PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Hello,
I am super new to smoking pipe. Yesterday I smoked for the first time and could not keep the bowl lit for the life of me. I bought a pipe tool and packed the bowl as described online (pack first third lightly, second third more compact and last third most compact, light, puff let it go out, pack down again and re-light) the damn thing kept going out! Any help?
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You can hit some of the older threads to get answers to all, I say all!, of your questions. There are only a few basic techniques with almost as many variations as there are smokers.
Personally, I never feel like I'm tamping the first layer, it's more like just arranging it with my finger tip until it feels "nested." The first light, in my opinion, should entail moving the flame over the bowl with a couple of light inhales, just enough to make the top of the tobacco glow. Now I tamp lightly so that the burning bits lay down. I don't let the first light go out.
Lastly, I reapply the flame and gently suck it down into the tobacco a couple of times, a light tamp, I spin the tamper in my fingers as I lightly press down, then sit back and enjoy the pipe with a sip of cognac now and then.
That's my evening pipe routine. Out of doors, in the wind . . . I do what ever it takes, including a wind cap.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Trust me, it'll come to you. Just don't try too hard. Also, I read your other post and you might want to try some "lighter" samples at your local shop. Partial bowls until you get that Chacom properly broken in.
Search around in the other forums. I could suggest a couple of threads but that would stifle the learning. Just dive in and hunt around a bit.
If you are a cigar aficionado you will probably enjoy the learning curve for the pipe as well.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Thank you both very much! I am just concerned because my first experience was a bad one in almost every way and I was expecting the complete opposite which is why I went out and spent so much on my first pipe.

I will take your advice!

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Try using the swirl method as shown on this post. Works for me, just wish I found it when I was starting out!

Good luck.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-swirl-method

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
When I started I would time myself on how long the pipe stayed lit. I remember the delight when one day I even got upto 5 minutes without a relight!
When I finally did master one technique I set about another.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Also be sure to read up on pipepedia.
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Packing_and_Smoking_techniques

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Until the pipe is broken in and has at least a little bit of cake, it's not going to stay lit to the bottom no matter how well you dry it or pack it. At least, it hasn't for me. The only time I ever smoke a bowl to the bottom without a relight is if I'm smoking Carter Hall, or Prince Albert. But I primarily smoke flake, and aside from the initial 1 or 2 charring lights, almost ALWAYS, there's at least 2 or 3 relights over a 30 minute smoke. If I'm lost in a book, to the point where I forget to puff for 5 minutes, even more. No big deal. Normal.

i8ball

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2014
if you have to keep relighting try doing a 3 pack method could be more but start with your first one like your shaking a baby's hand nice and loose the second pack should feel like you are shaking a woman's hand and the third should feel like you are shaking a mans hands then tilt it on its side tap it 3 times to knock loose stuff off and then take your thumb and lay it on top and spin the pipe around in circles 5 times to twist the tobacco together i find it helps keep that ember going all the way to the bottom it takes a little to find just the right about of force and twist to your liking

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
Hang in there brother, it took me a while to get it also, and I still learn everyday. That's part of the fun of this hobby, it's a never ending adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.