I often feel better after I vent!
-Lou

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I hear ya man, it can be a whole ton of pressure when you got to do all types of things that aren't necessarily of your choosing, then add on the obligatory stress of it all.
I work full-time, have two kids (11 and 2), go to school all the while working opposite shifts with the mom and taking care of it all in the afternoons/evenings. It doesn't feel like I get hardly any ME time where I don't have kids in my ear, meals to prepare, chores to do. My pipe break is as close as I get and those still aren't uninterrupted either.
Ya gotta get in where you can fit in. Off of school? Read something that isn't a textbook. I'm on your level to, once I'm off semester I get back to reading books and comics as well.
I don't know about that trip with the family being much a breather. I can't decompress unless I get all my stressors out of the way -family, school, work, the house- I'm of the mind that a vacation is a trip you take with the people you need to get away from in the first place.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I hear you on the stress stuff. You know you're in trouble when you get stressed about getting stressed, though, so don't do that, haha! But it sounds like you've got a lot going on right now, it's understandable. Speaking for myself, sometimes I've just got to put the blinders on until I make it through a stressful time and I at least get one of those stress inducers under control. Reading (for pleasure, not school, haha) is good for blocking stuff out, but I think pipe smoking may be even better. Stress also makes a great excuse argument for why all that smoking is actually a net health benefit for you.

Mar 31, 2014
I am by no means religious, but I find meditation very helpful for mitigating my stress. I can't do it in the classic way (100% silence and focus), but I find these VERY helpful. You have nothing but 10 or so minutes to lose if it doesn't help: http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
You're not alone, everyone goes through stressful times now and again. Wish you luck and hope you get some good downtime at your folks.
I am by no means religious, but I find meditation very helpful for mitigating my stress.
+1
I meditated for years, but off and on (several years on, then several years off). I started with TM back in the late 70s and now I am back to meditating (using a follow the breath style) and it's great.
Proven scientifically to impact the brain and body in numerous positive ways.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For stress, I think some form of meditation is helpful and somewhat basic to relaxing. I think some people

get edgy about it because they think it somehow displaces religious beliefs, but it is a purely physical practice

that can be aligned with nearly any religious belief. It is calming, centering, and gives you back control of your

concentration and breathing, so you aren't being dragged around by the events and tension around you. It is

also a way of letting people you are close to know that you have the fundamental need to be quiet and alone for

short periods of time (and likely so do they!). Doing some reading of your own is also an excellent way to

de-esculate your stress. Also, conversation with your family that does not center on decisions and demands,

if you can get that going. Don't be afraid to "see someone," counselor or pastor, someone you respect and trust,

for perspective. A little help can be a good thing, and your family is sometimes too close for this purpose.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Vent-on brother ... we're here for you! :)
You've got your plate pretty full right now and that's always stressful.

Always make time for yourself even if it's 5-10 minutes and breathe in slowly and deliberately.
Best of luck in all your endeavors and I hope your vacation back home is rejuvenating.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
it can be a whole ton of pressure when you got to do all types of things that aren't necessarily of your choosing
Everything is a choice.
Lou, try taking fifteen seconds, as many times a day as possible, to remember why you're doing all the stressful things you're doing. If you can, look up at the sky, look out to the horizon, look inside yourself, and remember that you're only on this beautiful planet for a very short time, and nothing is worth not squeezing every last drop of joy that you possibly can, out of this experience we call Life.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Great advice from all! Thank you very mich!
I've been a long time supporter of meditation, and it has been some of my only respite lately.
However, I spent the last three days reading and watching a little tv and just relaxing. I feel much much better!
Thanks again!

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I'm a fan of meditation, fun exercise, eating somewhat healthy, and drinking more water than I think I need to. Not that I always manage to do all of this, but man, if you get into the habit of it all.. sure does help, at least for me.
I think doing a breath meditation while pipe smoking has a synergistic effect, too.
Also taking an abrupt walk in nature, even a brief one. I usually mentally tell myself that I have important stuff I should be doing instead, but then I just do it - and whammo, 100% better.
Music, as they say, is medicine for the soul, too.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
When I'm REALLY stressed out I like to throw my ear buds in, kick back on a bench, and smoke with my head back and my eyes closed with nothing to but the sweet sound of music playing in my head. You should try it. It's worked wonders for me. Put together a playlist of slow, relaxing music that you like, light one up, close your eyes and just lose yourself. Or if you're not in the pipe mood you can always listen to music, lay on the grass and look at the stars. That always works for me as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes feeling stressed and unhappy is part of life. Just don't let it go on until it gets you in

trouble. Glad you're feeling more relaxed, inthelouniverse.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
@cortez- already ruled out, for the most part. I've been very upfront with my dr about past steroid use. Every test under the sun has been ran at six month intervals for about 18mos now. She said the next check up will be the last. So far so good... Thank you very much for your concern though!

Status
Not open for further replies.