PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I was a pure match man, until several months ago, I decided to pick up a pipe lighter. Coming from cigars, I've been a fan of Room 101's designs, and thought, if I was going to make an investment, I might as well pick up one of the limited IM Corona Diamonds.
I have no complaints regarding its craftsmanship, nor convenience; and, without the accumulation of the small lumberyard, I've gained an abundance of available ashtray real-estate. It's quick, easy, and ready to go! It's like learning to operate a standard transmission diesel, only to secretly buy an automatic hybrid, and hoping your friends don't see you.
So, on to the question: I keep my fire set middle-to-low, and "dip" the flame into the bowl a few times when relighting; however, on occasion, I seem to slightly char/darken the pipe's rim. This wasn't an issue I ever encountered (or, at least, aware of) with wooden matches. Are there some tried-and-true techniques, or suggestions, to minimize, if not completely eliminate, this issue? -- Or is this just the nature of the butane beast?

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
On a pipe I wish to keep uncharred I wont fill it so full and even use a hemp lighter often so there is a very small flame. The hemp lighter requires another lighter to light it however but is by far my favorite way to light up that special pipe. I sometimes light a candle to have a ready flame for the hemp lighter. The match is good for this as you found but at times I am preoccupied with talking of typing on the forum here and let it go out. I want a quick fire and lighters work but again the special pipe needs a bit of care to keep it pristine. Often its not charred however and just tarred up where some saliva will rub it back to the briar as you know I'm sure.
Bottle with hemp line in it.

14aihkp.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
With butane: hold the lighter parallel to the floor and above the rim. Breath will draw the hottest part of the flame, the tip, to caress and fire up your tobacco. Works for all but the bottom of deep chambers.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've been using hemp wick and lighting it with a torch butane lighter for awhile now and I love it.

The torch hits that wick and the wick jumps into life almost instantly. I can pull out more wick while it's lit if I feel the need, and I can gently light my tobacco with a cooler burning fire source.

It's very relaxing to use because there's no time limit or raging blaze.

A flick of the wrist and a pinch of the finger and the wick is out. No smoke. Ya gotta pinch it though or it will smolder.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I use jmp's technique. I still prefer matches, but when smoking outside, a lighter is necessary (most of the time).
I use the Thunderbird insert for Zippo case. You can keep the flame set pretty low, so with some care, damage is zero as long as you don't overpack the bowl.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I sometimes light a candle to have a ready flame for the hemp lighter.
I use Zippo pipe lighters and have a couple nice butane lighters too. To date I haven't had trouble with rim darkening on my pipes. I like the hemp wick too when I have time to sit and relax in the evening. I like to keep an unscented candle lit to light the wick with. It's relaxing and adds a little something unique to the lighting/smoking experience. :puffy:

coraxsnag

Lurker
Feb 13, 2015
Look for a Djeep lighter - they're a third again as wide as a Bic, and let you hold the lighter completely upside down without scorching yourself.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I keep a thin layer of beeswax on the rim. That way, when smoking outside, the flame won't damage the rim if the wind horses it around a little.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Get in and get out fast. There is a video somewhere were an advocate of torch lighters demonstrates that charring is dependent on contact time. He torches a chunk of briar (maybe someone knows the link?)

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Spit on rim.
In a pinch I'll use this method, with forethought I'll use a bit of beeswax. I also only bring the flame to the pipe as I'm drawing in and remove the flame before I'm finished drawing - its better to make this quick and sharp and repeat it twice or thrice than let the flame linger around.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Matches on my good briars. Cobs I use butane and zippo lighters. I screwed up a nice Sav (charred the rim slightly) if you can call a charred rim slight, a number of years ago while smoking in the dark. Broke me real quick. Of late I have caught myself over filling my pipes on several occasions. This will char them as quick as anything else. I was getting in some hurried smokes. I finally realized if I was in that much of a hurry it was better to pass until I could relax and enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.