PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jharmon230

Lurker
Nov 11, 2017
What is the cause of tongue burn, and why do some tobaccos contribute more to the problem than others?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I never get tongue burn. By the way I let the pipe hang, the smoke only burns the roof of my mouth...
I could go for a reverse p-lip...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Moisture level, sugar content, body chemistry, smoking cadence, alignment of planets, tobacco goblins, the FDA...
Just that, in about that order. Tobacco components (such as Virginias, Burleys, etc.) or casing and toppings may disagree with certain individuals. But drying the tobacco is an excellent plan.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Too much sugar, or too fast smoking.
I concur on avoiding YouTube. Does anyone even edit these things? Although our own metalheadycigarguy does some killer videos.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I love Youtube, but 10 minutes is too much for me. There is a channel that explains a Physics Phenomenon in a minute or so in each of their videos.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The single biggest issue is puffing too fast. The various tutorials tend to get overly complicated, but what finally clicked for me was just simply focusing on breathing through my nose rather than "smoking" the pipe...only very slightly ever drawing in through my mouth.
The other major factor, imo, is drying the tobacco sufficiently before packing.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
It is like drinking too much or driving to fast... improper operation... they say "operator error"

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I never get tongue burn. By the way I let the pipe hang, the smoke only burns the roof of my mouth...
I could go for a reverse p-lip...
Get a p-lip straight pipe, and turn the stem upside down. :wink:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Answer (for me) - NOT using only a match to light my bowl. When I switched from a lighter to matches, the tongue burn disappeared.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Some foods can make the problem worse, especially salty foods. I had a couple of pipes last Sunday, which left me with a wee bit of raw tongue feeling, which was very mild by Monday. Then I eat lotsa corn chips which are very salty for dinner on Monday and Tuesday, then I have less than a bowl on Thursday, and now my tongue and palate have been sore since then, and still feel so.
Cut down on the salt and irritants, says I.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Answer (for me) - NOT using only a match to light my bowl. When I switched from a lighter to matches, the tongue burn disappeared.

Come to think of this, last Sunday I was using matches for lighting (I still have to relight like crazy), and a Zippo a couple of times. I did read somewhere that butane burns quite hotter than matches. Good thing I've never used a jet lighter then. 8O

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Gents-
Any flame can be used to properly light a bowl. You simply adjust the distance of the tip of the flame to the tobacco. It's the super heated air beyond the tip of the flame that does the best job of igniting the tobacco without nuking it.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Hmm, so, which part of this flame should I use?
Mikazuki_flame.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.