PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
The tin note is absolutely gorgeous-sort of raisins and figs with a hint of vanilla. The moist content, on the other hand, seems to be about right, but I had my tin open for a while to have a breather before I decided to finally load my bowl and light up. I find the room note very pleasing, but it feels kind of soapy at times. The flakes have a leathery consistency, comprise brown and gold leaf, look sugary and sticky, and will crumble easily. Packing is easy too even if you opt for breaking the flakes instead of rubbing it all out. I can detect some casing, but it is not overpowering. This is a very slow burning tobacco. I did not know it had any perique in it and, for most of the time, it is the virginia I detect in my smoke, which is sweet and mellow. Also, it builds up in strength and flavour the more you smoke, but I'd say it is rather medium throughout. I am missing the nutty dimension in my palate so characteristic in most virginia tobaccos despite the fact I can detect it in the room note, but this is a good smoke anyway. By the end of it, it gets zesty or citrusy, which is something that would indicate the presence of perique, but I am still wondering whether there is any in it at all. All in all, I have thoroughly enjoyed this mixture, so I will give it three stars.
tor_zpsrgzxmpha.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jorge, I'll admit, this doesn't send me off to order the blend, but it sounds intriguing. Three stars out of how many? Four or five? Is it sold as an aromatic? I really like the tin, the formality and type faces. Thank you for an engaging review. When I encounter it at online retail, I'll read more about it out of curiosity.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Here in the USA this blend, at $10+ for 50 grams, was never cheap -- although I thought it is worth that money.

However, it recently experienced an increase of about 30%, making it over priced, IMO.

To me it's a high quality Virginia smoke where the Perique is not noticeable, but doubtlessly contributes to the experience.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I really wanted to like this blend and I smoked 3/4's of a tin in numerous different shaped and sized pipes hoping I would hit the right combo, but alas, it just wasn't meant to be. I was really hoping to find another VA flake to add to my rotation, but this stuff was just too boring. I didn't like the fact that it came dry to the point that if I did not smoke it quickly, I would have had to add moisture to it. I tried looking for the apricot flavors that a buddy said he tasted, and I also tried tasting the perique that is allegedly in this stuff, but it was no where to be found.
jorgesoler, I am glad to hear that you enjoy it somewhat, will you be stocking up on it?

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Great Virginia! I’ve been smoking a tin from 2011 and it’s excellent!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
My Secret Santa sent me a very well aged tin of this. I haven't tried it yet, but now I have to open it!

Status
Not open for further replies.