Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Trip To UK/Dubai-Tobacco Not Available in North America

(19 posts)
  1. titus

titus

Login to Send PM

All,

Have a trip planned to the UK and Dubai in January. I wanted to pick up classic tobacco's not available in North America. I'm a new pipe smoker so lots to learn. Any suggestions on the list below would be appreciated. Currently I suspect the list is too long so any suggestions on top picks would be appreciated:

Ogden-St Bruno Flake
    Ogden-Walnut Flake
    Gawith, Hoggarth & Co-Revor Plug
    Mick McQuaid -Mick McQuaid Plug
    Samuel Gawith-Kendal Plug
    John Sinclair-Highland Sliced
    Rattray-Old Gowrie
    Rattray-hal O’ The Wynd
    Murray Sons & Co Ltd-Punchbowle
    Troost-Slices
    Bjarne-Flake de Luxe
    Sillem’s-Black

Thanks

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Old Gowrie and HotW are easily available in the US. I don't think Troost Slices is made any more, although I could be wrong. And I think Murray is gone - they used to tin for Dunhill, among others.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. yohanan

yohanan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You could add Condor to the list, and maybe some Germains Rich Dark Flake.

Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks...
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kendal Plug is one of the more common plugs available in the US, though kind of spotty most of the time.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Troost is still available in the UK but Sillem's is unheard of here. If you are anywhere near Nottingham there are the Gauntley's house blends. Also the GQ Tobaccos house blends but they are mail order only so you would need a UK address for them to be sent to. Others to look out for are J. F. Germain's Rich Dark Flake (Stonehaven), some of the new releases from Samuel Gawith, Players Whiskey, Mellow Virginia, Gold Block, Warrior Plug, Punchbowle, Parson's Pleasure and Yachtsman (The last four are now made by Orlik). As far as I know, the various Samuel Gawith plugs are only available from My Smoking Shop which is in Preston or from GQ Tobaccos but can be bought mail order from either.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. rebornbriar

rebornbriar

Login to Send PM

Looking at the first few in your list, I would definitely add the Murray's Warrior Plug and the Germain's Rich Dark Flake (only in Bulk). A couple of the Peter Stockebye bulk blends only in the UK are Bulwark Flake and Irish Slices.

Another excellent Germain blend is the Brown Flake.

Alan
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. titus

titus

Login to Send PM

Thanks all.

Appreciate the advice.

David

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Just a few more things to add.

Not everything that has been listed here is of equal quality and some blends are perhaps best avoided unless you just want to be able to say you’ve tried them. Also, some of the more popular UK OTCs are in the heavily scented “Lakeland” style which is not to everyone’s taste. It certainly isn’t to mine! Condor and St. Bruno are most definitely in that style.

My personal recommendations. As rebornbriar says, Rich Dark Flake is a good one to go for and as it appears to be identical with Stonehaven, even if you don’t like it you should have no problem trading it. I cannot comment on Warrior Plug as I’ve not tried it but Mick McQuaid Plug is excellent. The Samuel Gawith Plugs, especially Full Virginia Plug and St. James Plug and any their new blends (see the “New Releases From Samuel Gawith” thread for details) are worth a try although some may already be available in the US before you travel. Another from Samuel Gawith you don’t often see in the US is Scotch Cut Mixture so look out for that one.

J.F. Germain’s Brown Flake is available in the USA from 4 Noggins so no need to pay UK prices for it.

Remember that tobacco is very expensive in the UK. Anywhere between two and three times what it costs in the USA and there is very little difference in price between bulk, OTC and artisan tobaccos so choose wisely.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. jarit

jarit

Login to Send PM

Remember that tobacco is very expensive in the UK. Anywhere between two and three times what it costs in the USA and there is very little difference in price between bulk, OTC and artisan tobaccos so choose wisely.

It's indeed odd that a pouch of Clan costs the same as a tin of good quality tobacco. This is due to the tobacco tax making the most of the price, I suppose? Here in Finland where tobacco costs roughly the same than in the UK, the pouched OTCs (Amphora, Clan, a few Mac Barens) is maybe 30% cheaper than the tinned tobaccos (you only find those in the very few tobacconists we still have here).

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. titus

titus

Login to Send PM

Thanks for everyone's advice. This is where my list is at so far:

1-Germain’s-Rich Dark Flake
    2-Mick McQuaid -Mick McQuaid Plug
    3-Samuel Gawith-Scotch Cut Mixture
    4-Murrays-Warrior Plug
    5-Gawith, Hoggarth & Co-Revor Plug
    6-Orlik-Punchbowle

Gonna be expensive! Don't hesitate to suggest any changes.

Titus

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I think you’ve got your list just about right. Having tried Warrior Plug for the first time yesterday I can now fully recommend it. Splendid stuff it is too! Very similar to Mick McQuaid Plug but with a prune aroma in place of Mick McQuaid’s almond aroma.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. kalvort

kalvort

Login to Send PM

Also might want to check out JF Germain's Special Latakia Flake and Brown Flake! And the Robert McConnell blends have good reviews too.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Those are fine tobaccos kalvort but they can be bought in the US for half the cost here in the UK and there are several Robert McConnell blends not available here that are readily available in the US. The same with Mac Baren and you cannot buy anything made by Dan Tobacco here at all. Strange when you consider they are all made in the EU. You cannot buy Castello or Radice pipes here either. All very frustrating.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. titus

titus

Login to Send PM

Thanks again all,

Heading off January, very excited. I'm interested to see whats available in Dubai and what the prices are like. I know the traditional Midwakh pipes are very different, as is the their traditional pipe tobacco Dokha.

Dubai has become a major worldwide shopping destination, its hard to believe western pipes and pipe tobacco's won't be available.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

FVF Plug!!

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. jimbo44

jimbo44

Login to Send PM

Last time through Dubai they had Erinmore Flake, Dunhills and Davidoff baccy's; Erinmore was 20% UK prices, Dunhill 30% and Davidoff 50%. So, if passing through there first, check out what they now have you might fancy rather than UK prices.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dubai airport duty free has an outstanding selection of Cuban cigars at very reasonable prices if that interest you.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. titus

titus

Login to Send PM

All,

Well back from a fantastic trip. Thanks for all your suggestions before I left. Here are my purchases:

Erinmore Flake x5 (picked it up at the Dubai airport as it was stupid cheap)
    John Sinclair-Highland Sliced
    Mick McQuaid Plug
    SG-Scotch Cut Mixture
    Murray-Rich Dark Flake
    Falcon Pipe (straight walled)
    Midwakh pipe and Dokha

Went to a few tobacco stores on my travels:

City Cigar-Vancouver, Canada (awesome service)
    Segar and Snuff-Covent Garden, London
    Davidoff London-St. James St, London
    James J Fox-St. James St, London
    Smokers Place-Dubai Mall, UAE

Dubai is amazing!

Have fun all!

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. domminigan

domminigan

Login to Send PM

Looks like you made out like a seven legged midget in a purse snatching competition in Times Square! Hopefully smoking these will always remind you of your travels.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   p40warhawk, voorhees, cosmicfolklore, tonym99, armonts, lightxmyfire, greeneyes, charmcitygentleman, seldom, the85boro, orlandofurioso, bluegrassbrian, dukdalf, lawdawg, civilwar, generalzod