PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flippinbird87

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2012
Hi guys,

I am going to be travelling by air to Colorado on Sunday, and was wondering how I should pack my pipes and tobacco? I want the least amount of trouble from the TSA agents. I know there is a pilot on this forum but I don't know his name. If he could comment it would be most helpful.

Thanks,

flippinbird87

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Flippin,
I travel throughout the US and 2-3 times a year to Europe with my pipes and ha not encountered any problems with the TSA. I have a 8 pipe leather bag that I put in my carry on. I usually only carry a couple of tins of tobacco. The only concession I make is to not carry a lighter, even a Bic. I don't want to give them any reason to delay me. It's too easy to pick one up when I get to my destination. FYI.... Torch lighters are not allowed but they should only be used with cigars so you should be ok there.
Just pack them securely and you should be all set. Have fun!!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Pack em anywhere you want to. No lighters but I think they loosened restrictions on matches.

flippinbird87

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2012
Thanks guys! I just wanted to make sure that I could carry them on. Can't wait to have a pipe while looking at the mountains! :puffy:

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Zippo's are also not allowed in carry-on bags. They can be packed in checked luggage if they are inside a DOT approved case. I got this info from a TSA agent when I flew a few days ago. I have never had issues with matches or Bic style disposable lighters.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I recently flew to NYC/JFK, with a toilet kit bag full of three or four pipes, several bags of bulk

tobacco, pipe cleaners, a pipe tool, and one or two small boxes of matches. No problem.

On an earlier trip, I think it was to St. Louis, I was stopped briefly when the x-ray spotter

thought my harmonica might be a pistol clip, because of the way the reed chambers line up.

I have to put a pocket knife in checked luggage or if I am going carry-on, mail it ahead. But

they seem to recognize the pipes and wave them through. I think they show up on xray as

pipes, and are not of concern.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Never have a problem. In my carry on goes a few pipes, several tins, an aluminum tamper and a pack of pipe cleaners.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I'll be flying out to NJ next month and don't want to have my pipes on me or in my carry on luggage, so I'm going to wrap them and the tobacco well in a towel buried well along with my clothes for added protection.
Russ
if you want to be sure they arrive at the other end I would keep them in my carry-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.