PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Sometimes all the flakes or coins in a tin are stuck together in a single mass, which makes folding and stuffing impossible because the flakes just come apart when you pry one off. I seem to have particularly bad luck with Orlik DSK. Is there a trick you use for separating out the flakes? I've tried drying out the whole tin, warming it up a bit, etc. - so far, no luck.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Maybe us a razor blade or a thin knife blade of some sort to run between the flakes. I get this with Escudo sometimes. But, normally, can gently pull them apart or squeeze them from the sides and they kind of pop apart.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Pull them apart as best you can and you now have broken flakes. Just had this with a tin of Wessex Gold Slice. Not a big deal, I'm enjoying that tin thoroughly.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just had this with a tin of Wessex Gold Slice.
Crap, it's almost 2 in the morning here and I'm going to have to dig through my closet to find that one. :rofl:

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Yeah, not even a knife and a lot of patience help much. Thanks, though. I was hoping there's just some simple trick that I hadn't heard of, but I guess not. Oh well. As long as it burns, right? A lot of the tins I got this winter were frozen solid from sitting on the porch for a few hours in sub-zero weather. Maybe that's why the flakes have sort of fused together into solid nuggets.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
My only experience with Orlik DSK (which I freaking love, by the way) has been exactly the same. All but two flakes were stuck together in one large mass. Just gotta break them apart as best you can, but it seems like the dark fired Kentucky edges want to break off while leaving the VA center intact. Can be tricky to get the appropriate combination of the two. I’m tempted to rub out the whole tin next time before I jar it, that way it’s fairly homogenous and just pack it from there.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If I get some stuck together I just kind of bend them and then use a knife to separate. I have never had my tins sit in sub zero weather so no experience there.

Status
Not open for further replies.