Traveler's Notebook

(66 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by lifesizehobbit
  • Latest reply from nevadablue
  1. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Based on a "favorite" YouTube reviewer discussion on another thread, I started looking at the Midori (now Traveler's Company) Traveler's Notebook as an option for random journaling and capturing joke notes. The version I bought was the normal size, black leather starter set and ordered a ruled insert along with a card of expansion bands. I'm only a few days into the ownership, but really like the idea.

I use a Ruled insert to capture some random thoughts and/or life observations. No real "discipline" to the effort, just as the mood strikes me. I use a Blank page insert for more free-think joke notes and sketches for the purpose of reviewing later to formalize them into proper joke structure.

The system has a lot of different insert options by both Midori and other manufacturers (very popluar among the female user population) and can be used as Day Planners, Trip Planners, poetry, song writing or any other desired creative outlet.

Here is the YouTube link that was from a pipe tobacco reviewer that got me started: Stuff And Things Review: Midori Traveler's Notebook

Warning - the inner Walden or Thoreau may surface when watching this video. YMMV

Dave "Black Frigate Stowaway"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Just watched several of his videos, would be an elegant way to keep tobacco notes

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the IDEA of them, but I know if I got one it would never get used. I've made several attempts to journal personally, tobacco notes, fountain pen ink cataloging... I always lose interest in it.

They always seemed a little expensive to me for just a square of leather with a couple holes punched in it with elastic bands. Nice, though.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Top bound spiral notebook for me. Inserts and covers are too fussy I think. Looks nice though.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. bluegrasspipe

bluegrasspipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy his reviews, I hoped I would win one of those, but nope. IMHO the leather would look nice after years of use..
    (Whatever you do, don't read the comments below this video, with a troll over commenting about the fact that he has tattoos, instead of watching the review and accepting it for what it is.. wow..)

For tho' at my simile many may joke,
    Man is but a pipe—and his life but smoke.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

with a troll over commenting about the fact that he has tattoos, instead of watching the review and accepting it for what it is.. wow..)

There's one in every crowd.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Last night were at dinner with friends and the woman told about her dad keeping a small journal his adult life.. they found out on certain days he had a TC at the bottom of the page, it meant "took a chance" and had sex with his wife.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. bluegrasspipe

bluegrasspipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the reviewer and his presentations. I watched another of his journal reviews the other day. I like that one better. All of them are too expensive, IMO. The japanese one appears to be made from bonded leather too, it doesn't look like top grain stuff.
    I have a little leather journal that I made years ago and can't find it right now. I plan to buy a chunk of leather and make one similar to the reviewed ones. I think the cover needs to be a bit larger, and have a flap that closes the thing. I really like the idea of holding them in. Experimentation must ensue...

---
    Ken
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I actually enjoyed watching that. That size is too big for me, but I'm going to get one for the moleskin cahier.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. akfilm

akfilm

Login to Send PM

I'm starting to live and die by my notebooks and sketchpads. I like this idea and haven't seen them before.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

I've read so many books, that it seems that everything has been said before and every thought comes from previously consumed material. So writing down random notes seems pointless as I still suffer from ineffective thinking. We live in a world of gross consumerism and there are more products available each year like this to fill every need we can invent.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just journaled my PAD from this morning. LOL Dang.

Hobie1dog - I get your point; sometimes one wonders from the glut of FB spew whether any of us can track orginal from heard it somewhere. I look at it as a way to put a thought on the shelf even if I may have read it somewhere.

One I wrote that my Dad told me: "Experience is what you get right after you need it."

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

I do wish I would have written down notes when sampling different blends along the way, like the one McBaren that won the prize for the worst tongue bite of the Century.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Ok after reading this post, and watching that video, I have done nothing but read reviews, watch videos, and look at pictures of those traveler notebooks. yeah I've decided that I do want a larger journal like that one, for doodling, and writing short stories.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Ok after reading this post, and watching that video, I have done nothing but read reviews, watch videos, and look at pictures of those traveler notebooks. yeah I've decided that I do want a larger journal like that one, for doodling, and writing short stories.

I love it when this happens, and I too would like to get one as classy as they look.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Now go to this site which carries them, and go down and read each one of the user pages with their pictures of how they use them

https://www.baum-kuchen.net/collections/travelers-notebook

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are oodles of hour-long YouTube videos of people showing how they set up their planners and travelers notebooks. It's a whole "community" not unlike pipe smoking in a lot of ways.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now go to this site which carries them, and go down and read each one of the user pages with their pictures of how they use them.

Also, don't forget to then debate and decide:
    Fountain Pen? Nib size?
    Mechanical Pencil? Diameter?
    Micron Archive Pen? Diameter?

