Troll Hunter! - and other Netflix finds...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
I stumbled across "Troll Hunter" in Netflix a year or so back and enjoyed it enough to watch it a couple times since. It is filmed in Norway and has some beautiful scenery. The movie is in subtitles too but don't let that deter you from checking it out. It would be best to watch this movie not knowing what you are watching and to be surprised (like I did my wife and she likes it too). No over the top gore. No gratuitous nudity. A little comic relief thrown in.
If you know of any good, under the radar movies on Netflix please post them here.
Another strange movie that I found is "Irina Palm". Do not be alarmed by the description, it actually might even qualify as a chick flick, for dudes. Haha! Then for my favorite genre of movie, Revenge, there is a whole slew of top notch Korean movies with great cinematography, acting and direction. If you don't want subtitles start with "Oldboy". If you don't mind subtitle then try "I Saw the Devil". Many more... Another good Korean movie is "Castaway on the Moon". It is a survivalist guy movie blended with a love story in a way that keeps both sexes satisfied. So many more but what say you...?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I was going to suggest Oldboy. If you can get the disc it's much better with subtitles IMO. (and I'm not a film snob)
Is Bug on there? I remember being pleasantly surprised about that one but I like Michael Shannon.
Snap. I also enjoyed "The Devil's Double." I'd get chills sometimes when Uday would happily say the name "Latif!"
I don't know about it's historical accuracy but I did like it.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I am a HUGE fan of Troll Hunter :)
I just saw a movie the other day that I really enjoyed... I had never heard of it (which is strange as I am a HUGE MMA fan) its called "Warrior" its an awesome flick. I usually dont watch mma movies as they look so fake and they end up pissing me off because they do half ass chokes and techniques that would never work in real life. But this movie is pretty god damn realistic... very good indeed... this to me is the modern day Rocky.
There are quite a few more "under the radar" flicks... but cant seem to think at the moment as I have too much going on in my head right now. :|

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Nothing wrong with gratuitous nudity! I just get bored sometimes with the formula... But Corman is an all time favorite. Will check out Warrior (I know I have seen it at Netflix). Bug, isn't that the one with a Judd sister? Devils Double not sure but will look it up tonight. Thanks for suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

hunter185

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2012
Our Netflix selection in Canada is fairly pathetic. But I just discovered that Youtube has full length ' under the radar' movies too. Just search on your preferred genre. There are also tons of very well produced short films.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Currently watching (or rewatching) on Netflix:
Trinity Blood: it is Trigun (my favorite Anime....it is just excellent) only with vampires and not quite as good.
Sherlock: Still can't figure out exactly how he does it in the season 2 finally.
Scrubs: I rotate threw this show almost constantly as my background show.
No movies have been jumping at me from them lately. Just more hulu and hbogo in my life.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Watched, The Wind that Shakes the Barley on netflix about a year ago. Enjoyed it very much. Also if you're into kinda stranger movies, 'Ink' on netflix was decent, I thought the story was pretty cool.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Bug. Yes it is. It was adapted from a play iirc. I can't remember if I watched it on Netflix, thought I did.
Devil's Double is the supposedly true life story of Uday Hussein's body double. If half of it is true then it's pretty interesting in a semi-disturbing way.
Gah I can't think of what's on Netflix now. My kids have mine junked up with Sergeant Frog and Spy Kids.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Oh yah, Devil's Double, I saw that flick. Pretty good. If it is an accurate portrayal, poor kid...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here are some good movies that are currently on Netflix. I have seen everyone multiple times.
Dillinger starring Warren Oates and Ben Johnson, classic 70's gangster film, one of the best of it's era in my opinion.
We Were Soldiers starring Mel Gibson one of the best Viet Nam movies ever, a true story, up there with Platoon and Apocalypse Now
The Bridge at Remagen, classic 60's war flick.
The Boys from Brazil, Gregory Peck, Sir Laurence Olivier
Gunfight at the OK Coral, classic western with Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas
Chinatown starring Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway, academy award winner. 60's detective thriller.
The Eiger Sanction starring Clint Eastwood as the assassin Johnathan Hemlock, fantastic scenery North face Eiger mountain
The Wild Geese starring Richard Burton, Richard Harris and Roger Moore, great 70's mercenary war flick
Warlock starring Henry Fonda and Anthony Quinn, classic western
The Day of the Jackal starring Edward Fox, excellent spy thriller.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Don't want to give anything away but "Man from Earth" was a good one that I forgot about. Need to watch again. Thanks for reminder.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I know this is an older post but just wanted to comment about a few favorites my wife and I enjoy.
Monarch of the Glen - Series - Summoned back to his childhood home in the Scottish Highlands, London restaurateur Archie (Alastair Mackenzie) assumes his role as the Laird of Glenbogle and sets out to restore the financially troubled estate back to prominence with help from his family and loyal staff.
Wild at Heart - Series - In this refreshing series, veterinary surgeon Danny Trevanion and his wife uproot their family from Britain to the South African bush, where they buy a dilapidated wild-game reserve and turn it into the new family business.
Bramwell - Series - n Victorian London, independent Dr. Eleanor Bramwell (Jemma Redgrave) defies societal conventions by pursuing her chosen profession, and after she is fired for disagreeing with a male doctor, wealthy Lady Peters helps her open a free clinic in a poor neighborhood.
Downfall - This portrayal of Adolf Hitler's final days is based on the memoirs of Traudl Junge, the young secretary who with him until his death. Holed up in a bunker in Berlin, Hitler spends his last days in chaos, vacillating between paranoia and defiance.
A Gifted Man - Series - This metaphysical drama begins with surgeon Michael Holt having a chance encounter with his ex-wife, Anna ... and then learning she died two weeks earlier in a car crash. Her ensuing visits from beyond the grave soon begin to alter his life

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
I watched Troll Hunter on Dish and liked it, if you get dish Epix drive-in has got some 70-80's B horror movies that are fun to watch, I like the European flicks cause there's pipe smoking in them. There was one about Nazi zombies that was pretty bad plot wise and with lots French nudity, but it also had pipe smokers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.