Took a Risk on a Vague Ebay Listing......It's a Barling...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes
9 Fresh Radice Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

...and I won THIS.
Not a bad price, eh?
Wasn't sure what it was, but the reference to London and 'I' piqued my interest.
Well, it arrived today. And, it is a big, in fact, huge, beautiful, near perfect pipe with silver stamps for London, 1906. So far, so good. But, it gets better. On the band are the initials EB over WB - Edward Barling and William Barling.
To say I'm excited is an understatement.........I'm literally shaking.........
So, to those who know about these things: do I have a genuine Barling here?
The only marks on the shank are 'Shillington' over 'Leicester'.
I'll get more pictures up later.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Somebody up there must love you.
Yes, it's a Barling. Shillington and Leicester would refer to the Tobacconist who ordered and sold the pipe. At this time, many of Barling's pipes did not have their name stamped on the shank. That didn't become a consistent practice until several years later. According to Jon Guss, quoting Montague Barling, 1906 is the first year that Barling gave up importation of bowls from France to augment their stock, and decided to make all of their own bowls in their factories. All of Barling's output was hand made, most of it made to order. They didn't keep a big stock on hand.
Congratulations! That is a terrific score!
What is the condition like? Didn't see any photos of the rim or bit.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Klause,I think you found yourself a very special pipe. From the pipedia article, edited by Jesse Silver (sablebrush52),
"Many Barling pipes made prior to 1909 lack any company markings except for the name of the shop that sold them. The only stamp that tells us that the pipe is a Barling is the sterling makers mark “EB” over “WB”. It is common to find only a small "BARLING’S MAKE" stamped in block capital letters, with an arched BARLING’S over MAKE. Many of the older pipes feature sterling silver fitments, which make dating a simple mater of looking up London hallmarks, and the "EB WB" makers’ mark. At some point during the final decade of the 19th century a “BARLING’S MAKE” logo began to be occasionally stamped on the pipes in addition to the Dealer stamp."
I'm sure he will have some additional insights. I've never heard the shop name before, some of which can be seen here, so that makes it also a very interesting find. Coming from Leicester. The size of the pipe is also of note.
http://yeoldebriars.com/grade_barling.html
Dave

K

klause

Jason-Pipes-_0000_image1.jpg

Jason-Pipes-_0001_image3.jpg

Jason-Pipes-_0002_image2.jpg

Gentlemen, thanks for the great comments. I am one unbelievably lucky fella - I'm just beaming here. Immediately I opened the parcel, and before I realised it was a Barling, I fell for this pipe, and knew it was a cracker. Knowing its a bit special just makes it better :)
Sablebrush, Dave, thank you for the great info - again, gents, you educate me and leave me in awe of your knowledge.
The bowl has a nice cake (soon to be removed), is slightly out of round, but zero rim darkening. The stem us gorgeous, with the fabulous Orific bit - there are some tooth marks, but, being honest, that really does not bother me - all part of the pipes story. The pipe is in over all super condition - just needs a good clean. Thats tomorrow's activities sorted out!!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Surely one of the best scores of the year! Congratulations! Over a hundred years old and almost pristine. Hand made and lightly smoked. I would probably just 'show' that one. Unless...after one smoke it told me otherwise.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I love old pipes, and Barling or not, that is a real beauty! Of course the fact that it is a Barling makes it extra special. Congrats!
Just showed it to my wife, and she said that's her kind of pipe! Wants to know if you'd like to double your money on it.... :mrgreen:

K

klause

Newbroom, Brad, Sam - thank you - appreciate it, Gents.
Orley, I'm sorely tempted :). Your lady has great taste, and, because of that, IF I ever decide to move it on, you get first dibs - however, I wouldn't be holding my breath if I were you - I think this is defo a keeper - I'm looking forward to an hour or two in the greenhouse with it..
Al, wish I could claim a special talent here - it was pure, blind luck......but, I'll settle for if :)

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
I have been finding allot of great steals on e-bay and have won 4 pipes for under $10 total so far

Status
Not open for further replies.