PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
I pulled up "sold" pipes on Ebay and sorted them by the ones that went for the most money. Over 60,000 pipes were sold, these are the top 3:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIXTEN-IVARSSON-AN-IVARSSON-PRODUCT-bamboo-acorn-/111347670156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ecd69c8c
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NANNA-IVARSSON-1707-AN-IVARSSON-PRODUCT-PIPE-/301143735457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461d90bca1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JESS-CHONOWITSCH-PIPE-ESTATE-/111355531901?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ed4e927d

The first one sold through Buy it now. The other 2 through auction with 35 & 60 bids respectively.
I can only conclude that pipe smoking/collecting is alive & well and people with disposable incomes value Pipes as much as say Rolex watches or Single Malt Scotches.
What's your "takeaway"?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Crazy stuff, but not shocking. eBay has helped move tons and tons of stuff for all types of money. I sold a bunch of my old Star Wars and Star Trek toys for over $400 ... And have been an avid eBayer since.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Three Ivarsson pipes recently sold, two by Lars and one by Nanna as I recall, for $22,000. This happened within the first hour of their being offered. Not on ebay, but elsewhere.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Yah, way out of my comfort zone, but I was expecting higher prices.

Dec 24, 2012
Not me, I have only spent over a grand on a pipe maybe a half dozen times and I have never spent 2 grand on a single pipe. That said, if I was going to spend that type of money, these are the pipemakers I would likely spend it on.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I were one of these guys who sold my dot-com stock before the bubble burst, sitting around wondering where

to direct my many-many millions, twenty-two grand would be spit in a puddle. If that were my situation, I'd go to the owner

of the pipe and have a good sit-down, and discuss things over bourbon or tea if he/she were not a drinker, and

reach an amicable place of exchange. Or I'd do it through their "person," their lawyer or broker. I sure wouldn't do

it on ebay, but then, I'm the ebay grinch. If I were going to acquire such a historical cultural object, I'd want to do it

in a fully civilized way, not grabbing it out from under some other old geezer or young hot shot.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I have to agree with Mr. Glukner on gauging prices on ebay. Also listings on ebay that are listed as sold might not have been paid for and then relisted, or possibly seller might not be happy with the end price. Whatever the reason, the pipes can be re-listed and the transaction can actually be made at a different price.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
What's your "takeaway"?

IMO the Sixten and especially the Jess seem a little low. Late April and May are bad times to sell high end pipes the money is going to Chicago. Bet they went to China. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.