Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love cycling (and golf) but as a spectator sport... zzzzz. I have caught a few scenes of the race. I love the scenery in the race, but other than that... I find it difficult to just watch guys riding.

However, I have put new cables on my Specialized Rock Hopper, outfitted my wife with a new Specialized Roll. We will be doing some Rails to Trails again soon. RtT are mellow enough rides that I can ride and smoke my pipe, which is what you'll see me doing around town every evening.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cycling, with all it's troubles, is an incredibly demanding sport, which is part of the problem I guess. Competitors have an almost freakish intake of oxygen to their bloodstream. They're just not like other people, even top conditioned athletes in other sports. Even within the ranks, they hit the mountains and some just walk away from others. Doping, drugs and steroids notwithstanding, these people are self-selected for a kind of superhuman metabolism. With all the shenanigans, you don't know just what you're watching, but I can't deny it's interesting.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I use to race semi-pro. You're correct, even with its problems, there is no more demanding sport. I got into cycling at the beginning of Lemonds career. It was a source of bonding between my dad and myself. He rode also. In high school I was riding around 600miles/week. I miss it profoundly and live vicariously through its stars. It's the only sport I watch so I always look forward to July :)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
If I was even able to sit on a bike now, I'd be happy if I could ride 10miles :( ah how youth is wasted on the young.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I used to average 300 miles a week and thought it was a mystery achievement.

All of the miles were a crit speed and either after work, and/or on weekends with the Princeton Freewheelers (in NJ).

The glory days...

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Bicycle rider will understand:
To date myself, back in the day fellow bike riders compared me to Claudio Chiappucci because I would attack often for what they thought was no reason. My reason was I did not have the VO2 of many, and grinding along at 21 mph would burn me out after 30 miles or so. So I would attack often on any small hill (think NJ), forcing the group to sprint, and catch up to me, and that would mellow out the herd for the rest of the 50 mile ride.
Ride smarter, not harder, and use mind games.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Zekest, ditto!!! I had great difficulty sustaining a 25mph sped over miles. Much better to do shorts sprints and wear down the rest that way. I'm with you there! And I remember Claudio well!!! I came along at the birth of carbon fiber. I dreamt of, but couldn't afford the Kestrel 4000 frame, but now I have one hanging on my wall because of the artistry involved...

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
I'm into cycling, though not competitively. TDF is a little dry for me on the flat stages. Sagan entertains me, with irreverence and a connection to my Slovak heritage. I'm waiting to see Quintano climb.
Contador crashed pretty hard yesterday. Maybe he needs another serving of that Clenbuterol steak served up in 2010.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I used to follow religiously and have done quite a bit of racing myself. However, I just can't stand it anymore. It's not "Man and his Machine" anymore but rather "who has the most money for wind-tunnel training / tech-development". Add in the constant doping and drug scandals and consider me done with it.
Back when it was wine and cigarettes instead of EPO:
toursmokersart-1.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
One-time ultra-marathoner checking in. Late 80's, early 90's. State crossings, 12 and 24 hour loops for distance, etc. Matt Bond (a 6-time RAAM finisher) was a friend, as well as John McKinley and a handful of other go-fast-'n'-never-stop head cases. :lol:
Centuries were my claim to fame (such as I had), with a personal best of 4:18:08 for a 100 mile time trial (no drafting).
I also once rode in the same event as Lance Armstrong when he was a junior. Thought he was a thoroughly obnoxious little psycho prick. (Took a while, but it turned out my impression was spot on. :lol: )
My interest in le Tour? Same as cobguy. Too much hi-dollar tech, sneaky BS, and PED-war nonsense these days. Categorically not interested.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I love the TDF - one of my favourite things is sitting in an armchair with it on in the background and reading a big (weekend) newspaper. I used to ride around London when I was younger, clipped onto the bike and overtaking cars on London Bridge at 35+ mph. 50% thrill, 50% terror! London drivers hate bikes, especially black cabs, but since the 2012 Olympics here there are thousands of cyclists on the roads so they have had to get used to them. Long may it continue.
Andy

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Wow, bizarre timing. I bought an '88 Cannonade Crit bike with a full set of dura ace components ('cept brakes) just yesterday. The down tube shifters will take some time to get used to, as will the tubular tires...totally tubular. Had it up to 39 mph for a brief stretch.
Awesome bike and easily the stiffest frame I've ever ridden but not at all harsh.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I will be closely watching on the 14th as the stage ends up Mt. Ventoux and goes through Bedoin where I just was this past week on vacation. We cycled around but only my wife's uncle who is training for the Kona Iron Man actually cycled up Ventoux. The rest of us drove up in a car one day and WOW that will be fun to watch!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It's a VERY unpopular position to take, but despite everything, I'm a huge fan of Lance. I grew up with him. He used his fame for great things. Yes, I'm VERY aware of the lies, more so than most, but he was my childhood. He was what bonded me with my father as we watched all his racing together. I'll always admire the man, lies be damned.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It's a VERY unpopular position to take, but despite everything, I'm a huge fan of Lance. I grew up with him. He used his fame for great things. Yes, I'm VERY aware of the lies, more so than most, but he was my childhood. He was what bonded me with my father as we watched all his racing together. I'll always admire the man, lies be damned.
So, you give him a pass for deliberately and ruthlessly destroying the personal lives of those who told the truth about his cheating? He didn't just lie about drugs in an abstract way, he ATTACKED people. He sued them into bankruptcy, had them blackballed regarding employment, and had a "campaign team" of rumor spreaders who did everything possible to destroy their character. A hundred million dollars and a marquee name buys a lot of lawyers and sycophants.
He has ADMITTED doing it. I'm accusing the man of nothing, it's all a matter of record.
Please explain how it is possible to not despise such a self-serving sociopathic asshole shitbag, never mind admire him.

Status
Not open for further replies.