PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

justdafacts

Lurker
Oct 31, 2017
When I bought my first pipe a little over a year ago (perhaps close to 2 yrs), I headed over to the local tobacco shop near my house and showed them my new pipe and asked for help! The clerk recommended and sold me 1 ounce of Lane 1Q. I smoked it and was not too sure about how I liked it. I went Online and bought a few different tobaccos - Frog Morton Cellar, Nightcap, Early Morning Pipe, My Mixture 965, Earle's Nightwatch, Balkan Blue and a couple others. Most of those blew the Lane 1Q out of the water. I stored the Lane 1Q in a sealed jar and it has waited patiently for over 1 year. Last night I opened the jar, and packed my bowl with the Lane 1Q and really enjoyed it. Very smooth and very sweet, I suspect the Virginia tobacco is the sweetness. I usually only smoke 1 packed bowl a night, but I enjoyed this tobacco so much, I pulled out a cob pipe and smoked another bowl. Is this common and what other similar experiences do you guys have? I was a bit surprised how much better I liked it after the year break from it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My experience is that my tastes change over time. I used to smoke Sobranie Original Mixture and 759, then Captain Black, then I tried other blends, moved into English/Oriental/Balkan blends and now mostly smoke Virginias, Va/Pers/ and their variants. Recently I've added some Englsh/Oriental/Balkan blends back into rotation and once in a while I'll smoke an aro.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I like 1Q too , but for me it is the contrast it provides with other tobaccos i smoke. It’s fine on its own and also serves as my baseline when I amp up and start style’n.

I think that our tastes change as we develop a palate for the different nuances within the tobacco. What you may hate today just might end up being an all time favorite years from now. And, the ones that you love right now, could become repulsive to you later on. That is just how it works. Hang on to things you hate, because it could taste completely different to you later on down the line.
Mood, tastes, time of day, season, what I've eaten, body chemistry, past experiences, all sort of mingle together to tell us what is good and bad, and can change on a dime.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
What Sable said: "My experience is that my tastes change over time." 1-Q is not a bad aro at all...probably one of the better non-special blends. I found it to improve after being in an old Comoy ceramic humidor for 5 years as a forgotten item.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Definitely. I'm always recommending that new pipe smokers save the blends they don't like in jars and try them some time, like a year, later. I find 1-Q a little skewed toward the flavoring, but for many new pipe smokers, that's a good thing. That you doubled back and enjoyed it is kind of nifty. I came back to aromatics somewhat after several years with mostly non-, and find a good tobacco forward aro is a fine change of pace. I always remember, 95%-plus of pipe tobacco sold is aromatic, so that's what keeps the industry alive.

Reactions: ChippewaAce

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
When in doubt, Q-1 is always a safe bet. It's my personal favorite, alternating with P&C's Trout Stream.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know why it's called 1-Q. One of the moderators of the past did a list of the names given 1-Q by various chains and individual pipe shops, and as i recall, he came up with scores of aliases. I think Tinder Box used to call it "Wilshire" for the street one of their early shops was on, in L.A. I've always thought these designations were momentary inspirations that stuck.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
1-Q mixed 50/50 with BCA... Wow! My tastes are definitely leaning away from aromarics but that mix is by far my favorite.

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
My first smoke was 1-Q but since then I have added lots of other blends and been smoking my way through them. Eventually after a couple of months I got back to the 1-Q and it tasted awful (was stored in a mason jar). I put it down to the fact that my palette has adapted. I seem to lean towards unflavoured blends, so I guess this is not unexpected.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
What is 1Q , the non offensive politically correct movie , the lite beer you serve at parties for people who don’t drink , the shirt and jeans you wear out grocery shopping
I wouldn’t call it bad , I like it and will probably always keep a little on hand , ne quid nimis

Status
Not open for further replies.