PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Hello all pipers, missed you so much, sorry for not being active past month, a lot of home work had to be done and almost finished. So, i'm back again and hope I'm still that active member.
Regarding to my topic title, yes!! I'm planning for a trip to south eastern of Asia but really confused among three choices; 1.Thailand, 2.Malaysia, 3.Indonesia. So I need your opinions, experience and help to decide. I'm not alone in the trip, we are 7 persons plus two childs. Members are 3 families:
1. Me (30 years), my wife (26 years), and my son (1.5 years)

2. My father (58 years), mother (55 years) and sister (26 years)

3. Second sister (26 years), brother-in-law (33 years) and their son (2.5 years)
As you see we have alot of age varaties that might be very hard to please all at one time, but I try to arrange the best for all members.
So, which destination will be better for us? what are points of interest of each choice? and how about safety? what about your experience, your opionions and help? are there special care should I take before travel like drugs or vaccinations? What about treating kids during flight? is it safe for them? How about pipe smoking there, should I take my TAD from here or can I get some baccy locally there? A lot of questions are there and worthy discussion.
Waiting for your replys firends.

pufferissimo

Might Stick Around
Jan 20, 2012
Hi Hany!
I live in Jakarta, Indonesia. I would love to answer your questions.

Drop me an email (i sent through PM) or lets discuss over Instant Messages (Yahoo Messenger, Gmail, etc)

ahpui

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2012
Hi, Thailand would be good either Bangkok the captial or some resort place like Puhket or Koh Sumui.
Malaysia wise, maybe the captial KL or some other resort island like in Penang.
Indonesia, I am sure Pufferissimo can give better advice. I only know of Batam, Bintan or Bali.
If you have some specific things to do, maybe you can list it out. It can help to decide where you want to go.
My take, for a idling holiday, nothing beats Phuket.... yet!

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
@ahpui...thanks friend; let's talk a little bit abiut Phuket, what are the activities there? is it only for relaxation on the beach, or can I find some other activities like boat trips for example?

ahpui

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2012
I was there only to idle.... Practically eat, sleep, dip in the pool and drink the Chang Beer..... Stayed in a small resort along Patong beach. Walking distance to the shopping mall area.
From what I know, you can snorkel, dive or island hopping but I am a lazy ass so not really sure how to go about that.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
After searching many discussion and tips on the internet, we decided to go to Phuket, Thailand. Wonderful place, suitable for all ages and many activities available. So let's move the thread to the next step; your tips and advices for travellers; like what to take care of, clothes tips, etc.
Waiting for your shares!!!!!!!

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Thailand is amazing. Friendly people, beautiful landscapes and great food. I'm not sure I can offer lots of travel tips as I haven't travelled with a family type group. Used to travel with my best friend and we spent our trip kayaking and camping on the beaches. Obviously I took as little as possible, since a kayak can't hold too much. :lol:
I'm sure you will have an amazing trip and please post pics!!
Josh

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
agree never drink the water.. never eat vegetables or fruit that have been washed in the local water. never drink kool-aid, etc.. made with local water. wash everything in bottled water that isn't being cooked. travel as light as possible. you're a better man then me traveling there with a 1.5 and 2.5 kids.. be sure before leaving you get from your doc an assortment of meds particularly for the kids with diarrhea and stomach problems. it not IF it will happen it's when it will happen.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
@josh...Thanks friend, it is my frist time to travel in such group (used to travel with two friends only), my backpack is always ready and it is the only thing i take with me. I'm not sure about the rest of the group but I will give the advice. asking for pics !!!??? I'm an amature photographer with more than 12 years of experince so don't worry and prepare yourself for massive album (I'll take my best mate, the Nikon D90, 3 lenses and the carbon fiber tripod).
@tokerpipes...Thanks for the advice, I will avoid the tap water.
@dochudson...Thanks alot friend for the great advices. Only one kid (1.5) will come. I'll follow your advice and ask the doc for the required meds, and totally agree with you "it not IF it will happen it's when it will happen".
Another important point, what do you suggest to dress? I'm thinking of shorts (up to knee), cotton t-shirts, and some sort of sandles or slipper. Any suggestions?
Still waiting for other pipers advices, especially those who visitied Thailand.

Status
Not open for further replies.