PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
hello all. recently i just got my new Savinelli Oscar Lucite bent dublin, really enjoying the shape while keeping it as my pipe for periques. however ive noticed over the years that after i smoke a pipe I get a bad feeling in my mouth that does not happen with cigars. Let me break down how I smoke first.
fill a full bowl, as im lighting for the first time, i expose the tobacco briefly to the flame as i suck air through the pipe. i repeat this, gradually getting the tobacco lit. i do this so i dont get tounge bite, which can sometimes happen by accident while trying to get it lit. Then as i smoke, i puff pretty continuously as i clench. taking a minute break evey so often. i sip it kind of slow, perhaps not slow enough, and do not experience any tounge bite during this. i smoke it down to the bottom where it starts to taste pretty ashy.
so, what ive been experiencing is that the day after I smoke, i have an ashy taste in my mouth. my mouth feels old, and the taste is of stale smoke. i do brush every night and morning and use mouth wash. Also, my tounge feels like it was zapped. the top of it feels kind of tender, and numbish feeling. basically like its been burnt, and over stimulated by the smoke.
I really dont know if this is just a pipe smoking 'thing' i need to put up with or not, but i dont like it at all. this doesnt feel healthy for my mouth. im paranoid that i might loose my ability to taste if every single day im doing this to my touge and mouth. does anyone experience this? is his common wih smoking a full bowl? is there a different meathod, or oral product i can take to help?
thanks!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's a learning process, kind of like going to the gym at first, even though you aren't sore right away the next day you can't walk. Give it a few days rest, try again, eventually you'll get the hang of it. Ignore the people that will suggest "smoke some carter hall" Just don't smoke anything until your mouth feels normal again. Then try again. Eventually you'll build up a tolerance (kind of like playing the guitar where you're fingers hurt) plus you'll get the hang of slow puffing. I went through the same thing, if you continue to smoke it's just going to get worse without letting your mouth return to normal.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Also, while brushing your teeth, brush top of your tongue as well. Worked for me. You will be removing all those smoke particles from your tongue. Please try and let me know.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Andy has it. What you are experiencing is not the tongue bite per se but the inflammation that accompanies an irritation, like smoking too fast (hint, hint). If you want to test this hypothesis, try taking anti-inflammatory doses of a NSAD (non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drug) like Advil for 24 hours prior to smoking and see if the response is better. Admittedly, there is a pain relief effect to Advil but what you are describing is more inflammation. I would also agree with jfnshr on mouth hygiene: brushing your tongue is not a bad idea and using Biotene, as regularly recommended by members of this forum, can make a world of difference...

There are lots of factors that you will adjust as you move forward into the pipe hobby.

Drying your tobacco stops the steam on your tongue.

How you pack the pipe, too loose, too tight, both cause problems.

Smoking slower, puffing does nothing but waste smoke and look silly, while smoking slower gives you more flavor and more nicotine absorption. It's all about the taste. When you think you are smoking slow, slow down more. There is a reason they have slow smoking contests and not fast smoking contest.

Use biotene. It regulates the acidity of your mouth.

Try different tobaccos.

Try different pipes.

Explore,explore, explore, and have fun doing it.

There are no rules, just suggestions, take what you need and let the rest just slide away.
Welcome to the forums!

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
good advice here. I think it was the combination of a new pipe without much cake on it, and new tobacco which is most likely to wet, and my enthusiastic puffing. Ill start focusing on slow sips, I also had the GENIUS idea of having something cold to drink with it. And ill also be getting that biotene stuff. Thank you.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
The pipe being new has nothing to do with it. I made the same mistake when I first started and paid dearly. Wet tobacco will make you suffer. Let it dry, and let it dry well. Also, I don't know if you come from cigarettes, I did, but the pipe is a different animal. You have to learn to take it easy. It will take some time. Enjoy !

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
There is a reason they have slow smoking contests and not fast smoking contest.
Oh really?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxPgdpIupz8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBJ6rmM2TMU

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
Great advice given above, and I will add some additional food for thought.
Gum disease affects around 75% of Americans, especially those over the age of 35. Even non smokers are faced with a challenging fight. If you suffer from gum disease, your mouth will be much easier to irritate when pipe smoking.
One of the biggest culprits, are the high levels of bacteria that exist in the mouth. A warm salt water solution can do wonders to prevent higher bacteria levels, since salt kills bacteria.
It is especially important to brush and floss right before sleeping, since sugar is also a major culprit in the fight against gum disease.
Also, you can do a google search and research "oil pulling." It is a simple technique using a variety of oils to combat gum disease.
Not only can reversal of gum disease improve your pipe smoking experience, it can also improve your overall health. The long term effects of gum disease leads to increased inflammation in the body, and cardiovascular problems. Cardiovascular problems can eventually lead to erectile dysfunction, heart attack, and stroke.
Thank goodness we have pipe smoking as a hobby, to relieve our stress levels associated with all the health problems we are forced to consider as we age.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I find the only tongue bite I get is if I haven't smoked for a while. If for some reason I take a week or two off of smoking, I usually get tongue bite for the first week or so when returning to my pipe. I find that I smoke fast, thats just the way I like it and it is my personal preference. After a few bowls my tongue and mouth just get used to it and the tongue bite goes away. I find that aromatics cause me some tongue bite as well, possibly due to the casings and the fact that some Aro's burn pretty hot. Just keep smoking and your mouth will adjust over time, slow it down a bit and find your "go-to" blends that are easy on your pallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.