Tried Wessex Brigade Dark Flake ... wow!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Thanks to a very generous forum member, he sent me a healthy sample of Wessex BCDF which I finally got around to smoking for the first time.
And it was good. Real good. I'd place it in my Top 5.
With that blend being unavailable short of raiding Harris or Peck's cache of tins ... I mean cellar. Is there anything close to similar so far as being smooth burning, no bite, a touch of sweetness and a mild, cool smoke?

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I know of several small B&Ms that have it in stock- prices are a bit higher than normal, but PM me if you want info.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
There is one dependable B&M in town that has a sizeable selection. I may have to give them a call...

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yep, it is indeed a great tobacco. Smooooth, and delicious! I've got a decent stockpile of it, but keep on plugging as it is available from time to time from the online retailers. Just have them notify you when it's in stock and check daily on other sites then... grab it! Not as all hard to get as some of the Esoterica blends, which I have no interest in other than perhaps some Stonehaven. Tried it, but I prefer and like ODF better, or some FVF. :wink:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
+1 cobguy, I have read that FVF is similar, though I haven't gotten around to it quite yet.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
phil67, are you comparing Stonehaven to ODF and FVF? Because those are completely different animals. Other than all being flakes.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I bought about 25 tins of the BCDF and have one open that Peck graciously sent to me before it became available. I also have 250g of FVF that I bought last September and just opened one of the jars this weekend so I can smoke it next week for my birthday. I am looking forward to the FVF and really do like the BCDF. I am looking forward to smoking it with some real age on it.

masonwarden

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2014
Worst tobacco I've ever had, don't believe any of these guys.

Exactly, shaintiques, it's a big con to distract everyone with this blend while they stockpile Mixture 79

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
phil67, are you comparing Stonehaven to ODF and FVF? Because those are completely different animals. Other than all being flakes.
Why not compare? Others have done so, albeit not on this thread. Don’t get me wrong as I find Stonehaven to be quite good, but certainly not worth all the fuss and accolades that is attributed to it. Bottom line... I’ve had better, but that’s just my opinion.
Exactly, shaintiques, it's a big con to distract everyone with this blend while they stockpile Mixture 79
Right... Mixture 79 is pipe tobaccos answer to smoking Nước chấm. lol

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Why not compare?
Well, I would think in order for comparisons to be relevant, they should be at least similar. To me this seems like saying, "I am not all that impressed with apple pie, I like eggs benedict better." I understand that you think Stonehaven isn't the end all, and neither do I.

Status
Not open for further replies.