Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:   

TROOST ?

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

biggdonn

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know if there is a tobacco which is really like TROOST Dutch Cavendish was ? At least one mail order provider sells what they call a copy of it, but it actually is nothing like it. Related to that- are there European sellers who ship to the U.S.? Maybe some tabac still availble in Europe which is just not being imported?

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Van Roosens' Troost? https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1306/scandinavian-tobacco-group-stg-troost-special-cavendish

I think they stopped production totally STG was making it and you could get it reliably from pipesandcigars.com for a long while but I think a year or 2 years ago they said they were stopping production on it. P&C does have a match blend and I suspect it's pretty close.

Update yep here was the post 3 years ago.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/troost-discontinued

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

biggdonn

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately, the P and C match version is nothing remotely like TROOST was. I mean it does not look, taste, or smell like it. I kind of wonder if they sent me the wrong thing, as I don't see how anyone could even begin to confuse what they sent with the real thing.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Still for sale in the Netherlands. I have it shipped to the UK then a friend there sends it to me in the US.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

biggdonn

Login to Send PM

3rdguy: THANKS! I have lots of people who go to Europe (sometimes including the Netherlands), frequently. I will have them look into it !

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If my memory serves, The Troost was sold in England as well some years ago

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 month ago #
  7. greeneyes

greeneyes

Login to Send PM

I found an old dried-out tin of Troost Special Cavendish from the 70s. I rehydrated it and it turned out to be one of the better tobaccos I've smoked. I rehydrated several pouches which appeared to be from the 80s. Whether due to being in pouch (versus tin) or a change in quality from the 70s to the 80s, the tobacco was somewhat less enjoyable though very tasty. Finally, someone gifted me a bag of "modern" Troost. It was unrecognizable and unpleasant to smoke in almost every dimension.

Posted 1 month ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

biggdonn

Login to Send PM

greeneyes- what may have happened is that P and C matched the modern Troost, because what they sent me was not only nothing like the old one, but was pretty bad in general.

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sutliff matched Troost Aromatic, not Special Cavendish. Those are two different blends.

Troost Slices are still made and sold, but you can only get them in a few countries.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   warren, prairiedruid, bryans, lightxmyfire, redglow, lawayna, alan73, ben88, jpmcwjr, ssjones, marc75, weezell, philobeddoe, pepesdad1, samw74, jaytex969