PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I was young we used to live to go to concerts, I grew up going to them in the 70's 80's and 90's. What are the top 5 shows you attended. Here are mine.
1974 Tales of Topographic Oceans tour( Yes) Boston Garden

1993 Pulse Tour ( Pink Floyd) Sullivan Stadium Foxboro Mass

1976 Thin White Duke Tour ( David Bowie ) Boston Garden

1976 Clapton and Santana Springfield civic center

1976 Lynyrd Skynyrd and Jeff beck and the Jan Hammer group. Lynyrd was the back up band( before the crash) Cape Cod Colosseum Hyannis Mass

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
I've seen all of the following bands multiple times and each time they put on an awesome show.

1. Rush

2. Dream Theater

3. Tool

4. Metallica

5. Gypsy Kings

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
OMG Cigrmaster... Tales of Topographic Oceans!!!! I saw Big Generator tour and all i got from TTO was Nous Somme Du Sole... That's an impressive top 5. Here is mine!!! a little different. I'm Listing top ten in no order.

1)Pink Floyd-Momentary Lapse Of Reason(9th row. touched pig!!!)

2)Grateful Dead/Steve Miller

3)Grateful Dead/Traffic

4)Monster Magnet/White Zombie

5)Lollapalooze 1

6)Jamboree In the Hills '91

7)Roger Waters-Radio Kaos

8)Red Hot Chili Peppers/Smashing Pumpkins/Pearl Jam (Pearl Jam "10" had only been out a week)

9)Metallica-And Justice For All

10)Jimi Hendrix-Rainbow Bridge(On video. lol)
Hell, I've been to over 200 shows. Those are just the ones that jumped out...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bdstansel, I have seen BOC many times and they always put on a great show. One year they backed up Aerosmith, I think it was 1975. First show I ever saw Aerosmith was the back up band for Mott the Hoople.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
The best show I ever went to was a little show in a Knoxville club called the Pilot Light. It was jam packed, you couldn't even sit down. I got to see Bon Iver for 5 bucks.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
In no particular order:
George Thorogood & the Destroyers - 1986, Star Theater (1st row!) Youngstown, OH

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - 1986, OU Memorial Auditorium (3rd row!) Athens, OH

Queen (Billy Squier opening) - 1982, Richfield Coliseum, Cleveland, OH

Bo Diddley - 1992, Honolulu House of Blues

Antone's 14th Anniversary Show - 1989, Austin, TX (Pinetop Perkins, Jimmy Vaughan, Mel Brown & the Allnighters, Otis Rush and too many others to remember)

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings,
1. Rush - Time Machine tour (2010)

2. Rush - Test for Echo tour (1996)

3. Rush - Hold Your Fire tour (1987)

4. Rush - Power Windows tour (1985)

5. Rush - Tour of the Hemispheres (1978)
Yep, I'm a diehard Rush fan. I've been a fan since 1977. Their newest album "Clockwork Angels" is phenomonal. Their best work in 20 years.
38 years and 20 studio albums. #3 all-time gold and platinum record sales, just behind The Beatles and Rolling Stones.
And they're still writing new music and going on tour! Not too many older bands doing that anymore. Actually, I can't think of any. Most (Stones, Crue, Aerosmith, The Who, ZZ Top) just perform their "greatest hits" in concert. Good stuff for sure, just nothing new.
With the volume of music Rush has produced over nearly four decades, I rarely listen to anything else.
CACooper

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
+1 cacooper. Of all the times I've seen Rush, I would have to say that their Test For Echo tour was the best for me. Not only was it a great show, but I got to meet with Geddy and Alex backstage!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Crap! I forgot about Rush!
1984 - Grace Under Pressure Tour, University of Dayton Arena

2010 - Time Machine Tour, Red Rocks Amphitheater, Denver, CO

adam12

May 16, 2011
Cigrmaster opened this thread with class. The ORIGINAL Boston Garden was incredible... no air conditioning... crazy sight lines for ball games... crazy crowds... and the feeling you were trapped in a sweat box of cigars and hellions.
Anyway, here goes:
1983 - Grateful Dead at the Merriweather Post Pavilion in DC. It rained, and it rained, and it rained.

1982 - Black Flag at the Ukranian Hall LA. It was one of Henry Rollins' first shows with them

1986 - Neil Young and Crazy Horse on the "Life" tour, George Mason University. This was pretty damn good

1985 - REM on the Fables of the Reconstruction tour at the Greek Theater

1991 - Allman Brothers Band in Houston, TX with Meat Loaf. I hate to say it but Meat Loaf sucked. The ABB made up for it. Even though it was in the 90's

madhatter

Lurker
Aug 5, 2012
Pulse was awesome, U2 Zoo TV stands out. I recorded live shows for 10 years and averaged 50 shows a year for a long time. Next show is always the best and that is fifth row for Phish next week. It depends on what you like as I am all over the board when it comes to music. Peter Frampton, Tom Petty, Steve Miller, Allman Brothers and Rod Stewart are all great mainstream artist that put on great live shows.

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
Sonic Youth City Gardens 88

Iron Maiden Spectrum 83

Unsane Khyber Pass 91

Helmet Rave Records Warehouse 92

Cows Khyber Pass 91

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
Hard to remember the years but here's the shows.
Metallica

Queensryche

Elton John

Megadeth

Down

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
1975-Maynard Fergusun-Chameleon LP Tour

1980-Doc Severinsen w/ Columbus Pops

1986-Chick Corea Electric band

2009-Pat Metheny Group-Imaginary Day Tour

2011-Chris Botti

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
Choking Victim at Oakland Metro

Warped Tour at Shoreline Amphitheatre

Bridge School Benefit at Shoreline Amphitheatre

The Casualties at The Pound SF

Uberkunst at 924 Gilman

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Some great shows guys, pretty cool.
Speaking of the Boston Garden I have been in that building literally hundreds of times between Celtics, Bruin and concerts. The worst night ever( but a great show) was July 1975 when Traffic played. It was so freaking hot people were literally passing out all over. I left soaking wet like I had just come out of the shower.
One great night was Bruce Springsteen when he came out with the River, forget what year. He played well over 3 hours and it was incredible.
bigvan, I saw Stevie Ray at the Newport Jazz Festival in 1986, got to hang out in his trailer after the show. That was an experience.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Shawn, Yes has always been my favorite, saw them 6 times the last being in 1976 I think. Saw Wakeman every time except once when Patrick Moraz played. That was the Relayer tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.