Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

"Travel" smoking kit (Hiking, fishing, etc)

(27 posts)
  • Started 8 months ago by ckarnes
  • Latest reply from ashdigger
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ckarnes

Login to Send PM

Do any of you guys have a little kit dedicated to use during outdoor pursuits? I watched a Gray Bailey video where he has a little kit, and I've thought of putting together something similar. He uses what appears to be a square tobacco tin (which are increasingly difficult to find). I'm wondering if anyone else has done something similar?

PS - If anyone has any square tobacco tins they don't want, I'll happily take a few. No specific requests regarding brand/blend.

Posted 8 months ago #
  2. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting idea, like a first aid kit but for pipe smokers? I don't, but I would think there would be a small pouch of tobacco, a pipe (probably a cob or a hardwood cob), a tamper, and a BIC in mine.

Posted 8 months ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Like a pipe tackle box. Nothing like that here. I'll load a couple of pipes and stick them in my pockets along with a tamper and lighter.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 8 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

ckarnes

Login to Send PM

Yes! A pipe tackle box! I like that idea...

Posted 8 months ago #
  5. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

You may actually be able to convert a small tackle box to suit your needs. I've seen a few items repurposed for pipe smoking use.

Posted 8 months ago #
  6. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

Years ago, in the early 90s,I bought an L. L. Bean fanny pack. I never wore it. A few years ago I found it packed away and decided it would make a perfect to go pipe bag. It has plenty of room for all my tools, pipe cleaners, bags of tobacco and easily 4 pipes. I love it. It has been on car trips and airline trips with me. It has a small hole in the front zipper pouch and I recently found the same fanny pack on ebay for 14 bucks.

Nate
    Posted 8 months ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

redone

Login to Send PM

I’ve been using a small Dopp kit bag. Put in a leather pouch with my tobacco, lighter, Czech tool, and a couple of pipes. Plenty of room. Could probably take two different tobaccos if I had another pouch. So, I guess I’ll be getting that next, ha, ha.

Posted 8 months ago #
  8. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They make pipe cases/bags for reasonable money that are perfectly suited for this purpose. Why reinvent the wheel? As far as tobacco tins, I would think those large Solani tins would potentially work. To the OP, buy a tin of Solani Silver, smoke it and now you have the tool you're looking for.

Posted 8 months ago #
  9. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe in one pocket, blend in the other and I'm set. I always have a knife which works on pipes, fish and whittlin'. I sometimes keep the smoking stuff in a pocket in the float tube.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

thefishguy

Login to Send PM

I use a zippered Costa Del Mar sunglasses case to hold a cob, bic, tamper, small baggie of baccy, and a few pipe cleaners.

Posted 8 months ago #
  11. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I saw that same video, or at least something similar. I believe he uses an old altoids tin sized, hinged lid box to store a small pipe that he sanded the sides down on a bit to get it to fit, then tucked in some cleaners, a tamper and a couple different baggies of flakes, since they can be a little easier to store flat. It was a nice little kit, and something totally easy to make and store in places you might want to smoke, like in a car, maybe even in your actual tackle box, something like that. A good altoids tin would probably work really well, just need to find a pipe you can fit inside and have the door close.

Alternatively, you could always find one of those small, waterproof, clear cases that might be a little larger. Something you could tuck a cob inside.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 8 months ago #
  12. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1. Pipe roll for general hiking and walking around. My favorite. And they look cool.

2. Fly fishing vest! It's perfect actually. Some guys (one in particular) wear a fly vest to the pipe shows.

3. These leather cases are always at TJ Maxx. But I agree with Hoosier that a Solani Silver tin would be cooler. These types of tins/cases are especially great with an Opera pipe because of the flat profile. That is one reason I love Opera pipes for outdoor smoking.

4. In the kayak, I use a small water proof bag for my pipes and tobacco.

Neal
    Posted 8 months ago #
  13. jjmitchem

Jim (Chap)

Login to Send PM

This is what I use for a "Field Kit"

Its a Condor Molle Pouch

- Chap
    “A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 8 months ago #
  14. lavarockpuffer

lavarockpuffer

Login to Send PM

I use a nice leather men’s shaving kit bag that always has the essentials.
    I’m often on a job site or out on the boat for hours and wouldn’t dare be without.
    3-5 pipes, two blends in pouches, tamper, pipe cleaners, backup lighter, wine corks cut in half
    In case I need to store the pipe in mid-bowl.
    Small pelican case for air travel and longer trips is solid and weather proof, for the most part.

