PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Went to a huge local antique store, spent two hours in it and only made it half way through!! I found a few used beat up cobs and a few no name pipes. Bad thing is that the seller was insane to ask $50 for a $5-$20 pipe that I offered $25 for still and was refused. It was so much fun searching through everything cluttered on shelves to find a pipe hidden here, an old zippo there. And I ran across some of these baby's I have been interested in getting. May not be too well known brands (I have yet to research them yet) but they stood out to me and weren't too badly priced. Good storage for pipe cleaners, matches, and what not. Price tags won't come off clean so I will need to find some trick online :D

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Incredibly. I have mot has Prince Albert in 43 years of pipe smoking. I have has the rest. Nothing special there except for the tins. I do have a flip top can of PA from about 1978 that I have not tried. My parents bought it for me at DisneyWorld. Cool tin but never tempted.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Lots of fun finding the old tins. Dill's Best is the only one I never heard of. PA and Granger are both still available. have smoked both; PA is more interesting than Granger. All codger burleys.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I went antiquing this weekend as well, There was one shop with probably 30 pipes, few were interesting but all smoked. guy wanted $35 each even burned out cobs. There might have been a couple worth $20, but that's it. I asked the lady who owned the store if the guy was ever going to come down on price, she said no/never. I politely informed her that most were 5-10 buck range.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Redbeard there is a product called Goo Gone that will take off any sticker residue you have on the cans. The stuff is magic. Here in Canada we can find it in any hardware store. Its great stuff.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Don't rub too hard with the Goo Gone, it might remove the paint on those old tins.
I'd soak them in plain old hot water for awhile and see what happens first. Make sure you get those tins really dry afterwards or else you'll get more rust than you bargained for.

dannybeans

Lurker
Aug 12, 2013
Northern Indiana
I've had good luck with a product called Fast-Fret. It's made for cleaning guitar strings, and is very mild. Great stuff for removing adhesives without damaging the finish underneath. Pretty much any music store should have it on hand, and there's always Amazon.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Red:
I used to collect labels from wine bottles and the best practice was submerging the empty bottle in an ammonia water bath. Depending on the adhesive used it usually took, at most, a couple of hours before the intact label separated from the bottle.
Fnord

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I love it when people try to price gouge just because something is old and "therefore should be worth a fortune because it survived." This simply is not true most of the time, many antiques are actually worth less than originally, it really depends what it is, it's condition, and how good the seller is at finding the right buyer. I always find it amazing, how things that you would not think would affect the value do, and by how much (I love pawn stars, and other antique hunting shows). Next time I go kayaking near the giant flea market, I will check for some pipes.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Thanks everyone! I love them, actually smile every time I walk by the shelf... my grandma just told me today " I have an old Prince Albert tin you could have" DOH!! o well... two wont hurt right :D
I am too afraid to use a heavy chemical or even soaking them in water. I think I will just apply a wet rag directly onto the tag itself till it softens up and can be removed with ease. Also will keep water from the folds in the metal or destroy the tax stamps!!
And it seems these stores are all out for the sucker with some items. Granted the people who own the shop is not the same person selling the item. Still do some research on your items first!! It sucks searching the whole store to find a DR. Grawbow with massive cake and dings in the briar for $25-$35 bucks. I just laugh!!! I have no problem telling the owners they are only 10-15 dollar pipes

dennisfbird

Lurker
Aug 25, 2013
Try using WD-40 on the stickers.... let it soak through, it should remove the label as well as the stickem.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Are the tags new or old? If new try using a hair dryer on low to just warm up the metal and adhesive a little bit. Safer than the water or chemical route.

Status
Not open for further replies.