Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:   

Touch Type Or Hunt and Peck?

(54 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm interested to know the rough percentage of Forums members who touch type versus those who hunt and peck, just out of curiosity. When I was in high school, I spent a semester going to my first class at the typing lab to learn to touch type, to be able to do research papers and later some kind of writing and editing that was my career direction. It was a little bit boring, but once I got into it, I enjoyed the muscle memory skill of it and actually had some fun trying to type really fast. My younger sister later taught herself to touch type out of a printed training manual. Now I'm sure that there are a number of courses available online, on DVD's, and so forth. Though there is probably some uncertainty now, with keyboards on small devices that require hunt-an-peck typing anyway, whether it's worth the effort to learn by touch. Boy, it sure eases the stress and cramp of hunching over pecking one key, by sight, at a time. But many, probably most, will not do otherwise.

So which is it? Touch type or hunt and peck? And why? And are you happy with your choice.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Touch type. Required to take typing in HS. Now it is much easier with a full computer keyboard. I type between 75 to 100 wpm once I am warmed up. But grad school did that to me. Before I was not much faster than 30-40 wpm. Just much easier than the hunt and peck method.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I failed my first typing class in high school. Had to take it a second time to graduate. I still think it's weird that people have to look at the keyboard, with single finger uses. Now I'm the fastest typer I know. But these days I'm only ever on the forum on my phone, so I use Swype.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

None of the above. Voice recognition here.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. grouchydog

grouchydog

Login to Send PM

Touch-type - I look at the key I want and then I touch it. LOL - that's what I've said for years about my work colleagues.

Me? Touch-type (for real). But then, I'm in IT and I'm at a keyboard all day. Learned on the job, never took typing in HS.

Switching keyboards is a nightmare for me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with grouchy dog. Switching keyboards can cause a major workflow CF.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a bit weird..I type with one finger so I watch the key board. I've done it this way for 20 years,so my fingers pretty much know where the next letter is.If i miss a mistake spell check catches it.My main problem is spelling,so I have a Dictionary next to my PC.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, I took typing in high school and then again in a college orientation class, and it was the only class that I was lucky as hell to pass. Know I use some combination of the two. I hate iphone and ipad keyboards. Apple has some sort of screw-it-up programming that scrambles whatever I try to type in.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Touch. Speed Reading and Typing were the two classes in high school which have served me best over the years. Could do a 100wpm at one time. Well, if I didn't worry much about spelling. If I switch to Irish I really slow down as it's not QWERTY setup and a required "fada" is a two key operation.

puffy: I've found the the fastest way to check a spelling I'm unsure of is to simply type it into the search window on my browser. The computer usually finishes the word before I get more than three or four letters typed. I do still keep a Webster's New World 33,000 Word Book handy though.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Touch type. They had typing class when I was in HS and that's where I first learned it. I write a lot for work, and of there was school and grad school, so I type fairly quickly. Funny thing, though, is I still automatically put two spaces after a period. Mostly. Lots of back and forth as to whether one should do that now.

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Screw the newbies telling us not to use two spaces. It looks stupid not to have the extra space. They can shove their new rules up their...

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started typing as a little kid with one finger. Got real good at it. By the time I was high school age I figured what the heck! Why bother changing now! I'm not a clerk and computers didn't exist back then, but I get by still with that one finger (actually a finger and a half) and average about 25 words a minute, plus I can hit some keys without looking. Not bad.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Touch typing, learned in HS years, though not at a HS- my family and a couple others joined together to hire a teacher for it. Very grateful.

Also like macros on my mac, such as:

Edmund Blackadder and Baldrick converse:

EB: "First Name?"
    B: "I'm not sure."
    EB: "Come on, you MUST have a first name."
    B: "It might be 'Sod Off'."
    EB: "Sod Off??"
    B: "Yeah, when I was a young lad playing in the gutter, I used to say to all the other snipes, "Hello, my name's Baldrick". And they'd say, "Yes we know, Sod Off, Baldrick"

- Blackadder and Baldrick filling out an application form.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I touch type if I'm at a keyboard, but I hunt and peck on my iPad.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. tinbird

tinbird

Login to Send PM

Touch type here, pecking I get from the wife all the time!