Posted 8 months ago #
  15. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The tin, lighter, and tamper slip down out of view.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 8 months ago #
  16. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently purchased this bison leather pipe roll from Northwest Gentlemen. You can purchase the little tins from the same site. I can pack three bowls worth of tobacco in the tin. I'm loving it.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 8 months ago #
  17. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There was a thread not too long ago about glasses cases being used for this purpose as well.

Posted 8 months ago #
  18. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

When I go fishing I take a falcon, two pre-packed bowls with windcaps on them, half a dozen pipe cleaners, lighter and tamper. The whole lot fits in a pipe glove, so a nice compact arrangement.

Posted 8 months ago #
  19. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use a Maxpedition Beefy organizer. Let's me gear up for a long weekend.

Maxpedition - Amazon Link For Pics

Dave "Black Frigate Stowaway"
    Posted 8 months ago #
  20. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only thing I do differently, is that I will just take a pipe that I enjoy smoking multiple times before resting, and I will put my tobacco in a square tin so that it fits in my pocket better. Then while hunting, fishing, or out gallivanting in the woods with my dog, I will smoke the same pipe repeatedly. When I am camping, I am usually with family, so I just pack my whole pipe bag with a few day's rotation of pipes, and my tobacco rotation. I use a leather and canvas camera bag that I have outfitted for my pipe needs. It makes it easy to just grab it and go. I usually carry it with me from the house to the studio or set it in my truck next to me when running errands. It looks rugged enough not to be confused for a purse, ha ha, but at this point in my life, I could care less what people think, as long as I have my pipe.

Michael
    Posted 8 months ago #
  21. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

Interesting idea, like a first aid kit but for pipe smokers? I don't, but I would think there would be a small pouch of tobacco, a pipe (probably a cob or a hardwood cob), a tamper, and a BIC in mine.

That's exactly what I use, except it's always two cobs rather than one. If I'm out fishing, hunting, canoeing, or hiking then I almost always have my backpack with me to hold gear, tackle, etc. The smaller pouch on the backpack is divided up into several smaller spaces, and there is one that is perfect for a couple of pipes and the associated items. Otherwise, if I'm out and about, but not out in nature, then I'm probably within a short walk to my truck, so I just keep that same set of stuff in the door compartment.

Posted 8 months ago #
  22. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony. I love that roll up.

I use a cheap canvas roll up, I got off Amazon. It's for pencils/pens/artists paint brushes.

I can fit 2 pipes, lighters, cleaners, and tamper in it. Slides right into my backpack side pouch.

Posted 8 months ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

loadclear

Login to Send PM

Since my outings typically involve water...

I use those rubbermaid/ziplock brand reusable food storage boxes (the semi-disposable version of tupperware). It fits my MM Country Gentleman, lighter, tamper and a foil bag of tobacco. I reuse a Cater Hall pouch for whatever tobacco I want.

Pretty waterproof, and if I lose it all, I'm out less than $15.

Posted 8 months ago #
  24. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony. I love that roll up.
    It's the best accessory I ever purchased. Keeps my pipes and tobacco safe and looks dang cool doing it.

Posted 8 months ago #
  25. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I purchased a canvas pouch on Etsy that holds two pipes, pipe cleaners, tools and lighter. I insert a cloth with rubber lining that my grandfather used. It closes with a strip of cord. It's perfect. I found it after a similar thread like this.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 8 months ago #
  26. milehighpiper

milehighpiper

Login to Send PM

I have two “out-of-the-house kits” that I use regularly. One I got from an etsy seller who hand makes these rolls. It holds 2 pipes, pipe cleaners & tool, two lighters, and a ziploc with napkins (in case I have to clean up or prep my bowl over the napkin, and the ziploc is in case someone gives me a sample bowl of a new tobacco to try). It also has room for a pouch of tobacco or a ziploc with a couple of ounces. The second, I got from the far east on the electronic bay. It holds a lighter, pipe tool, wind cover and a couple of pipe cleaners. It has a built-in plastic lined pouch for about half an ounce of tobacco.

I use the roll for the smoking bar or long trips. The pouch I use almost daily and it fits in my cargo pocket when I go hiking or just to walk over to the nearest park.

I splurged a bit on the roll up but I hope to have it the rest of my life and the pouch was about $10 online. Shipping took forever...

Hope that helps!

Posted 8 months ago #
  27. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried to upload a pic. Imgur hates me tonight I'll do it tomorrow.

Posted 8 months ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tufftony, paulfg, buzkirk