PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
After many years of swearing I'd never try it because of the hype and price, a jar of Penzance stared me in the face this morning at the B&M. After fighting with myself I decided I'd been spiting no one but me for all these years, I grabbed an ounce (the max quality they would sell me). AT $6 an ounce, it was cheaper than most of the tinned stuff they sell in there.
Was it the best English/Oriental I've ever had? *heavy sigh* Probably.
Here's the thing, though, and I'm sure someone else has made the observation along the way: I'll bet dollars to donuts if you pressed 965 with just a bit of Virginia, I'm not yet sure which one, I wouldn't be able to tell it from Penzance. They are close. Real close.
So I have an ounce of Penzance now, minus 2 bowls. It is good, but I'll never buy more.

May 4, 2015
It really is. I think what I liked about it the most was how consistent it was, even on relights toward the bottom. It's a very nice, balanced and smooth blend.
I'm going to make a little press and see how close I can get to it with my 965 theory.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Gave the rest of mine to a couple of friends. Around 24 oz. More of a "And So To Bed" smoker here.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, I like it but I enjoy Exotique much, much more. I'm currently working out deals with a forum member to trade off the rest of my Penzance for Condor. I can see why people love it though and I'm certainly not trying to knock anyone for loving it. It's all just a matter of personal taste. Personally, everything I've tried from Esoterica (including Stonehaven) is not worth the hunt. I got caught up in the hype in my early years... It was a little bit easier to get a hold of then so I'm set for life but if possibly trade my Stonehaven for more Condor.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I had some Penzance some years ago, I recall the tin (or bag) note was quite offputting, smelled kind of like compost to me. I almost refused to light up, but truth be told it tasted a lot better than I expected. It wasn't really my cup of tea though, and that coupled with the spotty availability I never bought any more. MM965 I like. Different enough from Nightcap that I keep both on hand. Nightcap I sometimes cut with BCA or BRM for a tasty change of pace. MM965's taste is unique and complex enough that I've never been tempted to smoke it any way but pure.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Hawk, while I LOVE most of Esotericas lineup, which might I add ages STUNNINGLY, I'll take Exotique over pretty much everything. My top five change almost daily, but Exotique is ALWAYS in my top five and usually in my top three. It is the tobacco I fear losing the most. I currently have 30'ish tins and I'll be ordering more. Its The Definative English tobacco.
Hawk, if interested, I'll trade some OBB for Penzance ;)

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
The Penzance I smoked around the millenium was nothing like the 965 of that same period. To me they were completely different. But I cannot state on the actual version not having had the privilige to have smoked it yet. Based on my memory GLP Gaslight and SPC Plum pudding come close.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I've got some 'zance, never opened it. I've tried the tobaccos said to be similar, I love'em. But I don't grab for them. I love the Bur/Va/Per's and the Rumper way too much. It's hot in GA right now and the last thing I want is an English.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Tom that was the Bur/Va/Per that was in my minds eye. Had some HB in a 5Star Mcarthur this morning with coffee. HB and OJK are the best.

May 4, 2015
That Haunted Bookshop is a special, special blend.
I've resisted opening my tin of OJK. I don't know how much longer I can hold out - but I have so much open right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.