PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyfats

Lurker
Jul 26, 2011
oxford Florida
I am relatively New to pipe smoking,So my question is this,what do you Think is the top 5 tobaccos to have on a

"noobs" list and why? Thanks everyone :)

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Lane 1Q (yes, it is growing on me), Seven Seas Royal (or any of the Seven Seas blends)
Those are 2 I will think of more good "starter" tobaccos.

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
Thats a hard question to answer because individuals tastes vary so widely. For me it would be anything with latakia in because i love the smokey smell. My brother on the other hand gags when he smells it lol. Some info on tobaccos you like would make it easier to give you some suggestions.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
It's like the old gents underwear. Depends. What are you looking for in a smoke. Sweet, smokey, lots of nuance, or just a plain old fashioned Grandpa type smoke?

joeyfats

Lurker
Jul 26, 2011
oxford Florida
Ill tell you I have always been one for sweet tastes and smells,Im all about it smelling "good" I got a bag of this Montego bay stuff,dont really taste the rum in it to much,sure makes the house smell nice though :),Im one of those people that when I smoke it has to be an "experience" in other words I want smell and taste what it says is in there.With that said im not partial to any certain flavor like fruit or anything.I used to get topps wildfire tobacco years ago,they had a peach that was to me Amazing.Thanks to the Pact act I find now I can no longer get it,this is what brought me to this forum honestly.Im one of those weekend smokers and I figured I could just go online like I always had in the past and order what I liked in "free America"boy was I mistaken...I find that there are so many choices in pipe tobacco its funny I never tried it sooner.So with all that said maybe you all can better guide me with a top 5? :puffpipe:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Presbyterian Blend -- for the tradition.
Borkhum Riff -- to learn what drugstore blend is like.
You local B&M's "black & gold" mix (here is is called Old Glory) to taste a nice middle of the road aromatic.
Frog Morton on the Town -- Because it is a delicious English blend and great intro to latakia.
Orlik Golden Slice -- to try a flake style tobacco.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
any 5 i aint smoked yet is my short answer. it's a journey, not a destination and every once in a while you'll make a wrong turn, but that's the fun of it.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Could someone tell me if Orlik is an English? I am seeing more people smoke this and I am curious as to where it would fit along the tobacco spectrum?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Aromatics wise my suggestions would be:
1. Connoisseur's Choice by Peterson- It's heaven in a tin. The best flavor casing of rum, tropical fruit, and vanilla I've ever tried. It burns immaculately and doesn't bite.
2. Vanilla Cream by Mac Baren- It's the go to smoke to please the Mrs. that tastes great. Vanilla taste is present from light up to last puff.
3. 7 Seas Royal Blend by Mac Baren- Great mixture of rum, vanilla, and caramel. A very smooth great smoke any time of the day.
4. Best of Show by McClelland- Wonderful nougat/caramel flavoring that smokes very well and not too hot.
5. Luxury Blend by Peterson- Love the citrus flavor of the orange paired with the vanilla and honey. Makes for an excellent anytime summer day or night smoke.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
aint smoked enfuff to make a top five list but i can tell you i like burley more than virgina amd i like english more than areos so i would say ya need to try a couple of each type because there are some virginas i like and also some areos aswell.
I like Half and half OTC

dunhills early morning pipe

Lanes 1-q

Bowlegged bear

and my daily smoke has been Epiphany by C&D

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
1. Cornell & Diehl - Nutty Irishman - To me it tastes like a Snickers. Do you like Snickers?

2. Cornell & Diehl - Bailey's Front Porch - Do you like Bailey's?

3. Peterson - Old Dublin - More of a masculine smoke w/ some nicotine. A smoky, slightly sweet taste and not so overly flavored and aromatic.

4. Gawith & Hoggarth - Sweet Maple Twist - Slightly sweet, leathery, coffee, slight pepper, with a higher amount of nicotine. My personal favorite of all the tobaccos I've tried so far. If you like cigars, you may love this.

5. Rattray's - Hal O' The Wynd - If there was one tobacco that had a slightly sweet, slightly smoky, slightly spicy, slight nicotine - to me it would be this. I think this tobacco is pretty good smoke without being too much of any one quality.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Off the top of my head:

Penzance or American Patriot

1776 Freedom

Short Cut to Mushrooms

1776 Old Dominion or Gatlin Chimney Smoke

Seattle Plum Pudding

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
flipflopandsand, the Orlik Golden Slices is a burley/Virginia blend in flake form. To many of us it is a great blend. The Virginia has a sweetness that imparts a very nice room note. To me it is what a great pipe tobacco should be. Not an English at all but very nice and worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.