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. darthcider

darthcider

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two fat monkey fingers stabbing at the keyboard is my style.

Education is important, but motorbikes is importanter.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic:

I watched a short video on USA Today and it showed how to turn off Apple autocorrect. Go to Settings, General, Keyboarded then turn off Autocorrect

It works well after that. I use the 1 or 2 finger typing method. I have coordination problems and also some of my fingers do not bend so I never took typing class in school. I would have only been laughed at.

Doug

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a kid with horrible handwriting, learning to touch type was my salvation. I eventually built up my speed to 120 wpm.

Eric
    Posted 2 years ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Flmason. I will do that.

Wow, my second post sounds much more angry than I meant for it to. Ha ha. Maybe too mich coffee.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Will always use 2 spaces. It is in my DNA. And damn if it doesn't improve readability! My phone keyboard is all SwiftKey and swiping. It is trained. But autocorrect, not so much. I think the biggest problem is I switch languages too often and that jacks the system all to hell.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two spaces here also. I resent any and all change to language and composition. I realize both are something which constantly morph but, certain stuff just shouldn't be morphing all the time. I need something constant in my life.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Larger print! I am becoming more of a fan of larger print as I age also.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I can type very well. I learned in middle school, at a US Army school. For some reason, they had a 7th grade typing class. I picked it up very quickly and spent a lot of time practicing (yeah, I must have been a nerd). Hunting and pecking, drives me nuts.

My practice got me in some deep shit with my father when we were still stationed in Germany (Landsthul). We lived in an apartment building on post. The dumpsters were at the opposite end of our four-stairwell building. In the winter, me and some other kids in our stairwell always complained about taking the trash all the way to the end of the building. We found a crawlspace with a door access and started putting all of the trash in there. Of course in the Spring, it didn't smell too well and the parents investigated. When they started pulling trash bags out, the first thing my father saw was my typing papers. He got a deuce and a half to remove all the trash and after that was clear, we had stair-well cleaning duty for six months.

When I got into High School typing class, I tested out at 90-couple wmp, so the first year class was only an excuse to goof off and cause trouble in the class. I'd get my hour long assignment done in 15 minutes, then torment our bad excuse for a teacher. I should have paid closer attention, to formatting, etc.

My first cell phone was a Blackberry and I could type pretty quickly on that tactile keyboard. When we finally ditched them and went to Androids, I wanted to scream. I learned to Syrve type pretty quickly, which keeps me from flinging the phone across the room.

Al

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hunt and Peck...sounds like a law firm!

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hunt and peck, with a total of 4 fingers and one thumb.

Its a hybrid method.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah. I thought that this thread was about the elusive barrister & forum member, Peck
    Disappointed.

I'm surprised that only one respondent, Captian Black Mustache, dick-tate's, but that's fitting for the master of the Black Frigate

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 2 years ago #
  27. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I touch type. I took a class in middle school, maybe first year of high school (can't remember which) and then never touched a keyboard again until I think my early thirties. It was just like riding a bike.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  28. bonanzadriver

bonanzadriver

Login to Send PM

I learned how to type because of absolute dubious reasons. It was the end of my Sophomore year, my girlfriend and I were picking out elective classes for the next year when she suggested I take typing with her.

I was sold. Any excuse to have a class with that little blonde was good enough for me.

The next year when class started, I took to typing like a duck to water. Subsequently I had the highest scores in the class.

It's been an invaluable tool and has paid dividends in spades over the years.

Funny enough, while in the Navy I actually got to where I was typing somewhere around 100 wpm. Sometimes it was a blessing, other times it got me pulled into the LT's office typing his reports. I guess it coulda been worse, I could have been an excellent potato peeler.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. darwin

darwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Touch. Learned on a manual typewriter.

