PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
So this came in the mail today:

It will be my first time getting to try all of those, thanks to all the great information available here and on Tobacco Reviews. Bonus points: the Black Woods Flake and the Burley Flake #3 both came with just over a year of age on them already.
The pipe is my first estate, and my first "non-budget" pipe, a Radice Sand Grain bent billiard. Looking forward to lighting it up this evening. But with which tobacco?

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I find Union Square to be basically everything I'm looking for in a VA blend. Enjoy it and all the others.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
@escioe Thanks! I'm particularly looking forward to trying the Union Square. It doesn't seem to get talked about too much, but what reviews I've seen are great. I've only tried a couple of Pease's Balkan/English blends, which I liked, but found that latakia does funny things to my throat. So Virginias it is! I like the flavor of Virginias and burleys better anyway.
@troutface Yeah, the B&M's here (the whole three of them) are almost totally cigar-based. Not a great selection of cigars, either, just a couple different Cuban brands. Pipes are limited to Vauens with the 9mm filter, and a couple Chacoms, all with a very high mark-up, and then a few tobaccos in pouches. Captain Black will run you $15 for a pouch. Mac Baren is cheaper, for some reason, so in between orders from the U.S. I stick to Virginia No. 1 and Scottish Blend (which I recently found out goes nicely with the last of my tin of Solani ABF). Not ideal, but it could be worse, I guess.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Nice haul. Post how you like the both Union Square and Burley Flake #3, I've got both of those in the mail, and have been looking forward to trying them. Unfortunately I have to wait, because I went through my cellar today and realized I got a bit too many "working" blends right now. Ya ya, I know..First world problems right?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
@pipesinperu
¡Felicidades!
Wow, great to see you got some nice tins of tobacco; the bent billiard also looks great! Your stash should last you 'til the next shipment comes in.
Congrats on the fabulous score! I just hope this is only the tip of the iceberg!

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
That's Union Square and Blackwoods on the shopping list, then! Nice haul - hope you enjoy it.
Andy

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Ya ya, I know..First world problems right?

Yeah, my wallet is glad customs here has a limit on how much I can order before I get hit as a "distributor," haha. It's a reasonable limit, though, enough to keep me smoking good tobacco tax-free(ish) every day, but no cellaring until we move someplace where that's easier to do. Even a 250g bail-top jar here costs upwards of $5! 8O
@dottie, Gracias! It will definitely tide me over for a while. Any luck getting more tobacco there in Mexico?
I will try and report back on the Union Square... Trying not to let me expectations get too high, but... the tin note is quite promising. The Burley Flake isn't getting popped just yet, I'm trying to behave myself and finish the couple other burley blends I've got open first.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
You can't go wrong with any of those tobaccos.
G&H Rum flake is one of my favorites, and a fine start to the Lakelands if you have never tried them. The rest are all in my cellar, some fairly deep. Bravo.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
G&H Rum flake is one of my favorites, and a fine start to the Lakelands if you have never tried them.
That's exactly why I picked it up (along with the cob!). I guess I'll find this out for myself when I try it out this evening, but does it have any of the famous "Lakeland essence"? I don't smell anything remotely soapy in the tin note. Also, do the Rum Flake or the SG 1792 tend to ghost a pipe? Do I need to stick with the cob for these two?
For those wondering about the Union Square, my first impression was very positive, for what it's worth. A nice, wide flavor profile, deep and earthy red Virginias with sweet brights weaving in and out with each puff, and a bit of spice on the retrohale from time to time. Looking forward to spending some time with this flake!

Status
Not open for further replies.