PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlefoot

Lurker
Jun 1, 2013
Hi all! I've lurked around here for a while now and have found this site in general to be helpful with my deciding and learning to smoke a pipe several months ago. I've used the search function to find a similar topic and didn't find anything quite close enough to what I was looking for; please link me to anything I might have missed.
Anyway, in a few days' time I'm going to be flying to New Zealand, where I'm going to live for about a year, and I'm not sure whether or not I should bring my pipe with me. My main concern is it smelling up my bag (I'm only bringing one), but I'm also concerned about it just sitting in my bag not getting used. See, I'm not an every day smoker--I think on average I've smoked thrice a month since I started, and I doubt it would be all that hard for me to forget about it, especially considering how I still can't consistently pack it well or keep relights to a minimum (lack of practice, I suppose).
I guess I'm hoping to find out whether or not others would think it worth it for me to pack it (my mum certainly doesn't want me to). Are there any ways to prevent my tobacco from smelling up my bag (doubting it, from what I've found)? Does anyone here even know if it's socially acceptable (for a young woman) to smoke a pipe in NZ?
Any other general tips for travelling would be greatly appreciated as well! :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Preventing your pipe from stinking up your bag is simple. Put it in a sealed plastic baggie. As for whether it's worthwhile to bring your pipe along, well, that's for you to decide.
Pipe smokers are a very small part of the population, and a woman smoking a pipe is a very rare phenomenon. You might find that your pipe smoking provides an opportunity to break the ice with another enthusiast. You certainly won't be seen as just part of the herd.
As for social acceptability, who cares? Most people that I encounter love the scent of a pipe. Every time I pass through the gate at the studio the guards always tell me how much they enjoy the aroma from the tobacco that I smoke. The only time I ever had any difficulty was when I drove up without the pipe lit. The guards threatened not to let me past the gate until I fired her up.
As you pointed out, practice makes perfect. Hard to practice without an instrument. If you decide to pack along a pipe, remember to bring along some pipe cleaners as well.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I agree that putting the pipe in a sealed baggie would be the best way to contain the smells. But it's also going to be a bad thing for the pipe. I don't know what the critical time period is, but I would be very cautious about sealing up a pipe in any kind of airtight environment for more than a few hours. Pipes need to be breathe and dry in order to remain smokeable; sealed up, they will start to get rank.
If it's important to you -- and at this point, it may not be -- I'd recommend buying a small zippered pipe pouch or, if you're thinking your hobby might expand, a full-fledged pipe bag, which will hold hold half-a-dozen pipes, along with tampers, cleaners, matches, etc. Whichever, I think a pipe pouch/bag witll help to contain any ash aromas without crippling your pipe in the long run.
Hope you have a great trip!
Bob

May 31, 2012
Welcome littlefoot!
Some very good advice has been offered so far.
Congrats also on the oppo of living in such a beautiful place.
I'd try to take some baccy fersure, or maybe send it in advance if you've got an addy to send it to, I'm unsure of how airlines or customs treat tobacco, but I don't think it'd be much of a problem --- I do know that baccy is very expensive down under though, like ridiculous $$$...
...as talked about on this old thread, by an Aussie female pipesmoker,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/are-any-aussies-here-importing-their-tobacco
...and this thread talks about while on holiday in NZ how difficult it was to even find any pipe tobacco,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tobacco-in-australia
Thanks for posting and many well wishes on your adventure!
I cannot leave this thread without mentioning a couple of my favorite NZ bands,

The Clean and Tall Dwarfs,

(Roy Montgomery is outstanding as well if you like sublime sculptural sonic sounds)

lotsa great music from NZ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVkC8W_-a-8

-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DfJc0Une5g

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
littlefoot, an empty pipe is going to impart little or no tobacco smell to your clothes and

other contents of your luggage. Pipes are small and light, and therefore take up little space

in your luggage. I don't know the cultural predisposition to smoking in New Zealand, but

it is my impression that there is at least a lot of open country. Just smoke with care and

don't start any fires or strew any litter and you will likely be fine outdoors. In town, ask around

what the smoking customs are. Hotels will bill you badly if you smoke in no-smoking rooms, etc.,

at least in the U.S. This trip to New Zealand is a good chance to get out from under family

supervision, and that's a good thing. You'll get a better sense of who you are in your own right.

