PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I enjoy CB Gold and Royal(regardless what others think of it). I need a better way of drying these out, to get a better smoke. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Yeah there's really no good way to dry the captain. I have heard people put it in the microwave and oven, I wouldn't really suggest either of those although I haven't tried it. Other than that it's just going to take more drying time.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks. I think ill try leaving it out a day or two, or however long it takes. It would have to taste and smoke better if properly dried.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
If you like the Captain but not his humectant chemicals, you may want to try a bulk blend from parent blender Lane that matches up to the packaged Captain brand. You may even like it better.

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
Any idea what blend that might be? I like the Captain, too, but feel it might be one of the reasons I almost gave up the pipe...the slurp, you know.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
RLP-6 is the Lane bulk you are asking about. Another suggestion often mentioned in the forum is put some CBW on a paper towel in your microwave and nuke it for between 5 and 10 seconds. It works. Don't over do it though or you have a mess!

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I used to smoke a lot of Captain Black Royal and still have about a half tub in jars. I also smoke primarily aromatics. I use an old glass dish under a desk lamp. I lower the lamp to just above the glass dish after I have put the CB in it. The heat from the lamp heats up the glass and becomes my little drying station. In about an hour even the heavily coated aromatics are dry.
I have also found that if you over dry it you can actually smoke a large pipe in about 5 minutes as the stuff just goes to dust as you are packing it, so what ever method you choose I would take it in steps until you find out what moisture level suits your tastes best. I like using my method as I can test the baccy without the risk of burning myself or anything else.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
My local B&M has a CBW knockoff called Chartwell. I dont know if thats a national thing or not but he said it is exactly the same without the Poly Glycol. Well, it actually smokes and tastes different to me. Anyone know where I can get a bottle of Poly Glyol to dump all over this stuff? (kidding).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I sent for, and received, a free sample of Five Brothers, and a coupon for Captain Black which I

redeemed for a pouch, so now I'll know what to expect. (Man the lifeboats.) About two years

ago, I smoked a pouch of Chartwell that I found good when fresh, but it faded. Tried blending

it to liven it up, with just so-so results. I like Tinder Box's Balkan bulk, but I like Altadis Bulkan II

better; Bulkan II seems a little milder but more interesting.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Just toast it in the oven. put the oven on to 200F. Once 200F is reached turned the oven off. Let the oven sit for 10 min or so. Spread your Captain Black on some tin foil and place it in the oven. wait about 2 to 5 min tops and take it out. It will be perfect for smoking.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I recently encountered this problem with holiday spirit 2012. While waiting for it to dry I forgot about it and left it out overnight... It was quite dry by the time I woke up. Never had the drying out problem with CBW. A few hours left out in my room (which happens to be quite dry) and it was fine. Might try some of these other suggestions though.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Not sure about the nuke or bake in oven technique? Last time I bought captain black I opened the pouch and left it open for a week. Seriously a WEEK! I now know about 1Q and that stuff blows the captain out of the water!

Status
Not open for further replies.