PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Just gave a first try to Erinmore Flake and loved it!

I left the tin in my car for 2 days and then baked it for 3 hours at 195F. I think it was Old Cajun who suggested baking this stuff and he was right.

The tobacco was dark with a rich fruity flavor. I am not sure it was "Juicy Fruit" flavor, but it was fruity and had a nice peppery note from the Burley when exhaled through the nose.

I think I will try baking PS LNF next to see if it improves as well.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've been meaning to try this with a Va and a VaPer as well.
Thanks for the heads-up!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Are you saying I can put some Luxury Navy Flake in the oven for three hours at 185°? What will happen? Wrap it in aluminum foil first?

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I am no expert here, the Erinmore was my first attempt at baking. What I am going to try is just putting some LNF in a small mason jar for 3-6 hours and see if it makes the LNF any better than it is currently. The baking is supposed to take the new rough edges off of the tobacco, sort of like speeding up the aging process. LNF is pretty good as is but if it improves more that would be great. I guess wrapping in aluminum foil wouldn't hurt.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Here's a thread using Erinmore as an example:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tame-your-erinmore#post-409360
Searching the internet I've seen different times / temps but they are similar.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
... putting some LNF in a small mason jar
Don't bake it with the rubber gasket lids ... use foil on the tops and then lid them after cooling some.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Dr. Fred Hanna was the first person I'm aware of who spoke of tin baking. I don't remember if the previous post has this so I'll include it here. Below is a link to his Google groups post where he re-prints the original article in NASPC's The Pipe Collector". It is a good read. Dr. Hanna is a heck of a nice guy who knows a LOT about this little hobby of ours. I've never tried it because my cellar is full of stuff aged the old fashioned way.
Mike S.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.smokers.pipes/cHpl-Ro8ib8

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I've baked Erinmore, and love the results, but I suspect that part of me may like the smell during/after baking just as much.
For what it's worth, I've only baked unopened tins. I also baked some OGS with similar results.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
baked1.jpg

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
OK I need to order a few tins and try this. Dammit! I just placed an order earlier this week.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Interesting! I just smoked some Erinmore today. Has anyone tried this with other blends such as St. James Flake, or perhaps FVF? Either way, I'll have to give this a shot with some Erinmore. I seriously doubt that I'd give it a try with something like Escudo as it seems just great the way it is straight out of the tin. But, nonetheless... interesting to say the least.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Interesting! I just smoked some Erinmore today. Has anyone tried this with other blends such as St. James Flake, or perhaps FVF? Either way, I'll have to give this a shot with some Erinmore. I seriously doubt that I'd give it a try with something like Escudo as it seems just great the way it is straight out of the tin. But, nonetheless... interesting to say the least.

While putting together an order I thought about throwing Capstan or FVF. Due to their costs vs Erinmore I thought it'll be better for someone else to give it a shot first.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I haven't compared baked versus aged.

If anyone has done a comparison I would be curious as to the differences/ similarities between the two.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Well, I'll certainly give it a try with some Erinmore, but that will have to wait until the cooler months arrive. I'm sure as hell not going to turn my freaking oven on for 5 to 6 hours during the hot summer months. I hate using the A/C in the home unless its absolutely necessary (I hate canned air), and I'm certainly not going to turn it on because the house is heating up over a lousy tin of tobacco in the oven! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.