PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
I will be traveling for two weeks. Will there be an issue if I use mason jars to store my tobaccos. I was going to put them in my carry on. I usually do not travel for this long of a time.

Jun 4, 2014
The bigger question is what will the TSA agent do when they preform the bag check. I'm sure someone who has traveled recently will answer. If it was me I would pack a few tins or even refill an empty tin and use that to carry my tobacco.

landofnone

Lurker
Nov 2, 2015
The only issue I see carrying mason jars (glass), is of course breakage, other than that mason jars are wonderful. In order To protect the mason jars, just wrap them in cotton or wool clothing, or If you can, find some bubble wrap.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo jfo -
Glass is heavy, a real consideration if you're traveling abroad. There are weight limits on carryons as well as checked luggage. You don't need the attribute of long ageing that Masons provide if you're talking 2 weeks. And as mentioned, glass breaks.
hp

les

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I've taken pipe and tobacco through security at DIA. No issues. Not sure about the jar situation because of their container limits on carry ons. I had a pouch when I did.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I had a TSA agent stop me and go through my bag because of seeing a mason jar of tobacco on the X-ray. He asked what it was, I told him, and then he let me go. So it might just look suspicious but it's not breaking any rules.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Professor:
Not knowing how much you smoke factors here.
Wait, you're gone for two weeks?
Just place a 2X2 square of paper towel soaked in filtered water and then bottled water from that point beyond.
I prefer my tobacco crispy and that changes everything.
Do not fly with glass.
Fnord

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
For two weeks I'd skip glass and either use ziptop bags or an empty tobacco tin. Traveling with anything that can break is just another risk that is not necessary. Ziptop bags, while not great for storing tobacco, would be OK for two weeks.

nutcracker

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2015
Maybe some mylar bags.
I purchased a bunch of vanilla while traveling, some years back, and had several bottles in my checked baggage. Upon retrieving from the luggage claim, my bag flew open and threw clothing and bottles of vanilla all over the terminal. Several of the glass bottle broke and soaked into my clothing, which was all over the terminal. After picking out glass from my underwear on the terminal floor, I decided that I would not travel with glass again. This was all thanks to a careless agent stateside leaving my bag unzipped and sending it out.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I traveled with mason jars via air last year, not even a second glance from the TSA. I did put my labels on the tins. They are really only interested in battery activated devices, etc. Empty Zippo cases also didn't elicit any interest, nor pipe nails.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I travel with resealable mylar bags which seal very well and have no particular weight of their own. Never had the TSA question them. The DID question my vintage tamper which I had to convince them was what it was...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the Mylar bags are the best answer, or maybe even regular old ziplocks. In my travel experience, I always end up smoking less than I anticipate while traveling because of time constraints and prohibitions on smoking. You can probably get by with about half to two-thirds what you would smoke at home. Alas. Unless you are going to visit a neighborhood with a smoking lounge. Jars are breakable, heavy, and limiting as to how many different blends you'd want to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.