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hobie, do you prefer the 'book style', where the cover just is a 'cover'? Or would you prefer the kind that the back cover is large enough to wrap over the front somewhat and tie shut, protecting the contents?

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

I have both styles, but like the kind that flaps over, preferably with magnets hidden, but I have little muscle to work with in my hands now, and writing has become a chore as it's hard to grip pens. So anything that requires hand strength is always taken into account these days.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fountain Pen? Nib size?

Always. And Medium.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

As much as I want a fountain pen, I refuse to spend money on one. Bad enough I bought two parker jotters...

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...I refuse to spend money on one.

I get that; I personally was never very good with a fountain pen. I will say though that while they may not be "collector" quality, there are a lot of starter type fountain pens in the $20-$30 range.

This vendor has a lot of choices: Goulet Pens

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Eh - buy a $4 Platinum Preppy or an $8 Jinhao X750. If you refill it even a couple of times, it will have paid for itself. They're both good pens and only sometimes need the slightest adjustment out of the box.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I second this. Start small. The Zebra fountain pens are not bad either for the price ($4).

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But.. then the floodgates open and you end up with 128 inks and 34 fountain pens in your desk.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice book but forgive me is it not a new take on a fillafax!

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise ☪️
    OLDMANSMOKING
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...you end up with 128 inks and 34 fountain pens...

We're still talking pens, right? For a moment, I was in the tobacco/pipe world.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^ They are not dissimilar in that regard.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Nice book but forgive me is it not a new take on a fillafax!

Yes, but these are much more "manly" than the Filofax models

https://www.filofaxusa.com/notebooks

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice book but forgive me is it not a new take on a fillafax

Fair question and the essential answer is yes. Since this is an elastic band bound cover, it's highly customizable to the user. For me personally, I don't even have a day planner or business card holder in my binder. I simply use a ruled and blank insert. Random thoughts and joke notes go in mine.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

The video reviewer linked in the first post is quite the pipe smoker and has done a lot of tobacco reviews, real interesting guy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

The wife said I could get a midori for my birthday this week. And leave it up to my pipe family to force me to buy a fountain pen...a lamy safari is on it's way to me now...thanks guys...lol

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And leave it up to my pipe family to force me to buy a fountain pen.

Congrats on your choices; I think you'll enjoy the quality aspect of the Traveler's Notebook. Key point, Midori manufactures now as The Traveler's Company so you leather stamp would say that versus "Midori" unless you find one that's been in stock for a while.

As pipesmokingtom called a couple of us on another thread, we're a bunch of "enabling sunzabitches."

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The video reviewer linked in the first post is quite the pipe smoker and has done a lot of tobacco reviews, real interesting guy.

Hobie1dog, that's how I found the video. There was a thread in General Pipe Smoking that talked about favorite Youtube reviewers for pipes and tobaccos. Next thing I know, I own a Traveler's Notebook.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

I'm still amazed at how many YouTube videos there are on Journals, bullet journaling, making them, organizing and decorating them. It was funny to read one of the comments that said," why don't you just go ahead and do the things you need to do, instead of wasting your time writing it down " It seems to be a critical part of some lives these days. My wife inherited some really old books of her great grandfathers and she really enjoyed reading the letters and notes that were found inside. So maybe I'll start writing down thoughts so that when I die, she can learn a lot more about me, my inner demented ways of seeing things.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So maybe I'll start writing down thoughts so that when I die, she can learn a lot more about me, my inner demented ways of seeing things.

Funny you say that, one of my first notes says this: "A journal is a nemesis to a quiet man. It knows his thoughts and secrets. It is both cathartic and risky; the journal can be a bane to the man." Translated, be careful what you put in a journal.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

I have had a 8 1/2" x 11" notepad for the last 35 years or so. So this could be part of my "downsizing " I am doing lately.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. yaboofive

Richard Gonzalez

Login to Send PM

I have used a travelers notebook for years and I love it. It goes everywhere with me as my commonplace book and have found that its ability to keep multiple books in the same cover to be quite useful. Currently I have my tobacco/ thoughts journal, fishing journal, and a graph insert for work.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. cshubhra

cshubhra

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of my notes are in MS Excel, Power Point and One Note.
    When I have handwritten notes - I use an iPAD Pro, Apple Pencil, Microsoft one note

When none of the above works - I use a Composition Book (The same ones my son uses for school)

Family, small sporty cars, food and drink (Including tobacco) and a nice book!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tastes change - but my current favorites : Ashton Artisan's Blend, Dunhill Nightcap, Dunhill London Mixture
    Posted 1 year ago #
  42. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

I must have watched 60 videos on notebooks the last 3 days. The thing I don't like about the Midori is having that knot in the middle of the back cover, got to be a huge design flaw for a team of Japanese. Others put the elastic band in the middle of the backing so that it doesn't interfere with writing on the RH pages

So far my favorite is the X47 notebook out of Germany but it's priced like a Mercedes, but built like one. So I'm still looking for my next one.

https://www.x47.com/en/notebooks/notebook-leather-book-exclusive-perfekt-made-in-germany-a5/

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Damn you guys...

