PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The good things about having "too many pipes" are that you have a variety of shapes and sizes for various uses and blends; that you always rest all your pipes for a good long time; that you are surprised even by pipes that you have owned for a long time when they come around in rotation; and after some years you have some "estate" pipes that you bought new. The down side is that if you buy a few too many, some get sidelined and don't get smoked as often as they should (or at all); you realize in shopping for pipes that you already have several to fill each need (in those striking moments of honesty); and you realize how much you enjoy smoking all those old standbys versus the new ones that will take a year or two to get really-really good. For me, the plethora of pipes makes me uncertain about attending the good local pipe show, since I never come home without another pipe (or two, or several, etc.). I confess, I haven't counted my pipes in several years, as if I don't want to know. How are you with the proliferation of pipes, or how have you maintained a limited number, or enjoyed a vast uncountable number, or whatever your situation is?

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
This should get a wide variety of responses. 8)
I agree that a good sized collection provides a variety of shapes/sizes for different blends. In addition to that, I'm very much into the look / feel / aesthetics of a pipe as well...so my collection represents not only my smoking preferences, but also a lot of examples which to me are quite pleasing to the eye and hand. As to quantity...I've not counted in a while either, but I "think" I'm around 300 pipes in my own collection...and then likely another 250 - 300 dirty estates...99% of which I'll gradually refurbish and sell. As I continue to add a pipe here and there to the stable, I do try to comb through to see which I can cull...and I've actually sent some away which I didn't need anymore...just to keep the quantity near what it currently is. So with 300-ish...some of them rarely 'come around' for a smoke, and I do have quite a number of unsmoked pipes...those I've bought new as well as NOS. That makes me a smoker as well as a collector. Ozark Southpaw (Ed James) always referred to the pipes he didn't smoke as 'dust collectors'. I've got likely 50 or more of those.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have more than enough pipes, so my buying phase is all but completely done. I might buy a pipe this year, but I used to buy monthly, sometimes weekly. Still by hoarding standards, the amount of everything I own, pipes and tobacco both, is pretty modest.
I go to shows more for the social aspect, although there's always the possibility that I'll spot the next great thing. Last year I went to the WCPS with the intention of buying nothing, but unexpectedly came away with a nice collection of vintage tobaccos that were on my wish list. And thanks to the exploding mania around vintage tobaccos, that stash is now worth about 8 times what I paid for it.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I have seven Savinelli pipes, six acquired this year, which is WAY plenty for me. I quit altogether about 2 years ago, and now smoke about one bowl a week. I only smoke a few blends too, so most of the pipes are blend dedicated. Savinelli 316 "Night" is for Nightcap. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I went to the pipe show one year looking for a panel pipe and came home with two, or was it three? Always like the goody bag too, and got the last free Missouri Meerschaum cap ( a really nice one) which I regularly wear. joeman, you give me a whole new perspective, like I'd better get busy with my pipe shopping!

I don't have as many as some, but definitely more than most, in the 100 range. My first pipe show, I was a little disappointed that it was almost all about the pipes and not the tobaccos. I can walk around and look at blasts, grains, yeh... nice classic shape, ho hum... oh look another billiard... Sure, sure, I love pipes. And, sometimes an odd shape tickles my excitement factor. But, for the most part, hanging out at The Briary, examining every new pipe that comes in, buying estates, flipping through ebay like a robo-zombie and such... I have had to curb myself back though. I now only buy one high-end or one custom pipe a year. I never sell pipes, and I have rotations enough. So, If I am going to bring a new pipe home, it had better be a nice one.
Tobaccos are different. Long after the FDA has run each tobacco company into bankruptcy and regulated tobaccos into back alley deals, and pushed us into the deep dark web. "Psssttt, hey buddy, want to buy some perique? Shhhh..." Long after that, you'll still be able to buy the pipes in junk shops and such. So, I will get excited about a new blend, long before I'll get excited by a new blast or some killer grain.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Yeah, the extent of joeman's collection is not something I need to know. PAD is a disease that can never be completely cured. Flare ups occur without warning.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Tobaccos are different. Long after the FDA has run each tobacco company into bankruptcy and regulated tobaccos into back alley deals, and pushed us into the deep dark web. "Psssttt, hey buddy, want to buy some perique? Shhhh..." Long after that, you'll still be able to buy the pipes in junk shops and such. So, I will get excited about a new blend, long before I'll get excited by a new blast or some killer grain.
That's a good point. I think McClelland and Dunhill closing signals the end of the golden era of pipe tobacco.