Better take along pipe cleaners, a pipe tool (a few pipe nails will do it, really small and cheap),

matches, and a modest supply of tobacco, a tin or two, since you don't smoke that much. Safe

passage, and enjoy your independence; this is an important part of your life. To be honest, I

only carry my pipe or pipes in luggage I keep with me, so I can protect them a little. I carry

them in a small nylon toilet kit, or a leather pipe case, depending on the shape and size of the pipes.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I agree with the baggie or you can go a step up with a hard pelican case. As for taking it.... My Sergeant used to say... Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. For what the pipe weights why not take it?

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
I notice very little odor coming from the empty pipes themselves and a ziplock should do the trick. The tobacco however gives off a scent even through sealable baggies. I find this pleasant but I can see how a non-smoker might not want that on or near their clothes. Not sure what to do about that.

The pipe bag I carry in my main bag to and from work will leave my main bag smelling faintly of pipe tobacco for a time. I can air that out and eliminate the smell in a few hours.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Last year, I went on a week long cruise and took a couple of pipes along, plus far more tobacco than I needed. I kept the smoking materials in my carry-on, away from the checked clothing, and once I was in the cabin, found a cabinet that held all of the materials separately from anything else. As long as the pipes are clean when you start, and as long as you clean them reasonably well after smoking them, the lingering smells won't be much of a problem, or at least no more of a problem than they would be at home...

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I am also an occasional smoker. I would bring the pipe and plenty of tobacco because it will give you some chill out moments. Travel can be stressful and living in a new place as well. You might find the pipe could give you much needed relaxation from time to time. Be safe and this is my favorite NZ band.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eCJg63SziL4

algenib

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Orlando, FL
I reckon buying a new MM corn cob and not smoking it until you get there is your best bet. Best part is, you can just throw it away when the trip is over (or better yet, gift it to someone if they take interest), and you're only down a five bucks. If you don't have time to order one online, hit up the local smoke shops, even if they mainly sell cigarettes, and see if they have any. Barring that, gas stations will sometimes carry them as well.
Good luck. It sure would be a treat to smoke a pipe in a place as beautiful as NZ.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I travel with my pipes a fair bit, so I know what you mean. I keep my pipes in a travel case - nothing too fancy, but the smell seems to stay in the case when it's zipped up. My tins of tobacco live in sealed plastic bags.

That just about does it.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Having traveled with pipes, the general gist of the posts here are "don't forget to take your pipe(s) with you; you never know when you might like to light up". A tip for brief stays in foreign parts is buy a little tenth bottle of your favorite spirits on the plane; I like bourbon so Jack Daniels does the trick. It is an acceptable fluid for cleaning pipes (about 43% ethyl alcohol) and smells rather pleasant. Don't forget the pipe cleaners! They are not always readily available elsewhere. The baggie is cheap and easy but don't forget to bring an additional one for the trip back. You will be there MUCH longer than my usually brief stays so getting supplies may be easier for you. Enjoy your stay!

Spencer

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Welcome Littlefoot!

Perhaps you can pick up a corn cob or two so you'll have a bit of a rotation. Also, take along as much tobacco as customs will allow, as you've already seen that the price for tobacco is sky high. And by all means, please post regularly so we'll know how you're doing in New Zealand, and you can share your experiences with us. Will be glad to hear from you.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
I pack my pipe around in a buckskin bag and haven't had much of an odor issue. Surely a ziplock bag, as suggested would eliminate the problem. I suppose you could throw in a few pieces of clove or a cinnamon stick to make it even fresher.
And, I can't help but suggest that you consider adding to the "Pipe Babes" section of the site. :wink: :lol:
Have a wonderful trip! NZ is at the top of my bucket list. I'm envious!

littlefoot

Lurker
Jun 1, 2013
Thanks for all your responses! (And sorry for my late reply..) I think I'll be able to fit my pipe and a tin or two of tobacco in my bag, but it's already quite cramped haha. I'll make it work somehow.
Thanks for the music recommendations as well!

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
My main concern is it smelling up my bag (I'm only bringing one).
I have to give you enormous kudos for taking a single bag! :clap: My wife and I went on a 2 week trip to Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England a couple years ago. I bought us each a very nice day pack that was near the limit of carry on size. I advised her to pack wisely, as that was all we were taking. Well, she had planned on 4 or 5 suitcases!
Long story short, big fight, I won (which rarely happens), and we each took a single pack. After all the walking we ended up doing, she actually nearly, almost, sort of thanked me. :D
Hope you make some wonderful memories in New Zealand. I'm sure you will.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the group,and pipe smoking. You've gotten some good advice, and I think you made the right decision. Enjoy your time down under.

Status
Not open for further replies.