PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
As a novice smoker who enjoys Frog Morton (original) very much but who wants to try other English/Oriental/Scottish options, I have put together a tentative order with the help of Russ Oulette at Pipes and Cigars and my own research. Wanted to run it by to see if I am overdoing the sampling all at once. Plans include Mt. Marcy, Black House, Magnum Opus, Ambassador and Sunjammer. (With a side of Frog Morton Cellar and Red Cake thrown in.) Afraid that I might be trying too much at once and will overpower my ability to differentiate. Appreciate helpful thoughts!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've explained on other threads that I like to rotate to aros or less blended tobaccos in between English blends.

You might try this, if there is something like Carter Hall or Q-1 that you like. That might clear your taste buds

between more complex blends. I find this sets me up nicely between, say, MM965 and Nat Sherman 536.

I have Royal Yacht, G.L. Pease Westminster, and Frog Morton Original waiting in the wings, but like you, I

don't want to crowd my senses, and a little aging can be a good thing.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I find I can tell a big difference in blends when smoked side by side. I currently have about a dozen Latakia blends open at the moment, including all of the Frogs, and I enjoy rotating them on a daily basis. I hate being stuck with only a couple of blends to rotate! I've been there, and didn't like it! Do I have more blends open than I should? Probably, but that's the way I like it! I do find it's good to throw your taste buds a curve ball with an aro or burley every now and then. It works pretty well. Nice order by the way, Black House and Mt. Marcy are the only H&H Latakia blends I've had and they are very good!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
To roth's point about puting some time between the lat belnds I would definitely wait a couple of days between the Black House and Magnum Opus. I, for one, think MO is the superior blend but your take could vary. It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts after your experiments.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I don't think there is anything wrong with getting the whole sampler of lat blends. I do agree that you don't want to smoke nothing but lat blends, and you might want to concentrate on one of those at a time. Smoke the Sunjammer, say - get to know it - maybe smoke it all before you move on to the next. This might help you ease into the lat world. The FMs tend to be lat lightweights, as well as crossovers.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Great selection of tobacco's. I have to tell you that Cellar, Black House and Magnum Opus are my 3 favorite blends.I have a feeling you will really enjoy them.
Roth is right that you should take a break between Lat blends. I find that if I smoke just Lat blends day in and day out that I can't taste it after a while. So I'll take a break with a Virginia(still trying to learn to like these) or some Aro's then when I go back to the Lat I get more of that Lat flavor.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Life is like a box of chocolates.... So is tobacco! I rotate 3 or 4 completely different blends every day, and this allows me to get the most from each blend. If I were you, I would do a side by side comparison on a bowl of each in the same pipe (might take a few days, to allow the pipe to rest). Cleanse your palate between bowls, with a light drink, or perhaps some plain tobacco like Prince Albert. That would give me an idea of what the profile is of each blend.

Then, I would smoke ONE of the blends in a few different pipes, because that will make a difference as well.

Take notes!

I have discovered that a blend I don't like in one pipe tastes great, to me, in another. For instance, I like Dunhill EMP in a corncob pipe, but not in a briar pipe. On the other hand, I love GLP Cairo in a briar, but it sucks in a corncob.
Above all, have fun, and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.