PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I feel like a total ass asking but;

1. Has anyone ever used Mother's Carnuba Wax in the red can to wax their bowls it?

2. I have sheets beexwax I bought about 8-10yr ago, could I use that with a soft cloth?
I feel like a total noob, just wow lol.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
thanks roth. I wasn't sure and no one really mentioned anything about it. I feel better asking and knowing the answer now. You deserve a bowl!

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
in reguards to polishing stems and bowls. I hear it is not good to remove the stems all the time. What about for filter pipes and having to change the filter every bowl or every other bowl? I remove mine after they have cooled and take the filter out and pass a pipe cleaner to dry them a bit more. I let them sit overnight then put them back together in the morning

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I wouldn't recommend using carnuba from a can. I experimented with it once and the results were less than pleasing.
The reasoning is this: the form of carnuba we're talking about is a moist wax. It's meant to go on and be wiped off materials that are less porous than wood. Some may use it to good effect, but I have not. It does however make for a good stem polisher if you're short on other materials. Vulcanite is similar in consistency and porosity to the clear coat on your vehicle. In fact, the UV protectants in some of the better car waxes serve as a hell of a ward against oxidation.
The hard carnuba that many of use is typically applied using a buffer. The wheel heats the wax slightly and applies it to the bowl, forming a glossy shell. It's not really polishing as much as it is "coating." At least that's my interpretation of it. In my experience, the level and duration of a shine really depends on how well the stummel surface is sanded. A pipe sanded to 11,000 grit is going to shine better than one done to 800.
As for the beeswax, I recall a few people on the forum using it to shine their pipes. I know it is mostly used in the curing phase of meerschaum carving. Hopefully, one of those folks will catch the thread and let us know.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
To keep my pipes looking new and clean I use a few drops of olive oil and let the pipe sit for a few hours or overnight. Then I take a soft cloth to remove the excess. Works like a charm.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Please don't use any wax conatining Petroleum Distillates. It will affect the flavor of your pipe. Just do a search for pure Carnauba Bar Wax. It is out there from many sources. Then, a wheel to apply and another wheel to buff.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

click on pic:

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The biggest problem with buffing on a Carnauba wax is that we almost always put on too much. It take a really conscious effort to apply what appears to be almost nothing, which is always the best when using a wax. If it feels "sticky" there is too much wax on the surface.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I take the stem off for cleaning the pipe after every smoke. I make sure the pipe has cooled completely. I turn the stem gently clockwise. Then clean, replace the stem, rack, rest the pipe.
I do the same but I leave the stem off until morning so it can dry out. I then replace with a dry filter and replace the stem. I don't like leaving pipe cleaners down the pipe due to the fuzz coming off inside the rock maple filter and it restricts air flow. I know from having done this in the past.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I've used a combination of most products which have been mentioned above. If a pipe already has a nice high gloss finish from varnish, etc I will go ahead and give it a polish with carnauba. I have a solid 2 pound cake of carnauba wax. If a pipe has a matte or satin finish I will sometimes use olive oil or beeswax instead. Under most conditions I'll polish stems with carnauba. Tripoli wax which comes in a bar form is another option. I use either a Dremel tool with buffing pads or a Diamond brand polishing pad which is on my bench grinder.
It's been a busy month so far with refinishing 32 estate pipes.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
When waxing your briar pipes, there really are no good alternatives to a buffing wheel and Carnauba wax. I'd say an acceptable thing to do, kind of as a short term solution until you can get access to a buffer, would be to use the Paragon and Halcyon II waxes, but you gotta be aware that they won't even get close to the "real wax" in shine and protection. Messing around with bee's wax, olive oil and such home made concoctions just messes up your precious pipe (bee's wax is icky sticky and attracts dirt, and wont last a week, oil can go rancid, and depending on ingredients react with the briar, discolor the stain, ...).

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Preference, preference, preference. The pipe comes apart for a reason, for cleaning. It's not like a swatch. Although there are convertible pipes that can be standard length and church warden stems. Just like a motor gunk will collect between the mortis and tennen and will need cleaning from time to time. Should it be cleaned after every smoke...your call friend. Some like to clean after every smoke, every 10 smokes, never. It all comes down to what you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.