PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snuffnpuff

Lurker
Jul 8, 2013
Hello everyone, I am a long-time snuff taker but a brand new pipe smoker and have recently fallen hard for the hobby. Anyways, recently I went to my local B&M to pick up my first briar (I have been enjoying different cobs up until this point). They had many different pipes for sale but the girl working looked about 16 and clearly didn't know jack about tobacco or pipes. I've been reading up quite a bit hoping to make a good purchase and asked what brands they had, she told me they were all Kaywoodies. I spent a good hour looking at pipes and sure enough they were all made by Kaywoodie. Eventually I found one that caught my eye, a nice sandblasted bulldog, as I was checking it out I noticed it was made by Dunhill (it says 3117 Dunhill Shell on the bottom), every other pipe there was a kaywoodie. I loved the pipe and as I was talking to her about it she says that the store recently purchased most of another stores stock that had gone out of business and they were all 40$ (The shop I was at sold *ahem* non-tobacco merchandise primarily). I bought it of course. I checked it out online and though every variation of Dunhill 3117 ive found has been going for like 300-600 dollars. Now I'm afraid to smoke the thing and wreck it with my newbie skills. Any advice? I have only smoked cobs until this point.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Welcome snuff.

Smoke that pipe! You won't wreck it.

And post a picture of it too when you have a chance.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Awesome snag. I say smoke it. Think of it this way: even if you do destroy it which is unlikely, you're only out $40 really.

snuffnpuff

Lurker
Jul 8, 2013
Thanks guys! These replies have got me pumped! Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to light up some Carter Hall in it? I've been diggin that blend hard in my cobs but all this talk of matching pipes to blends and dedicating pipes, pipe ghosts (whatever that is), etc makes me feel like id be committing some minor heresy.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Wow...a Dunhill for $40 bucks. Congrats!!! Smoke what ever you like in that sucker. If you love Carter Hall smoke it. I am a newbie pipe smoker too and one thing I have learned, Smoke what you like. Some guys really love VA's, some love their Latakia blends, some love aromatics, and some love their good ole codger burleys. Me I like a variety. Don't feel bad if your favorite baccy isn't talked much on here, we all like different things!

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Congrats and welcome snuff! CH sounds like a great blend to start you Dunhill journey with.

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Nice buy, snuffnpuff! I suggest doing some homework , which you can do by reading all the topics on these forums here. Not only do you learn just about everything you need to know about pipe smoking, but you get to meet a lot of really cool guys! Enjoy that pipe!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Snuff
Welcome to the forum and congrats on that dunhill
Man, what a great deal!
Choose whatever tobacco you like to break it in-there is no right or wrong in that choice
You may want to read up on breaking in a new pipe-there are lots of posts on the forum offering suggestions on how best to handle that
Good luck
Allan

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Wow, you got a steal! While I do understand the idea of a collector not smoking a pipe (after all stamp collectors don't go licking their stamps and dropping them off in the mail box, even though thats what they're designed for) but I'm not a collector so I say smoke it!

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
What a deal! It's kind of hard to ruin a Dunhill. Just keep it away from torch type lighters. Happy puffing.

Aug 1, 2012
Quite the steal you got. I completely understand being scared of smoking a pipe that's "too good for me" and I finally smoked mine. You'll have to review the pipe for us when it's fully broken in. Oh yeah...don't forget to post pics.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Thinking like an accountant, it IS a $40 dollar pipe, so why worry about it.
If you are poor like me, why not remove all worries and sell it for a few hundred dollars and purchase 5 new pipes you need not worry about?
You have options.

Aug 1, 2012
If you're really worried, I'll trade you an entire 7 day rotation of English brand names and seconds for it. [/kidding]

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
We all know you'll do what all of us do with valuable and nice pipes- baby it. You'll have no problems, pipes are actually fairly hard to damage, or at least harder than it may appear, especially such a well-made briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.