Viewing with alarm since 1948.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  30. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never took a typing class, but, like Darwin, I used a manual typewriter to learn the method I use now. Not real touch; it's sort of a combo.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 2 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can sort of touch type in three or four different layouts.
    My primary keyboard layout is a custom variant of Dvorak with some letters and symbols switched around for modern grammar styles (or at least my own personal style, I used some free heat mapping software to analyze my forum posts and identify which keys should be given priority). That'll do about 80 Words Per Minute on average, nothing special, but I find it's less fatiguing than Dvorak, and much less compared to Qwerty (Having "E" "S" "T" and "R" on the same hand is complete nonsense, and putting "L" on your pinky is a sin that both Qwerty and Dvorak share).
    Second, I can get by in regular Dvorak, but probably half speed.
    After that my typing shifts depending on what device I'm using, on my 8" tablet I can almost type with Qwerty one handed, and I just got a new 9.7" tablet and the keyboard is bigger so I'm almost shifting back ot regular two hand, it's a bit of a muddled mess right now with the home row shifting constantly, but my fingers are adapting surprisingly quick.

I know people who type 120 Words Per Minute one handed on a full size keyboard so my typing is still pretty tame compared to some of the examples you can find out there.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use about two fingers on each hand and the thumbs, and I have to look at what I am doing. I never learned to type at school, I vaguely remember being in the class though.

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  33. misterrogers

misterrogers

Login to Send PM

I still use mostly my index fingers, but in general I'm touch-type. Like most children of my generation we grew up on the computer, but never had a proper typing class. It still leaves me not the fastest typer, but it's fast enough for me and my needs. Plus, even at 25, I'm a little late to change my ways and re-learn it.

That said, I will NEVER be able to learn another keyboard. I've been trying for a while to learn the Finnish keyboard (as I'm trying to learn the language) but it ends up I just switch back to the English keyboard after I've used the needed letters (ö,ä and sometimes å).

Now, I've noticed a tendency for this forum to get rather silly.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  34. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

touch type. Leaned on old manual typewriters in high school and halfway through the semester tested out at 45 words per minute. Didn't do much typing for the next 2 years because we didn't need a typewriter in the engine room but started typing again when I became a photojournalist. Speed jumped up to 60 words a minute or better when we switched to electric typewriters. My supervisors didn't care much for typing test or how fast because the reality is that it's just not that important unless you are on a critical deadline.

In the 80s we switched to computers and if tested now I would probably be up near 100 words per minute. The only time I feel I get slower is when I have to change keyboards because I found each keyboard has a different feel and sound to it. (Hey! I still missed the nostalgic sound of a mechanical typewriter.}

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  35. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I touch type if I'm at a keyboard, but I hunt and peck on my iPad. - philobeddoe

Same here.

Pipestud
    Posted 2 years ago #
  36. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's all about spacing. What looks better?

Screw the newbies telling us not to use two spaces. It looks stupid not to have the extra space. They can shove their new rules up their...

Well, I don't know how to put two spaces in as it gets changed to one as I post. So the second one has three spaces as I type, we'll see how many on posting..

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On the internet, I type with one finger exclusively...

And as a heterosexual not metrosexual, I do not use any Apple products.

But, this voice activated thing sounds good, at least until we get a brain-computer interface, at which point Windows will accidentally over-write your childhood memories with a video about AIDS in Africa as affected by climate change.

On a phone, everyone is hunt and peck. The thing's too small to touch type.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  38. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And as a heterosexual not metrosexual, I do not use any Apple products.

Interesting! When you are in the metrosexual mode, you do?

BTW, Apple products do not appeal to Neanderthals, not that there's anything wrong with that! Or that I am calling anyone that. Only those that bash Apple out of the blue.....

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It seems to me that those who must bash something, Peterson, Lakeland, aros, Fords, Apple, etc. are simply unsure of their own choices. So they try to reassure themselves, justify themselves in their own mind, by ever being derogatory about choices of others. Rather than extol the positives about their choice they take the easier route.

Apropos of the OP, I touch typed this post.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, damn! That means I shouldn't bash other choices in computing platforms....

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You used a smiley so that's allowed. It's the guys that are simply mean spirited, usually not particularly articulate, that get my panties in a bunch. Now someone who offers up a cogent argument for their position? I enjoy that kind of conversation. Something meaty! I like that, it shows thought.