...and do we expect these small boutique blends to be around after they are asked to pay a few hundred thousand in fees and such? Do we really think that these flea sized tobacco companies can afford this? These are Ma and Pa businesses, and your delusional if you think these folks are making millions off of the handful of pipe smokers that set around and bitch that "$12 is just too much, can I find that in bulk?" "Heck, I can't afford real Mason jars, can I use plastic jam jars or bags?"
Definitely compared to cigar guys, who see brands and price tags as badges of honor, pipe guys tend to be the frugal curmudgeony, braggers of getting a great deal. "Get off my lawn!!!"

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm over 150. Now at a point where the thought of a new pipe is just of no interest whatsoever. I've found myself only smoking a handful of them, and occasionally throwing others in the trash. I still buy a little tobacco from time to time, but have lost interest in acquiring much more.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have plenty of pipes(somewhere around 90). I recently bought 3 1960's Dunhill's, 5 artisan made and 1 Meer. I am done buying pipes for a while as I am getting another 8 or so pipes back from Walker who ozoned and fixed some pipes for me. It will be like adding another 8 or so to the rotation. Sometimes I forget about a pipe for a while and then I rediscover it and then I cannot believe how I forgot about such a great smoking pipe. That happened recently with my Butera Apple. I hadn't smoked it in maybe a year or so and now it is in my regular rotation.

I can say that there is not one pipe in my collection that I am thinking about selling, they all have a place as they all smoke very nicely.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Often when I'm having a new pipe its because of its look and aesthetics or if I want a certain model which I previously haven't had,today after two years of buying-reselling(often with a significant loss) I'm pretty much done and satisfied with my current 30+ pipes(I only smoke somewhere between-3 -4 medium bowls)Of course Should I win lottery with 6 numbers then certainly I'm gonna upgrading to more luxurious pipes,

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have 14 pipes in two racks in front of me. About 9 of those get used on a regular basis.
On a shelf, I have maybe 20 new and good condition estates for future use, along with 3 or 4 crusty estates for me to ruin, er "refurbish" whenever I take a notion to learn.
I'll be keeping my eye out for the occasional addition, but my needs are currently met.
As for my frugal curmudgeonly nature, it's what allows me to enjoy a slice or two of the good life on my less than impressive current earnings.
On that note, CI is having a one day 25% off site wide right now. Get off my lawn! :nana:
jay-roger.jpg

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I don't know how many I have, I'll venture a guess that I have 75-80, I went a little crazy early on, now I only buy 3-4 pipes a year but always really nice ones now. It's just enough that I sometimes get surprised by a pipe I forgot I had that was buried somewhere or misplaced. I have only 12 that I routinely smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I've culled the herd, and it's been a few years, I either trade them in with our online sponsors for credit toward a pipe I'd prefer, or I pack them up to one of the Forums members who cleans them up and distributes them to service members or veterans who have taken up pipe smoking. I wouldn't throw away a pipe, not after I've seen some members resurrect dumpster-ready examples into better-than-new.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
There are 20 or so pipes that get smoked regularly plus few that rarely get smoked. For my 3 to 4 bowl a day average this is an adequate number. Like paulie66scandinavian stated, a Lotto win could change things.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
I responded to MSO's question first, so that the rest of y'all wouldn't feel bad about your herds. :roll: :lol:
I have a friend with something over 800 pipes; he does puff a lot, but quite a number of them are dust collectors. I've recently bought a few small pipe lots (20 or so at a time) for refurbishing / flipping from a woman who's elderly father decided it was time to sell off his collection. He was up to something between 4,000 - 5,000 pipes. To that I say 'yikes'...but no doubt a few of you must think yikes about my 250-300 collection. 8O

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
Pipes are relatively small so when you start running out of room you know you have too many.

Status
Not open for further replies.