PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

professorwheezy

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2013
I just wanted to pass this along to the crew. I would imagine all of us have experienced tongue bite at some point. And possibly a sore back of the throat too. Recently I tried a remedy that I want to pass along. HONEY. Put a teaspoon or tablespoon (doesn't matter) in a spoon flip it over and let it melt on your tongue and then slide down your throat. Almost instantly the irritation is eased. Do it a couple of times a day for a few days and you'll be amazed at how fast your "minor burn" heals and how much it eases irritation right away.
I know the honey and lemon or whiskey has been an age old remedy for sore throats. My Dr pointed me to honey when I was recovering from surgery and had an incision that would not heal. (I wasn't smoking at the time). I put it directly on the wound or on the gauze and it definitely aided healing.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
+1 on Biotene
When I was starting out Biotene helped my tongue survive while my technique improved.

fafnir

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Yes honey mixed with a little warm water and add a dash of lemon juice does wonders.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Hmmmmmmm... I myself must find and try this Biotene! Aint never heerd of it afore.
Another home remedy: amputation. Heh heh...

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
Biotene, of all the things. I haven't had the unfortunate experience of tongue bite yet but I wont rule out it wont happen at some point. Thanks for sharing the Honey remedy as well.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hereby I should confess having a slight irritation on tongue most always after a full bowl of Virginia or VAper and still I'm wondering when this 'inconvenience will stop existing,think only then,when no cigarettes are no more used and all prescribted precautions strictly followed,hopefully I dont have to move to all burley based tobaccos soon,

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
As the old saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Smoke natural or lightly-topped blends, stay away from OTCs, and smoke slow and easy especially if it's a VA-heavy blend.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
I can honestly say I've never had tongue bite, but I drink some soda while smoking. I was told the acid in it counteracts the "base" nature of tobacco smoke and I have to agree

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
When I started in earnest my all day beverage was coffee.

With the gentle suggestion of my urologist I finally took his advice and moderated my coffee/caffeine intake.

I found that drinking herbal tea was more complimentary to the pipe smoking process, for me. Water works too.

I don't drink 'soft drinks' or alcohol. I used to drink alcohol, but pipe smoking and alcohol aren't the best combo.

Science says that alcohol destroys the human body. It says the same about tobacco. The combination is supposed to be more deadly.

Pick one, one, says I, and my beat up old colon didn't argue when I picked pipe smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.