That's my new Midori with my new Pilot Metropolitan. I of course had to order some lined inserts as well. I also just bought a Lamy Safari, and a Cross Aventura...along with ink, cartridges, and converters... Now if only I could manage to get some creative thought out of my head...

I love it

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Hobie1dog. Since buying the travelers notebook, I've started a journal, for the first time in my life. And I'm trying to narrate it, as if someone else is reading it. Hoping, like you said, maybe my daughter will read it after I'm dead.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Didimauw- glad to hear that you are on your way to writing things down. Right now I have 4 notebooks but hopefully I will get down to one size that has lots of insert options. I didn't realize how much I liked Journals till this thread got started.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Didimauw!! You got fountain pens! I'm so excited for you!

As much as I want a fountain pen, I refuse to spend money on one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

I only think of ink all over my hands when someone mentions fountain pens.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yup pipesmokingtom, it didn't take me long to change my mind. I ordered 3 before ever using one in person. hahaha. And now i will never go back to ballpoints. And yes hobie1dog, I feel very addicted to journals, and notebook "systems" right now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

And the addiction keeps getting stronger and stronger...

Ruined an old necklace for it, and used an old pelt from a Fox that my dad killed before I was born, to make a pen loop. And I also made my own folder insert from an old folder as well. Also made my own notebook insert of blank guitar tablature pages, to write my songs down in it. Now I just need staples.
    Someone help me...

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

It won't stop. But at least it's ALL mine now

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

The X47 notebook I referenced above has a music insert. Love the customization.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats didimauw! Nice choices and personalization.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I blame you lifesizedhobit! Now, she doesn't know it yet, but I want to get the wife one. This one is my creativity book, and my small one that I should get in the next day or so, will be my monthly planner, and checklist stuff.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I blame you lifesizedhobit!

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

I blame you lifesizedhobit!

We all thank you for starting this thread. We only have one life and might as well write some important things down in one place. Our relatives will enjoy it later. I just ordered a weighted pen with a big grip on it which will hopefully allow me to use a ink pen better. Found it on a disabled site.

The number 711 will not escape me, so post 7111 is great to see.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

More details on the pen? Curious minds want to know...

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. plainjosh

plainjosh

Login to Send PM

What a good idea. I'm a leather head as well. My Book book phone case is my latest purchase. I'm currently in the market for a leather pipe pouch.
    I'm gonna have to get a journal too....

Smoking Pipes is a cheap alternative to cigars they said...

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. phantomwolf

phantomwolf

Login to Send PM

Just ordered my 'traveler's notebook.' Filling it's pages with first chapters and sketches will give me something to do while I'm sitting around stewing over being too poor to travel.

“Life... is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
    Signifying nothing.” -Bill Shakespeare
    Posted 1 year ago #
  59. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

More details on the pen? Curious minds want to know...

http://www.caregiverproducts.com/weighted-pen-with-the-grip.html

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Another site that is great for ink pens-

http://clickypost.com/blog/2013/8/13/schmidt-easy-flow-9000-refill

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. phantomwolf

phantomwolf

Login to Send PM

Also, I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JFPRSQO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LifeSizeHobbit mentioned STuff&Things' review for the midori and I thought I'd mention he(Bradley@Stuff&Things) also reviewed this one glowingly and more recently. Thought I'd share in case someone else wanted to save a few bucks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

If you want to see one of the greatest sites on the web for ink pens of all types and prices:

https://appelboom.com/

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can see all of us now this fall, traipsing around our favorite walking place, pockets loaded with pipes, tobacco and other pipe related gears. And of course, our stylish new Safari Jackets.

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Please don't get us started down that road

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Also, I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JFPRSQO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LifeSizeHobbit mentioned STuff&Things' review for the midori and I thought I'd mention he(Bradley@Stuff&Things) also reviewed this one glowingly and more recently. Thought I'd share in case someone else wanted to save a few bucks.

That is a very good buy.

My favorite notebook takes A5 sized inserts, which are 5.5x8.5 in size. I cannot find many different inserts for this. The 4.5 inch size is definitely more popular now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. nevadablue

nevadablue

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found my little journal I made while working in Nicaragua. It holds a standard Moleskine book. Really nice leather was available down there. I have a large piece somewhere that should become a pipe case one day.

This one is pocket size and holds the pencil inside.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   anthonyrosenthal74, jvnshr, shaneireland, philobeddoe, donjgiles, danish