PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been enjoying G.L. Pease Triple Play cube, sometimes in a medium size pipe,

other times in a very small Peterson Belgique, pleasant both ways. But it seems to

me that in the small pipe it is strong with a something of a nic kick, whereas in a

medium size pipe it is more in the upper range of mild with less nic buzz. Does

anyone else have a "take" on their experience with Triple Play, and where it fits

on these categories. I think Pipes and Cigars has it in the high medium strength

range.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I have only smoked it in a small pipe, and thought it very strong. If I wasn't already into a bowl of Kendal Cream Flake right now, I'd give it a shot in a bigger pipe. I will try later and let you know what I think.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I actually had a bowl last night in a larger pipe. I still found it strong. The taste was bigger in the larger pipe, but felt the nicotine plenty. I found the flavor to be less sharp. It burns a little when I exhale through the nose in my smaller pipe, but had no problem with the larger pipe.
All in all, I preferred my bowl last night to all others I had, so I will finish the plug in larger pipes. However, I will not buy this tobacco again as it's just not my cup of tea.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks, bryanf. You did notice a difference between the two size pipes. I was surprised to see TP

categorized as medium, so I'm interested that you also find it pretty strong. I like variety, but I am

feeling more satisfied with medium blends, not bland, but not challenging.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I know Bryan really enjoys Lakeland blends, which tend toward the stronger end of the nicotine spectrum. So if he finds it strong. . . well, I know I wouldn't want to touch it! :)
Bob

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Bob, the funny thing is that there are blends which are considered "strong" and "mild" at the same time. This is the effect I get from Lakelands. They are very easy to smoke, mild on the mouth and nose, yet strong in flavor and nicotine.
Triple Play is more just strong all over to me. It is not a subtle blend, and I find it a very strange blend. It's almost as if you can taste all the individual flavors more than the blend itself, if that makes sense. Many like that aspect...I don't. I like all the components to merge so that I have trouble distinguishing what it is I am tasting. Compliment each other, I believe is the word used.
It also gives me mild heart burn, which is a sign of its strength. I do not get that from any Lakelands, including the almighty Condor (which I can't call "mild" in any way, shape, or form, but it is definitely "SMOOTH").
Maybe that's a better word than "mild"- "Smooth". Triple play is not smooth, whereas Peterson's 3P plug is very smooth, and yet has probably the same strength of nicotine and flavor (and I much, much prefer).
If you like your tobacco robust, you will love Triple Play. If you like strong cigar's, you will like Triple Play. A similar tasting blend to me is "Dark Horse" by 4noggins. For me, that robustness is a once in a blue moon craving. I'm a guy that puts water in my whisky. I'll admit it.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
This stuff is great right off the shelf, and better with age. I do use a larger bowl , and find it to have more personality the the jack knife plug.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
I went through a tin awhile back and it never bothered me until the very last bowl I had of it. Rendered me useless for about 30 minutes. I love strong blends though and this one did not disappoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.