PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
After making enquiries on another thread about tonquin flavouring in tobacco it was suggested to me to try Samuel Gawith's '1792 Flake' which I promptly did.
Unfortunately for me I was unable to detect anything like the flavours suggested by forum members. It was an ok smoke but nothing special. That was until yesterday when I stumbled upon the forgotten tin, now with very dried out tobacco in it. I thought what the heck and loaded a bowl with the dark desiccated twigs that were once 1792 Flake and fired it up. Wahey, I could taste something I can only describe as very like the confectionery we had as kids called Parma Violets. I presume at last I had tasted the mythical (to me at least) tonquin flavour.
Regards,
Jay.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
My palate isn't nearly discriminating enough to describe flavors in a manner that others would understand, nor do I often detect flavors as others describe them. I either like a smoke or not. SG 1792 is one of my favorite tobaccos, but like you have found that stuff needs to be dried out some in order to be enjoyed. I really like the flavor in tobacco, but I'm not sure if I'd like it in candy. BTW, you didn't indicate whether you liked it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Radio, when fresh and still moist I would rate it at 5/10 but now it is fully dried out I would rate it at 7/10. Sadly not enough for me to purchase it again.
My next 'new to me' blend will be Old Dark Fired.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.