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I miss manual typewriters, the percussion was such a healthy outlet although not always welcome in student rented rooms. Clack-clack, clack-clack-clack. Ka-ching (the carriage return). Great fun. I don't however miss carbon paper or white-out. I learned touch typing on an office manual, but owned portable manuals. I do not miss IBM Selectrics.

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On a side note, I feel like physical typewriters are going to become more valuable again in the near future.
    Now that you can be almost guaranteed that anything you type in any computer anywhere is being read by someone without your consent, it's pretty much impossible for people in sensitive fields to write out their thoughts digitally.

I'm reminded of how some popular authors use older equipment to ensure data security: https://www.cnet.com/news/george-r-r-martin-writes-with-a-dos-word-processor/

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just unhook everything from the InterWebs. Use encryption.

I don't do anything interesting enough to be spied upon, and I seldom close my emails praising the name of the almighty in Arabic, so I only secure my own server.

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Unhook Everything?"
    Like, rip apart your laptop and fry the wireless card with a laser?

Latest reports are Intel is going to be integrating Wi-fi chips into upcoming processors, there's no way the NSA
    isn't involved in the design of these features, once you have that it's physically impossible to secure your data.

Once a backdoor is installed it can be exploited by anyone with the knowledge and resources to find and crack it, which may not happen immediately, but it's an inevitability that devices in the near future will be impossible to secure (ok, you could use them inside a well constructed faraday cage to prevent wireless communication, that's probably something I should look into if I ever build a house).

And of course thinking that you're not doing anything worth anyone's attention is no security since you absolutely are doing lots of things on a daily basis that are objectionable to many people, it's all a question of who is looking.

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It seems to me that those who must bash something, Peterson, Lakeland, aros, Fords, Apple, etc. are simply unsure of their own choices.

Well, Lakeland just sux, but aside from that I've used them all and they all have their merits/demerits...Nikon/Canon, Windows/Mac, Ford/VW...no wait...Ford sux too.

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh...and did someone say Peck?

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What is this "keyboard" of which you speak?

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  49. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had to touch type a minimum of 25 wpm in order to graduate from tech school in the USAF back in 1977 using WWII era typewriters. I've since been able to up my speed quite a bit since then, though at my age, with probably a few more errors.

My wife is a retired journalist. I used to watch in amazement as she did phone interviews typing as fast as her source could talk.

The pipe is an instrument of civilization.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  50. yohanan

yohanan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoke What You Like, And Like What You Smoke...Regardless Of What Anyone Else Thinks...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  51. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Touch type. Learned in the 7th grade on manual typewriters that were always jamming.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 2 years ago #
  52. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does anyone still actually HAVE a typewriter? I do. Actually it is a Smith Corona word processor bought in '88 that in one mode acts like a typewriter in real time and in WP mode, has a flip up LCD display that you type your letter, then hit print and it prints it out with a bi-directional daisy wheel. Also saves documents to a mini-disc you can insert in the side.

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

When we cleaned out my parents house six years ago, the old portable typerwriter that I used as a kid was in the basement (I can't remember the brand name). I mulled over keeping it, decided that I had no real use for it (I suspected that the ribbon was dry anyway). I ended up tossing it, but it was difficult to do.

Posted 2 years ago #
  54. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd estimate the touch typing to hunt-and-peck cohorts are about 80 to 20 percent. You could figure it by assigning everyone to one method or the other, whichever predominates, or try to figure out a guesstimate for how much of each was being described in each person's typing, but with this informal a survey, that's spinning wheels. My sense is that younger members may touch type less because they use smaller devices more and have less incentive to learn touch typing, but I'm guessing here. I think it's well worth learning touch typing for anyone handling more than tweets or short texting. For anything longer, you need a "full-size" keyboard. If anyone wants to bear down on this quantitatively, I'd be interested in seeing that post.

Trivia tidbit; the actor Tom Hanks collects manual typewriters according to someone who sells them in Manhattan.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tobefrank