PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Hi all
Back in the 1970s Tony Benn was an iconic politician here in the UK. Politics aside, he was a great pipeman and won the 'Pipe Smoker of the Year' in 1992.
I came across this article this morning - it was the photo which interested me:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tony-benn-labour-party-phone-tapped-mi5-cia-kgb-harold-wilson-a8807706.html
I noticed the rather curious sticky strip with what looks like his name on it!
But then I noticed what looks like a double band with a gap. Is there such a pipe? Or is this a DIY repair for a well-loved briar?
What do you think?
Mike

Jan 8, 2013
If I had to guess, it's a well beaten up pipe which is also well loved pipe, being pieced together with a couple bands, some tape or perhaps a sticky label with his name on it, and a little bit of love. :puffy:

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Yes Mike, I also saw that photo as I look at Brexit news all day long.I think it is a repaired pipe.

Jørgen, Danmark

vmaxphil

Lurker
Mar 7, 2019
England
The reson for his name on the stem was he kept leaving it around the houses of parliament so if anyone found it they would know who to return it to

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have noticed that a lot of the old boys used to have the stem out a bit. That is to say that they never had them pushed all the way in. I suspect this was in some sort of effort to make them smoke better. I have tried it on pipes prone to gurgle and in some, it helped.
Here's Tolkien with the same thing going on.
j-r-r-tolkien-smoking-pipe-outdoors.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.