PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Was wonderin how many fellow (& fellowettes)forum members were planin on attending the Pipe expo this weekend (Apr 8th) in Raleigh?
http://www.tapsclub.us/page1/page1.html
Dino

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We have a social engagement we had to put off until Saturday, but with luck, I'll make it over there later in the day. It's a good pipe show, as of last year in new larger venue. Last year I received the last freebie Missouri Meerschaum feed cap and bought an incredible Bob Hayes bamboo stem Dublin at a price I couldn't refuse and a Cocobolo pocket pipe from Jerry Perry, plus a pipe tool, and came home with a goody bag supplemented by baggies of samples. Don't know about those samples this year. It's worth the time, better if you have a half day to spend. You tend to spend some money, but there are some real bargains to be had. This is the only venue other than the State Fair in October where Jerry Perry sells his hand-carved pipes, so take a look at those. He's one of the few carvers who regularly works in Mountain Laurel, in addition to briar, Cocobolo and maple, maybe others. I'd definitely consider a Mountain Laurel pipe; they are good smokers and are durable.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I wonder if these pipe and tobacco shows will still exist years from now. Wish there was something closer to my region :( to those going please take/post photos so that we can live vicariously.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Wow! What a great little event.
My son Nick and I just got back home, stopped in Cary on the way home and had Sushi. :)
First of all, to all the folks @ Triangle Area Pipe Smokers club for making this happen. Secondly, thank you to all of the various vendors for taking time to make this a very enjoyable event.
A special shout out to JimInks. I appreciate you making me aware of this event and it was great to finally meet ya in person.
Also a shout out to Caa55. Great meeting you Chuck. Thanks for the tobacco flakes sample. Already in a ziploc baggie. :) Also, got the Chess Championship playing on the tv as I type.
Met a lot of really nice folks, only one turd in the punchbowl, a fella selling estate pipes that was definitely the most unfriendly person there. No worries though, plenty of other nice folks and beautiful pipes.
The craftsmanship on the artisan pipes there was amazing. The first time for my son and I to attend such an event and definitely the first time to actually see some of these amazing works of art up close. Sorry, but I completely forgot to get any pictures.
Now for the most amazing news of the event. Ok, prolly not amazing for some folks but definitely for me.
I won the raffle for the free pipe!

I was sitting out in the smoking area visiting with Chuck and my son when I heard the announcer calling out raffle #'s. When we got back in a fella had just won a leather pipe pouch and they were calling the winning number for the pipe. No one had the #.
After calling it out both inside and out they did a last call and then drew another number... 256. I'm looking through my strip of tickets, I'd purchased 10 $1 tickets, 249 thru 258. I was surprised, as I was standing right behind the man calling out the #'s and asked him to repeat it. Sure enough, I had it!
Woo hoo! :D
After the raffle was over, we made our way back out to finish smoking our pipes and visiting with different folks out there.
Then it was time to make another round through the event and pick up some tobacco.

You can see that I took advantage of the sample offerings @ the Lane booth, picked up a dozen or so from them. Very nice and helpful folks.
All of the round tins were a result of Jim taking mercy on me and helping me select some blends to help me round out my cellar. Being a relative noob to this pipe scene thing, I have come to realize that the majority of inventory was English blends and Aromatics. (I love me some MM965 and Frog Morton) Jim helped me pick up some VaPer blends, Burley blends, and even one with Yenidge Raccon Accent (the one I'm smokin now in a beautiful little restored Kaywoodie Supergrain Apple with a beautiful tapered fishtail thin stem.
Oh, yeah, I also picked up some old obscure square tin. I think the guy said it was called... Penzance. Said he was having a hard time selling it and that he would just give it to me since my son had purchased a pipe from them. :P
Ok, Ok, I'm kidding. About him giving it to me anyway. The truth is that we were looking at a bunch of estate pipes that this gentleman and his wife had, great folks from Clinton NC. He also had a bunch of older/aged tins that they were selling. I almost pulled the trigger on a 12 year old tin of MM965.
My son bought a really neat no name freehand with very unique rustication from them. While he was paying them the $15 they were asking for it (great price really) I in passing asked if they had grown tired of folks asking them if they had any Penzance. Thinking of course, that since it is all but impossible to find, that they would have sold out of it long ago if they had any at all. It was then that he said. "No, I haven't had anyone ask for it, but I think that I do have one".
I was almost speechless. I thought that it and Stonehaven were all but "Unobtanium". Truth be told, I more than likely paid too much for it, but did get the gentleman down $25 off from his original asking price. Nice older gentleman, but he told me he knew it was quite sought after, but that he wasn't completely sure of the age of the tin.

So, if anyone out there is familiar with a possible age of this unopened tin, I'd be appreciative of any information you might have.
Well that's all for now folks.
Thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, what great samples! I'm glad I got myself a "consolation prize" at smokingpipes, but obviously, you had to be there. Beautiful pipe, yours.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Had a very fun time at the TAPS convention. Took our state Lt. Governor around the show and had long talks about pipes and tobaccos as he wants to learn how to smoke a pipe. Basil Meadows specially crafted a pipe for the man, which he really loved. I taught him what to look for in a pipe and tobacco: how to pack a pipe, pick a tobacco, pick a pipe, how to smoke a pipe, etc. He was getting the hang of it after a few minutes. I'm going to see him again in a couple weeks for a cigar party (he doesn't smoke cigars), and bring him more samples to try as he discovers his tastes. I also got his son interested in smoking a pipe, and he bought a nice one from Basil.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
So, if anyone out there is familiar with a possible age of this unopened tin, I'd be appreciative of any information you might have.

The clue would be on the back. Does it say Arango? 8O

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jiminks, that is so cool, having a little state government interest in pipe smoking. He couldn't have had a better guide and teacher, our emissary to state government.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I also worked at Basil Meadows table and at Mark Ryan's table. Met a few new friends, and a few old ones. Mark gave me plenty of opened tubs and tins, so I'm set for a while. Couldn't have had a better time.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
This evening keeps gettin better.
Decided to do a little google fu on my Luciano pipe. Wow...
https://www.thepipetart.com/luciano/Luciano-pipes-lu19.html
Definitely stoked. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.