PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
I don't smoke every day. I use it as a time out from the hustle and bustle of life (and as a reward for sticking to my new exercise regime).
Tonight, a mid-weekday night, I had the house to mayself. I went on my deck, overlooking the forest behind my house...Vauen Ascot 172...Lane BCA (the first tobacco I bought since taking up pipe smoking recently)...some good Chianti I opened last night for spaghetti dinner (I was surprised: the chianti went better with this smoke tonight than it did with my spaghetti last night). Finish off with just a splash of Camus VSOP cognac.
Lesson: Tamping. I had no idea it would make such a difference. I never had a tool, but I finally got one a few weeks ago, and it helps so much smoking an entire bowl. Duh. Everyone said to get one; they were right.
Nice relaxing night.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
A lot of us use our finger, however, a proper tamper can be very useful in keeping the burn even. Congrats on your wonderful evening smoke.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Czech tool is a wonderful thing
71r29Zr32eL._SX355_.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I usually carry a pipe nail in my pocket, but the Czech tool is so necessary I always keep several around. Just don't usually carry one since they tend to catch on pocketknives, nail clippers, *lighters*.... :( Since in the car I can usually dig in my pocket I keep both a nail & a thimble in the console. Too useful to be without!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@bnichols. I like the idea of a thimble. That would be great for smoking while walking the dogs, such a pain to keep stopping to pull out the tamper. Cheers.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Plus, when you know your car by feel, you don;'t have to take your eyes off the road (other than to flick the lighter, of course).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tampers: Golf tees, tree branches cut up in 2-3" lengths, nails with largeish heads, someone else's finger. (I use finger for tamping when it's gone out, but not on a hot ember). Czech tools, yes, but a real pipe tool can ream to a small extent.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Thimbles are very useful, along with a cheap pipe nail. Never cared for the Czech tools myself.
Don't use your friggin' finger, unless there's no alternative. Makes a terrible mess, having to clean the ashes off your pinky. I've broken branches off trees or picked up twigs to tamp when I've been caught without.
Of course, ifin' you're working in the yard or garden, it won't matter, as one can simply rub your finger onto your pant leg. (Yeah, I've been guilty of that) :oops:
In other words, don't use your finger. 'Tis totally uncivilized. :wink:
Ok, Salty. Don't start no shyte, won't be none. :D

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
If I'm doing the first load, I'll use finger if need be. Post-charring light, no way in Perdition, José. Got more respect for my digits than that.....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Everyone has their favorite pipe tool, from bejeweled to a finger. I have several Czech tools, but I have become devoted to pipe nails for their shear simplicity, and since they cost a buck or less apiece, I find, superstitiously, I never lose them. The scoop doubles as a pick and the tamper is excellent. Yes, tamping is an art. You need a tamper to settle the first light or two in place, and once or twice more before the bowl is done. When you get it right, you do not put out the ember, just settle it in place.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
It's funny, though, mso -- years ago I always followed (*&* preached) the gospel of the charring light Without

Exception, yet recently I find that on some of my bowls (the larger & best drilled ones, usually, though not always), I can do a good initial load, fire it up, & smoke all the way down without ever recompressing. Another of God's little jokes, on me, I guess. Go figure.

It's funny, though, mso -- years ago I always followed (*&* preached) the gospel of the charring light Without

Exception

When you get to be good at pipesmoking, all of that BS that we tell newbies about packing, and charring light just fall to the wayside. Now, I just scoop some in, fire it up without all of the drama and fanfare. Heck, I sometimes find myself smoking without a single memory of having packed or lit the pipe. It's just a mindless mechanical action. The important part is the smoking... and the nicotine. :puffy:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
When you get to be good at pipesmoking, all of that BS that we tell newbies about packing, and charring light just fall to the wayside. Now, I just scoop some in, fire it up without all of the drama and fanfare.
Codger scoop is the method I now typically use, however, there's a lot more going on than meets the eye. I have to attribute much of the pipe smoking skills I've acquired over the years to the thousands of posts I've read here on these threads. Thanks to all, including Cosmicfolklore, for the subtle details that contribute to an enhanced pipe smoking experience.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I take it the codger scoop is simply that? Scoop with the pipe into the tobacco and pat it down?
Wondering how this method works for other cuts that aren’t ribbon like most OTC blends...

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
Regarding the Czech tool: I duplicated my smoke form the first post tonight. I must have packed in the tobacco too tightly? I had to use the poker for the first time. Seemed to be something blocking the air flow, as if a piece of tobacco was right in the hole to the stem. I first poked a hole through, and then had to poke right near the stem, and move the tobacco back from the stem hole. (Probably wrong terminology?) Anyway, it worked out. Good tool.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I take it the codger scoop is simply that?
Rubbed out flake can get pretty fluffy and pack similarly to ready rub. Cube cut gravity feeds quite well. The main point here though is as you get more mileage behind you on the pipe, it all gets done on auto-pilot: better smokes, more often!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I take it the codger scoop is simply that? Scoop with the pipe into the tobacco and pat it down?
Yes, that's it!

Wondering how this method works for other cuts that aren’t ribbon like most OTC blends...
Just fine, as long as the tobacco is dry enough. (flakes, coins and plugs often take much longer to dry.)

Status
Not open for further replies.