PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
I'm wondering if TSA will give me any trouble if I take a mason jar of tobacco in a carry on. (I don't usually check bags.)
Will they know what it is? Will they think it is something worse than mere pipe tobacco? Are these silly questions?

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
Baccy no issue. Mason jar yes. TSA is not fond of glass containers in carry-on baggage. Recommend transferring to either ziploc, mylar baggies or plastic tupperware.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
+1 as already stated above.
I travel by air with tobacco all the time. No glass jars! I now take only flakes with me, in a tobacco pouch, thus not worried about it drying out and actually the flakes need some drying anyway so it works well. Lighters and matches are not a problem as long as it's an open flame. In Atlanta, I generally get flagged for bag inspection about 1/3 of the time. They are mostly interested in my lighters, but once they see it's an open flame it's not a problem. Lately, I've just been taking a Bic Classic lighter, they recognize that much easier vs my Kiribi lighters, much less risk of getting checked. I've never had problems with my tobcacco, even after the Chicago this year when I brought over 10 tins carry on.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Just traveled from DC to San Diego with no issue; wasn’t hassled at all. Left the lighter and glass at home, as recommended above already. Picked up a pack of matches at the hotel
I did bring my tamper tool which has a ~3-4” spike (errr, pick). Wouldn’t recommend that unless you’re ok with TSA confiscating it. Kind of surprised it made it there and back now that I think about it...

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Another little trick I learned is to put a picture of yourself smoking a pipe, maybe with others at a pipe show, and put it in your pipe bag. Then if TSA checks your pipes, you can show them a picture of you pipe smoking. I learned that trick from Rick Newcombe's book, Still Searching For Pipe Dreams. Honestly, it has worked for me on more than one occasion. When you are in a hurry in the airport, those little tricks help.
Also, I don't travel with a Chzeck tool as mentioned above. I only take a couple of cheap pipe nails and some spare golf tees just in case.

Reactions: Scottmi

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
npod, excellent suggestion on including the snapshot of pipe smoking with buddies. You have to take into account the rules and procedures, but also keep in mind the human factor, the young zealot or old grouch, who wants to make something out of nothing. A generic tobacco pouch (like maybe in plaid) might be good, or better yet a commercial labeled pouch tobacco, so it is clear and obvious what it is. Some young people may not actually know how tobacco smells, whereas one sniff by someone else would identify and clear a package. Anything you can do to dramatize the legality of your tobacco will help. npod's suggestion is kind of brilliant. Help the frazzled TSA people figure out the obvious. Yes, and no glass. Any tins should be originals with commercial labels. I'd take only opened ones, since they might ask you to open them anyway. What a life. Between the airlines and the TSA, any joy or pleasure left in travel is ... a mistake.

ccdeere

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I travel with a tin or tobacco in a plastic bag. Never run into issues with that or my pipes. Leave my pipe tool and cleaners in checked baggage. I hear you can take a lighter, but I don't trust that, so usually travel without and get one at my destination.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Rule on lighters is one lighter, no torch lighters. I’ve heard stories of nice lighters disappearing so I don’t bother bringing my pipe lighter personally.
Here’s some FAA source material that should pair well with a morning smoke on the topic:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_Passengers_Lighters_Faq.pdf

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
The lighter issue is simple, but with a caveat. Technically open flame lighters are allowed and torch lighters (cigar lighters with constant flame ) are not. But here comes the caveat, TSA has ultimate discretion on what they consider safe. Thus, they can at anytime decide not to let a lighter through if they want without any rhyme or reason. I once had a duel flame later confiscated for example. Since then I just take matches and a simple Bic lighter or one of the cheap open flame pipe lighters when I travel.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
You've all had some bad luck traveling.
According to the official website, glass and tobacco and pipes are allowed in both checked and carry-on luggage.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all-list

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
^^^kinda^^^

Yes there are posted “rules” but like I mentioned above TSA officials have the ultimate authority to override the guidelines at point of service if they feel it necessary. That’s the caveat I discussed. My gal works in corporate for a major airline and works directly with TSA and security. She has taught me a lot about the little caveats like this one. But overall, it is almost never a problem and I travel with pipes and cigars all the time with little to no worry.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tobacco and pipes, ¡si!, but I'd avoid glass jars for several reasons.
Probably leave my expensive butanes behind, but have got by with an Old Boy a time or two.
Thanks for posting that list. Good to know I can take aboard as carry on the skeletons I like to travel with.

Status
Not open for further replies.