Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Too Hot To Handle

(20 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rayje589

Login to Send PM

So last night I was smoking some frog Morton in a churchwarden and at times the pipe heated up to the point where I couldn't even hold the pipe by the bowl. I'm pretty sure it's not the tobacco as it doesn't seem to pop up in any reviews I've read. So is it me smoking too fast or is it the pipe?

Don't know if it will help any but this is the exact pipe I use.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. martiniman

martiniman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My churchwardens have thin bowl, probably to keep the weight down and they all get hot.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a little of both, my opinion. I have thin-bowled pipes that smoke a little warm but nothing that can't be handled unless I rush it. If yours is getting so hot you really can't touch for more than a second or so, then you're also smoking too fast....not saying I don't do this myself, but I realize it and accept it, and try to use a thicker bowled pipe when I know I'm going to be doing some mindless puffing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Too hot to hold is likely too hot regardless of thin walls or not.

Try drying the tobacco a little more. My Frog Morton came very moist out of the tin...puffig to keep it lit will likely cause overheating.

If you "pinch" the tobacco and it sticks together, it is too moist. Dry enough and it should fall apart and not stick at all.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I first got into pipes I didn't know a good pipe from a bad pipe. I ended up buying a Luciano pipe as my second pipe. To this day, no matter what I do, holding that pipe is like cupping Lucifer's testicles. Some pipes just burn hot. No idea why.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To this day, no matter what I do, holding that pipe is like cupping Lucifer's testicles.

LOL!

I have 2 Luciano's that are doing great so far. I hope yours breaks in and smokes better!

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Cutting to the chase here:

A churchwarden, being longer, smokes cooler than a "normal" pipe.

While smoking it, with the smoke being so cool and lovin' it .... puff-puff-puff ...

It takes a while before we get an "oh sh!t!" moment and realize the bowl is "ouchie" hot.

As Mike states here, with a churchwarden, it helps to take slower sips, less often and pay attention to that bowl all the way down there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. rotschefeller

rotschefeller

Login to Send PM

Other posters have made good points,

I would like to add that when I get a new pipe, it burns hot for the first 5-10 smokes before it is broken in, usually. How long have you had the pipe? Either way it is probably not so good that it gets so hot that you can't touch it, but it might improve some over time just by smoking.

Still, follow the advice of other posters as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. chakaraka

chakaraka

Login to Send PM

+1 roth...although I am a newbie and do not own a Churchwarden, you echoed what the main onus of my response was going to be.

Mike.
    - - - - - -
    Rookie, but learning.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

peckin - what shape is your hot Luciano? I have 3, which all are just fine, but they are variations of Rhodesians.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mine is a bell shape

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Peterson XL315 has a "bell-like" shape and it tends to get warm right in the middle if I'm being mindless. I just chalked it up to puffing to fast coupled with the design (since it tapers in the "middle").

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

rayje589

Login to Send PM

I had another bowl from that pipe with a different tobacco today... I tried not to think of how I was smoking and did notice I was smoking a bit fast (which heated the pipe quickly)... But then when I tried to smoke slower I would have to relight quite frequently. Guess I need to work on my technique a bit.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Guess I need to work on my technique a bit.

And dry your tobacco out a bit more. Frequent relights are a more a symptom of wet tobacco, than improper smoking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

rayje589

Login to Send PM

I did give it 30 minutes to dry, on top of me thinking it was quite dry already.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try the pinch test and see what it tells you. Thirty minutes isn't much time for a tobacco to dry enough to smokeable. The only case where I have to relight more than a few times is when I'm smoking a pipe with a pretty wide bowl. Even then, if I get it well lit, it isn't so bad, maybe as many as 8 or 10 relights at most.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Some aromatics, and more than a few OTC aromatics can take a long time to dry properly -- I've seen some take a day (that's 24 hours) or more, so 30 minutes is, IMO, certainly not enough for many aro's.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some aromatics, and more than a few OTC aromatics can take a long time to dry properly -- I've seen some take a day (that's 24 hours) or more, so 30 minutes is, IMO, certainly not enough for many aro's.

Something you can try doing if you think your tobacco is too moist is to measure out a bowl worth of tobacco, set it on a few sheets of paper, and aim a regular old desk lamp at it. I use a desk lamp with a regular 40W bulb, and the heat from the bulb will sort of "bake" some of the moisture out of the tobacco and it usually only takes about 5 to 10 minutes if youre really impatient. In any case, I never really started truly appreciating tobacco flavors until I learned to start drying it more than I thought it needed to be dried.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

rayje589

Login to Send PM

So while smoking today I kind of had an eureka moment. I may have figured out why I kept having to relight. I dried my tobacco quite a bit, to the point where I thought I had dried it too much so I was perplexed as to why it kept going out. Well I noticed there was ash and while this has never been a problem before I tamped it out and I have had to relight far less.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Well I noticed there was ash and while this has never been a problem before I tamped it out and I have had to relight far less.

I find that I usually dump the ash about half way through smoking a bowl. If air has trouble getting to the fire, it's not a good thing.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   trailboss, cmdrmcbragg, shutterbug, cobguy, warren, pitchfork, rsuninv, sdcowboy, fnord, onepyrotec, mrfus, organizedmadman, swilly, jdto