PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
I have a question for you all: are you like me and scroll past the Forum categories and Sticky posts multiple times a day to see the Latest Discussions? Are you like me that you have a bookmark for the Forums page, seeking to cut a few clicks and seconds out of your day, only to scroll 2-3 pages to the content you want? And I say 2-3 because 2 pages shows me the top of the list, but 3 pages goes past it. I cannot even use the Page Down button! The horror! I know, I know, this seems like a small, tiny, infinitesimal, annoyance. I am sure I am not using the site correctly and thereby invalidating my rant, but every time I scroll down I wonder a) am I wearing out my wheel; and b) why aren't the Latest Discussions on top with the categories and sticky posts at the bottom.
[Please take this post with as much sarcasm as you can put in to it. Really, I am not this picky and OCD in real life.]

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I shouldn't post on this thread since I am a tech dyslexic, but that's my disclaimer. I do use the "Back to Top" and the "latest reply" to get to the bottom of a thread, and these help somewhat so I am not always waiting for the scrolling to occur. I'm sure the adept zip around the site much faster than I do.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
To say that this forum platform is archaic, is being nice. So hard to navigate. You cannot tell when someone has replied to a post, notifications, insert social media, share with social media, etc. Good news is this is a healthy forum inspite of the website.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
So hard to navigate.

giphy.gif

I agree

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
The original poster joined this forum about 6 months before I did in 2010. The forum is still fairly similar to the way it was from then. It still functions reasonably well.
Since I am involved in publicity for the Chicago Pipe Show, I am active on three pipe forums and recently found two more forums. Each has a different flavor, based off the users/mods. None of forums actually annoy me from a system perspective.
I have no experience in the system side or moderating side of running a forum, so I can't comment on that. FYI, I finally gave up on my truck a few years ago when it has 235K miles on it. Too many expensive repairs to warrant fixing it.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Maybe this could be simple fix by just putting the actual listing of posts at the top and the individual sections below them. Not that scrolling down is a huge hassle.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The PipesMagazine forum long ago moved from "archaic" to "Charming Vintage". I like the fact that it doesn't look like Facebook, that our posts aren't scanned for keywords, that we aren't targeted for advertising and that Kevin doesn't sell our data.
Of course, all of that is available on the PipesMagazine Facebook page, if that's what you are missing here.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
None particularly here either. I use both computer & phone. Reverse pinch & finger scrolls make it easy on the phone, & the computer's not *that* hard. Granted I'm newish here, so y'all know more about legacy here. Me, geezer & just happy. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chase, you do all that typing on a phone? And I need a full-size keyboard and a desktop PC. On a phone would drive me crazy, but you do ably, which is the way of the world. I touch type, hate to hunt and peck regardless of the scale of the keys.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Archaic? I spend about two weekends a month shooting black powder, cap-and-ball revolvers. Who am I to bitch about archaic?

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Alde', you're just doing that to be mean to me. I know you remember about my arthritis. ;) Ah, if only.....
One thing about pipes & black powder -- both required practice & cadence to avoid having to look through impenetrable haze in front of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.