PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I read the article about things smokers have to put up with. Now I want to construct a "Top 10 benefits" that might not be immediately associated with pipe smoking. And prioritize them.
What can you come up with?
I thought of two right away, just because this was on my mind the other day.
One, In tune with nature. I like alone-time in the great outdoors. And boy, I sure get it, too. In fact I'm usually *ordered* to take it out of the house. Usually I sit out on a chopping stump next to my wood pile. Only other time I would enjoy that little space there is ... well, I wouldn't. I'd chop wood a couple times a year, but other than that, it would be a totally unused part of my property. I've enjoyed the sounds of soft crackling tobacco, barely audible, while snowflakes floated down and shattered on my smoking jacket at night. I've become friends with squirrels and birds who recognize right away that a man with a pipe on a stump by the woodpile is no threat. He is at peace.
Two, fewer speeding tickets. Smoking down the highway has a much more laid-back meaning. It's just so-ooo hard to exceed the speed limit when I'm heading home in my old truck. I take a back road. And I just toddle along home, pacing the drive to coincide with last puffs. There's got to be a database somewhere showing pipe smokers get fewer tickets and have lower insurance rates.
Add to the list below.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Three, a test of your spouse's beneficence. Surely, you aren't relegated to the back porch, the yard tire swing of your aging pickup truck?!? Does she make you brush your teeth, mouthwash, clean your facial hair and even shower with lye soap before coming back into the house? Thanks to your blissful pipe smoking you now know where you stand with your loved one.

Spencer

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
12pups, I'm so onboard with the driving thing. Just this morning I was tooling down the highway at 60 smoking a bowl. Typically I'd be doing a buck thousand, weaving and dodging.

Jan 8, 2013
Right there with you guys on the driving and smoking. If i have more than a 10 min drive, im lighting a pipe before i hope in the car. Even if its a half bowl. Smoking and driving is great, no stress, no getting angry with traffic, just comfortable and relaxed. But seriously, heres my contribution to the list:
4. That lingering scent of pipe smoke in my clothes. I love it. I will be sitting at work and have the smell on my clothes, the left over taste in my mouth, and whatever Im working on kinda blends with happy thoughts of my last great smoke. Makes all of lifes tasks more pleasant.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
FIVE You can sit and stare into space in deep thought because you have an excuse. "I'm smoking my pipe!"

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Fading light, I agree with you there. In fact I catch a whiff on my close from my morning drive to work and I have to say, it makes me feel real manly lol. To me it is almost like a cologne. Wich is an interesting topic in itself. I purchased a cologne the other day called Yaght silver or something like that. It was supposed to smell like leather and tobacco. It sort of does! :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Puts me in touch with elemental things -- air, fire, root wood, leaf, smoke. You don't get much

more basic than that.
You study something by senses of touch, taste, and smell, which can be used too little.
It's an apparently inconsequential pastime with a lot of emotional reverberations.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Number 8: Makes you a better hunter. Was out after yotes today and every time I lit my pipe a yote would pop out.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Cool- blueeydogre.
I'm a coyote hunter, also. Got a garage full of pelts.
Normally, I don't smoke at all when hunting coyotes, and I'll chew between sets, as I only use hand calls. I've seen too many yotes bust me by my scent. But, I'll give it a try. Interesting...any particular blend?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
#9 - Teaches and encourages PATIENCE! It's not something you grab and light up like a cigarette, or even a cigar and start smoking. You have to decide which pipe you're going to use, which tobacco you want, and then pack it correctly and get it lit just so. Then you relax with your pipe and enjoy it, and attend to it occasionally. Not everybody wants to take the time to do this. Some say they don't have time to mess with this ritual, but as my dad used to say, "you can make time for the things that are important to you". Although he wasn't talking about pipe smoking, and I"m sure he was trying to teach me a lesson in something else, the idea stuck with me. Well, I learned, and this is important to me now.

Thanks dad, even if you were a non-smoker.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
1Q with a bit of cubed burley for added N content. Flushed out 4 just driving the back roads around town. That and settled a fight between a muskrat and a big crow. After my mediation both were quietly staring at the sky beside each other with matching .222rem piercings.

Jan 8, 2013
@Agnosticpipe- agreed sir. I am learning all about slowing down and taking my time these days. I find being a pipe smoker has helped me deal with everything in a more calm, methodical manner. I must say, I like the changes...

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
+1 agnosticpipe. I am a much more patient man now than I was before the pipe! I probably still have a long way to go before I'm in complete control of my emotions though!
I also greatly enjoy the lingering aroma the pipe leaves on me, especially the mustache note!

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Yeah, I'm going to add association with people like you(no offence). I'm out with the pup and kitty shooters and log splitters. Not much time for socializing. What else brings a bunch of odballs(no offence) to the same table.

Status
Not open for further replies.