PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I read on Seattle Pipe clubs restoration page to use tung oil in after polishing and before your carnauba wax, I've tried it on a few pipes, it does make it a shade darker which I liked and seemed to make the grain pop a bit more. What's your thoughts on tongue oil for a briar?

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
True tung oil is a natural substance but will dry hard. Be careful with tung oils as woodwork finishes sold as "tung oil finish" is not only tung oil. There are other chemicals in there. Personally I would not use it on a pipe. Look up tried and true wood finishes. Their original is a very good product, totally natural, with no driers. you could eat it. It is commonly used as butcher block finish. you can see examples of this finish on wood if you look up Christian Becksvoort woodworking. He recommends tried and true. Ive used it on furniture and if you follow the application instructions it provides an exceptional warm natural look and feel. Another option would be mineral oil and beeswak mixed, which is also a common butcher block "finish". Personally I would just stick with wax though.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The Tung oil I have used will never go near something I would eat from or inhale a burnt substance from. Butcher Block Conditioner... Liquid Carnauba, beeswax, and food grade mineral oil are the ingredients.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Great now I feel like I should strip it, the article said it is what many pipe companies use

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Great now I feel like I should strip it, the article said it is what many pipe companies use
OR you could just smoke the heck out of it and let us know what happens. Then we would have definitive proof one way or another. :D

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
what exact product did you use? Stripping it may not actually remove it. oil finishes are meant to penetrate. they aren't film finishes.

inquisitor3

Lurker
Jun 20, 2017
We treated our floors with it and had to vacate the house for a few days. I wouldn't smoke out of something treated with it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I might do a light stripping of the oil, and then smoke it. There'd be very little if any real penetration of the wood; briar is pretty dense!

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
If you are going to scrap them you could try a light sanding to see how deep it penetrated. If you could get back to bare wood you may be ok. A film finish you could sand off but oil is different. Plus formbys probably has metallic driers in it which you don't want to smoke. However, if you only applied it to the outside of the briar.... May be fine may not be. Personally I'd go at it with some 400 grit sand paper sponges and see how it goes.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
No I for sure didn't touch the inside. As fast as it dries I couldn't imagine it going to deep especially into burl

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I disagree with a need for any sanding or extreme measures to strip the tung oil. Heck just wash the pipe in hot water and dish detergent, towel dry well and load it with fairly dry tobacco.

May 4, 2015
^Agreed. It's not going to get sucked clean through to the chamber, and the bowl isn't going to get hot enough to vaporize it to be inhaled anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.