PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Gentlemen,
Are there any blends besides the storied 1792 or Dunhill Royal Yacht mixtures that are cased or topped with tonquin alone? I would love to experience the taste and aroma imparted by the notorious tonka bean in my smoke without having a nicotine overdose; the aforementioned blends have a big reputation as strong tobaccos. Any milder offerings out there? I can't find any online - I guess tonquin is just plain rare these days.
I can buy Royal Yacht easy enough but I don't want to go through the trouble of importing something I most likely won't be able to stomach. Any suggestions?

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
Thanks for posting this, I didn't know those blends had the tonquin flavor in them. I have also been needing a boost in my daily intake of vitamin N, so these just got bumped to the top of the must find list.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Pappy,
Royal Yacht is currently available at 4noggins. You will have your work cut out for you trying to find Samuel Gawith 1792, also known as Cob Flake. I've heard rumours that SG is on the way, but in my opinion they are just that - rumours. Judging by the tobacco reviews, you will be well satisfied in the nicotine department at least by either of these stout blends. I want something more moderate that I can comfortably enjoy in a full Country Gentleman over the course of an hour without falling ill. Since tonquin is a very traditional ingredient, I imagine it is mostly only found in a few older blends formulated when strong tobaccos were a given.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Kevin,
Thanks for the recommendation. I knew of Bracken Flake but didn't mention it because I have seen conflicting reports about whether or not it contained tonquin. There seems to be little consensus despite the fact that many pipe smokers identify tonquin notes in BF. Unfortunately, it is also just as hard to find as 1792! (Anyone else have an opinion on BF?)

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
The 1792 is a rough beast if you smoke it on an empty stomach, although, I'm a nic-lightweight, so YMMV... I'm interested in this as well since I like the flavor imparted by the tonka bean, but not the Nic-kick in the gut. This also makes me wonder if tonka beans are hard to come by. If not,maybe Russ, Rich or Greg should try their hand at it.
-Jason

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You can buy tonquin beans online from a number herbal companies. Not sure how you'd concoct an infusion but I suppose you could find instructions for that too. Coould make an interesting DYI project with some Virginia flake.
* DIY= Do Yourself In

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Jason,

It sounds like we are in exactly the same camp - except I only theoretically like the description of tonquin flavour; that remains to be seen...
However, what I lack in certainty about the flavour, I make up for in curiosity. I'm eager to try a lesser nicotine version of these blends, too - if there is such an animal.
My tolerance is probably on par with yours, I really don't like the sound of the RY/1792 reviews as per strength. I don't like tiny pipes or partially filled bowls, and that would probably be the only way I could handle them...
I also think that new tonquin tobacco would be an interesting diversion for either of those notable blenders; I'm not really confident it will ever happen, but it sounds great in principle anyway. There's an American plug now - American blenders should consider reviving some old school flavours for our market, too. If only for a limited run! We all know what happens to limited blends around these parts - not much chance of failure if its even half combustible!
Any takers on suggestions for other (existing) tonquin blends?
(papipeguy - I think I will leave my tonka beans to the pros! I don't trust myself with infusions or flavourings much)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I hear ya, sparroa. I'm not brave enought to try it myself. I do like 1792 and am frustrated by the lack of availability here. I used to smoke it daily but have run out a long time ago. "Perchance to dream."

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It sounds like I could handle Sam's Flake. Too bad it too is blended by Sam Gawith and we won't be finding it anytime soon.
Has anyone had tried this blend? Is it worth smoking? There seems to be a large proportion of unhelpful negative reviews on Sam's Flake yet it still averages out to 3 stars.
Thanks for pointing it out, juni.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I saw that on one of the snuff forums after, actually... Similar approach to papipeguy's recommendation. Sounds easy enough - I could probably handle splitting a couple beans and mixing them into a neutral tobacco. There doesn't seem to be many factory blends out there that match my specs, so that may have to do.
Where does one find fresh tonka beans online? The snuffers seem to think that dried out tonka beans are no good for the purpose, that they've lost their aromatics...
As a relevant side note, has anyone had experience with Royal Yacht? Would I be making a huge mistake as a nicotine lightweight to even give it a shot? What are the flavours like? Anyone care to share their thoughts on this blend?

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
I'm a relatively new pipe smoker (cigarettes for a short time many years ago, and cigar aficionado for a few years) and I smoke Dunhill the Royal Yacht occasionally, and enjoy it. I was not aware the casing was Tonquin, it seems more plummy than off-vanilla-ish like I've read Tonquin is supposed to be... but I'm no expert and I certainly don't know for sure.
People seem pretty polarized about tRY, love it or hate it. I enjoy it, and find it somewhere between EMP and NightCap in terms of Nicotine strength. I generally enjoy Royal Yacht in a small pipe... a Peterson Belgique to be precise. On an empty stomach, if I smoke too fast, I feel like the Royal Yacht has smuggled a load of contraband Nicotine into my guts (not necessarily a bad thing)! But enjoyed at a leisurely pace with food in the tummy, tRY is quite nice.
EDIT: Forgot to mention, besides the casing it's pretty much straight Virginia, although not really sweet in my experience... and in doing a bit more research, there are strong assertions online that the casing IS Tonquin, although I still can't taste or smell the damn vanilla!

Jan 3, 2011
For what it's worth, I have smoked 1792 and tend to enjoy "heavier" nicotine blends. To me, the effect of the tonquin is what some mistakenly attribute to a high nicotine content. I certainly could be wrong. Nevertheless, I have never had the effects I experienced by 1792 when I smoke high nicotine blends.
Is there a clear and verifiable proof that 1792 is a high nicotine blend, that is, other than, "Yea, I think so"?

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I don't think you can find fresh tonka beans - pretty sure they are only sold dried. Some snuffers will rehydrate them, but for the most part, just tossing in a dried bean will impart a flavour.

Be careful, you don't want to actually smoke the tonka bean, they are high in coumadin, which is a blood thinner.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
There seems to be additional claims of strength about 1792, I agree - I don't know whether or not it is attributable to tonquin though.
Standardgewehr,

I am extremely curious about Royal Yacht - I wish I could buy it cheaply at a local B&M, I wouldn't feel so bad if I didn't like it at all. Your description makes it sound great, except for the massive strength part.
Thanks schmitzbitz, I've read a lot into the coumarin aspect with both tonquin and deertongue; I am not overly concerned but I won't venture to smoke the bean just for safety's sake! I figured it might be rehydrated, a few people seemed to think those beans were no good, that's all...

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I believe that Russ Oullette mentioned he flavored Capitol Stairs with Tonquin - this is an extremely mild smoke that has a 'french toast' aroma and taste. The blend includes a little deer tongue too.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
By the powers of the dark lord, I ressurect this dead, rotten thread into the world of life! Let it forever be known the dark lord has these powers and is ready to impart them to whatever is wished! :D
ANyway.. what does it taste like?
Never knowingly tried it, but plum and vanilla-ish?

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I'm working my way through a tin of Ennerdale which is supposed to contain Tonquin. I have smoked 5 bowls. I don't hate it. I think that I may like it. It has a strong nic hit. I plan to finish the tin before I make a definite decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.