Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I have been knocking myself for having too many blends in progress and not finishing tins before I open new ones.
I think that I have 7 open tins in progress and 9 or 10 blends that I have been picking at - of which I bought an ounce or two in bulk. This does not count various samples sent to me by forum members.
They are all stored in jars, but my frugal side keeps telling me to finish a few before I open new tins but I find this difficult.
Does everyone have this problem? Maybe my situation is not that bad in comparison.

I'd rather only have about six tins open at a time. But, on some days I wish I only had 10 blends open. But, I also have about ten to twelve bowls a day. I have felt overwhelmed when I have had about twenty open, which was just way too much. Sometimes I get too many open, when I pop a few in a row that just don't appeal to me. I sometimes jar them up to return to latter, or since tobacco is so cheap, and if I am fairly certain that I will never return to it, I just toss it in the trash. Heck most pizzas cost more than a tin, and I have tossed some pizzas in the trash with more enthusiasm.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Every blend I have is open and up to bat. Once I smoke my way thru the 20 pounds I have, I'm only going to smoke 2 blends from then on. I've found my "Happy Place".

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I suffer from open tin syndrome too! I have at least 12 jars in my active rotation, and dozens more on the shelf -- from which I sample on an occasional basis. And then, there's my cellar too. I need to go into counseling. :crazy:

jaydublin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2015
Every tin I open I immediately jar. I have so far acquired 20+ different tobaccos in the past 3 months and I enjoy being able to pick from the entire lot every time I smoke. It's a big part of the fun for me. When I start fumbling through all the jars in my "cellar" (just a couple of canvas-covered file-boxes from Target) to pick something for my next smoke, I end up stumbling upon one I'd sort of forgotten about. By jarring them all I don't have to worry about them drying out. I supposed some of them will eventually become aged this way, too, without my having to purposely put them away for that purpose. I just ordered 4 more from SmokingPipes (Cumberland, Westminster, Black House and Haunted Bookshop). Time to pick up some more jars. :)

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Ha! And here I'm trying hard to get down to the 200 for my Top200 Cellar (which seems to be more like 300 right now). I there are hundreds of candidates and demotees laying around waiting for disposition. Ah well - 1st World Problems, or is that Champagne Problems?
hp

les

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I have about 8-9 tins open, and I try to get them jarred before they get too dry. But I also pick from about a dozen jars I keep in my desk. I don't worry about opening jars that are cellared either. All of my 200+ jars will be opened whenever I want.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I probably have 20 or so opened tins, jars, and pouches but am working on reducing the numbers. I do like variety, so I try to keep my on deck shelves diverse. I like to have open a couple of English, a couple of VaPers, definitely some burley blends, especially Virginia/Burleys, a can or two of cigar leaf blends, a Lakeland or two, a couple of aromatics, and some Balkans, etc.
What wouldn't make sense to me is having ten or twenty open English/Balkan tins. I feel the same way about craft beers. I don't want a bunch of different IPAs. Give me some lagers, pilsners, stouts, etc.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I experience the same, but am trying to limit future openings. I am an avid participant in the tobacco crawls, and should jar up those tobaccos I won't be smoking soon.
Is your avatar James Dean, yourself, or some other? (please)

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
At times I have felt like I have too many open jars but I really am in an exploratory stage. I considered limits of 10 or 20 open but then decided to just have less open than shaintique ( see here). I would love to sit next to that shelf for a week smelling and tasting!

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I currently have 27 mason jars with tobacco in them. Of those, 17 are unique blends. I also have a bunch of unopened tins that are different blends I've yet to try. I don't think there is anything wrong with having many blends open as long as you store the tobacco properly so it doesn't dry out. I do sometimes think I went a little overboard with opening new tins. I only smoke about a bowl a day, do I really need 17 different blends to choose from? But it's fun going to my little "cellar" and trying something I haven't had in a while or something that fits my mood.
I've cut myself off from opening new tins at this point though. I haven't opened a new tin in about a year now, except for sampling some bulks I bought recently as I was jarring it, I'm pretty happy with what I've got open and looking forward to letting what is still tinned age.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I suffer from open tin syndrome too! I have at least 12 jars in my active rotation, and dozens more on the shelf -- from which I sample on an occasional basis. And then, there's my cellar too. I need to go into counseling. :crazy:
Pretty much this for me as well... well mainly when my cellar is more full than what its become, but yeah I can't seem to NOT open a tin and sample it :P

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
56 blends available at the moment. Too many unopened tins in my stockpile I've yet to try, and I keep telling myself to get the opened stock below 20 before cracking another one. I can't smoke fast enough. I'm only about 2 bowls a day at most, 3 to 4 on the weekends.
With that said, I'm ok with my first world problem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With six or eight jars available and three or four tins open, and two jars of samples in bags, I am slow to open a new tin, despite 30 or so in waiting. I have enough variety to keep me interested, and opening new tins without finishing old ones seems wasteful. The allure of the benefits of aging blends also seems to recommend restraint.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have to smoke a blend for awhile to really get an impression of it, so I often use up my sample tins before I manage to open another. In the future, I hope to jar more and let them age after airing, as this seems to improve some blends (and sometimes dissipate the worst of the Lakeland aroma, for example).

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I easily have 20 tins open at this point. I don't see it as a problem but as an opportunity. I like to switch off and rarely smoke the same blend twice in a row.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
I'm so bad at this. I finished a tin of Durbar recently and it was the first tin I had completely finished in forever. I probably have a dozen tins open. I like to try new stuff for a few bowls and then I sample the rest out to customers, and yet I still have some unfinished tins.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I'm in the same boat right now. Used to be I'd try not to have more than five or six open tins on the go at once. Right now I probably have between twenty five or thirty tin/jars open. Most of the blends have been jarred but some are still in the tins. I'm trying to focus on finishing up some of these partial tins before opening any others but it's not easy sometimes. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.