Trip to Europe what tobacco to buy in Austria?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Have an emergency trip to Europe. Wifes grandmother broke her hip and is doing so so. She wants to see her 5 yr old great grand daughter. So off to Europe I go. Not really looking forward to it as my back does not like long travel. Since I have to go I want to take advantage of the trip. I know I want to get some John Aylesbury Luxury Flake. I remember reading about a Europe only version of Penzance or Stonehaven. My initial stop is in Serbia but will be going to check out Austria while there. Most likely Vienna. So anything to look for, must visit pipe shops? Also to those who have been to Austria are there any sites I need to check out?

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
Austria has many attractions to see. Gorgeous country. Also check Serbia, Croatia... You can find many beautiful places well worth visit.

In the center of Vienna there is a good pipe shop: http://www.pipes.at/

if you'll be passing Graz, you should stop in Center West shopping center (Ikea is also there), located by the highway, where you can find best tobacco shop in this part of the Europe. Dreier pfeifen shop or something like that. lots of pipes and very good tobacco selection.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
@ sajgre, I have been to Serbia a few times already as SWMBO is from there. Some neat stuff there, #1 being Kalamagdon Fortress. There has been some sort of fortification there since before the Roman times. But not a big tobacco culture there other than cigarettes.
I may or may not have been going past Graz before but I will be now as well as the one in Vienna.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
You're looking for Germain's Rich Dark flake which is supposed to be basically bulk stonehaven available in Europe only.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Germain's Rich Dark flake.......YES that's the one. Thank you

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Get yourself a pipe while you're there! You'll smoke away the baccy before too long, but a good pipe would be just the thing for a memento.
I guess that's only if you want to remember this trip.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Granny is like 86 and has always been spry. I think she will pull through. My wifes sister is a nurse and has been taking time off work to look after her and she is doing a lot better so I dont think the trip will be a bad one. I do plan on getting a pipe for sure. On the list is 20 tins of JA Lux flake and a pound or 2 of the RDF. I really am after some estate pipes. I just do not like smoking a new pipe and the value is cut in half. So its not to say if I see a must have that I will not get it but would prefer a couple of estates in excellent condition. So if anyone knows anything about the estate scene over there I would like to know.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
contacted jorgesoler and he hails from the UK, is a Austrian economist though.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Can you mail yourself packages every day and then take the 'duty free' limit home? How will all that work?
Just curious in case I get to Europe.
Sorry about your wife's Grandma. Hope she recovers quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.