PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I received a tin of this along with others for Christmas and finally got around to trying it out today! Looks like a delicious dense dark chocolate brownie at first glance! Could almost take a bite out of it :D It was still in the plastic wrapper (I had it in a mason jar, don't think it mattered being in plastic) so I opened that up and got hit with a delicious smell! I went through my knife collection and grabbed my sharpest knife (not sharp enough!) and went at it. I let it dry for about 20 mins, packed it in a proven great flake smoker and went at it. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting but still a nice smoke. Not too much flavor on my charring light and then it didn't require too many relights after that. I have seen some warn of the "nic hit" but I received what I could only call a "nic high"!! Even in the small bowl I smoked it hit me hard, don't tell anyone but I kinda liked it! :rofl:
I have seen many talk of a plum like taste while smoking which I only tasted as an after taste. While smoking it was the grassy hay like taste that was most prominent. Granted there will be a learning curve on how to best smoke any plug like tobacco and this one is no exception, but it smoked it almost down to the bottom till I had to stop!! Hopefully the delayed gratification technique will shine with this when I finish up the rest later. I will come back to it in a week or so if I can help myself and see if the slight exposure to oxygen for that short time will change the flavor profile a bit. I don't have the funds to buy a tin to set aside and let age for a bit like it should so I will enjoy what I have. You all know me and know I had to snap a picture to share. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a nice VA. I wouldn't label this as an aromatic but some may.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Nice review, this is a fine smoke. I get a spicy note at times, not unlike perique. One of my favorites.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for a great picture to accompany a great post. 3P's seems to be really popular -- and I like it too;

but the plug format is too much work for me.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The only Peterson blend I've smoked is Hyde Park, which tasted like what I imagine it would be like to smoke the wrapper from a bar of soap. Maybe I should try this one though. Has anyone tried putting it in one of those electric food choppers?

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Nice review, letting some slices dry now. Plugs are some work but it's one of the many things that make pipe smoking unique. It's something that everyone should add to their knowledge base. Pease Jackknife is another good one but needs some age. The difference a year makes is worth the wait.
Craig

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have tried this too and I enjoyed it very much including the nicotine kick I had out of it. However I did make a mistake and that was not putting it in a jar. I left it in the tin for a couple of weeks and when I came back to it had become very dry and when I tried to smoke it again it was really quite acrid and I had to dump the bowl.
I did try rehydrating it but to no avail. Just could not get that rich and satisfying taste back from it. I would not want to let this stuff get like that again.
That said the bowls I did get out of it before I made this error were memorable enough for me to want to buy this again. As Sallow said above I too got waves of spice with it. It is the only Peterson tobacco I have tried to date and perhaps based on this stuff I should try some more.
James

Status
Not open for further replies.