PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
As of late, I've made quite a few trades, far more than I ever have. I'd read one of those posts that often come around relating to the "your favorite pipes" question. It occurred to me that while I really liked all of my pipes (obviously since I bought them) only a few qualified as pipes I couldn't live without. So why not replace those you could with those you can't? In the past week or so I've traded away seven pipes for three. Whether or not those three end up staying with me remains to be seen. Anyways, here is the most recent trade result, a Nate King pipe which, once handling, I was completely convinced was made of strawberry wood, but seems I was wrong. I've always loved dark objects with a splash of color. This pipe was the result of a trade for my tiny beloved early 80's JT Cooke straight grain, a "historically significant" pipe signed in full by the artist and confirmed by the man himself to be an early 80's pipe he made while working for Barry Levine, a little known fact. I'm sad to see the Cooke go, but went to a fellow forum member who I'm sure will love it as I did. Anyways, here is my newest pipe by Nate King, a fellow Nate.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From time to time, I consider culling my herd and using the credit to get a "better" pipe. It's really tough. Pipes I've owned and enjoyed for a while, that have never let me down, gain a lot of status, even though they might not be the new item I might, might prefer. I have "traded up," and sometimes it's worked out well, and other times not so much. But that is one beautiful blast with the bright yellow band; from here, it looks like you made a good trade.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I really like that Nate King. I almost traded for it myself a couple months back. The price would have be my (only) Rad Davis. In the end, I decided not to because I will probably have more opportunity to get a Nate King then a Rad Davis in the future. Especially since Rad is now retired and Nate is still young.
Either way. Congrats on a beauty.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
We're all playing our own game. Sometimes the ball gets into another court, field or pitch.

Trading the JT seems a sacrilege.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think that is an outstanding looking pipe. I love the color, the shape, the stem and the blast. I think you made the right decision for you. If you don't feel like a particular pipe is as good as your best pipes, why keep it. Who cares who made it as you are the one smoking it and if you feel you can get a better smoking pipe than the one you had, go for it I say.
I sold or traded almost my entire collection after I smoked my first Rad Davis pipe as none of the ones I had, as good as my Rad. I even traded my last beloved Former as it did not smoke as well as my Rad. I had sworn to myself I would never trade that Former, but in the end, never say never. I believe that you should try and have every pipe in your collection be a fantastic smoker that you could not see ever trading or selling. My new focus after that first Rad was to get every pipe in my collection to smoke as good as that first one. Since August of 2012, I have bought 34 more No American artisan pipes that all smoke in the same league as that first Rad. Never before in my 15 years of pipe buying has my collection ever consisted of this many pipes that I would be very sad if I sold anyone of them.
I hope your new Nate King is a killer smoker and that you are totally psyched that you ended up trading for it. Please let us know how she smokes for you when you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.