PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have read so much mention of 'tongue bite' both on here and Tobaccoreviews.com and I do wonder if I am experiencing it.
Just occasionally when I smoke a bowl, usually of a straight Virginia blend, I get a slightly unpleasant tingle on my tongue. However this very soon disappears and the bowl smokes just fine.
It is never off-putting just a minor brief irritation and I can smoke the very same blend another time and not experience it. I have however read of some folks avoiding certain blends purely because of 'tongue bite' despite them actually liking the flavours that blend provides.
I appreciate it's a 'chemical' thing, perhaps down to acidity in one's mouth but if what I am experiencing is indeed 'tongue bite' it certainly wouldn't be enough on its own to turn me away from a blend I liked.
So folks am I suffering the dreaded 'tongue bite'?
Regards,
Jay.

May 4, 2015
So folks am I suffering the dreaded 'tongue bite'?
It doesn't really sound like you're suffering at all.
Ultimately,you're lighting something on fire inches from your face. While it's being lit and stoked, it's at a higher temperature than the ideal smolder you eventually get to.
As long as it goes away after a moment and then you enjoy the rest of the bowl, I don't think anything is amiss.
If it's relentless and just burning you throughout the bowl, that could be indicative of a problem. Doesn't sound like that's the case here, though.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I think you may be experiencing true tongue bite. I've heard some liken it to a cramp almost on your tongue. I don't know that I've ever experienced tongue bite and I suspect that many mistake tongue burn for bite. I know that certain blends tend to steam quickly if smoked too hard and I've burnt my tongue like a bad steak! I've also heard others describe, like you, a temporary or occasional bite from certain blends. So in answer to your question I think yes.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I'm not sure if there's a difference between tongue bite and tongue burn. Sometimes if I'm clenching and not paying attention and puff too much I get tongue burn that makes my tongue feels more rough like the back side of leather I'll taste less. Just like burning your tongue from hot tea but it generally covers a bigger area than a burn from tea.
I have less of that issue with English/Balkan blends and sometimes it's from packing too tightly. Some people have an issue with red virginia's but that's more of a chemical thing I think.
Read this article from Russ.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
If it's any bit unpleasant I categorize it as tongue nite so I would say yes. Often I don't really notice it and can brush my teeth hours after my last pipe and no matter which paste I use I get the bite sensation. And this only occurs if I've smoked a pipe earlier.

May 4, 2015
texmexpipe - Are you defining "tongue bite" as solely a chemical issue and differentiating "tongue burn" as a heat/steam issue?
I don't think I've ever seen anyone split the conditions up that way.

May 4, 2015
Virginias tend to burn hotter anyway due to the natural sugar. If you're lighting with a butane lighter on top of it, you may be pushing it just past comfortable.
Have you tried lighting your Virginias with a match, or do you already anyway?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Regardless of temperature of the flame, you can get the right "low heat" combustion of your tobacco simply by moving the source further away.

May 4, 2015
Regardless of temperature of the flame, you can get the right "low heat" combustion of your tobacco simply by moving the source further away.
True. Takes a little more finesse, though.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I use one of those angled butane lighters (NOT one of those jet lighter thingies) and just waft the flame over the baccy.
As I mentioned, it only happens occasionally and am inclined to consider it more 'tongue nip' than full on 'tongue bite'.
Regards,
Jay.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Pipesmokingtom, I am differentiating the two, for me they are two very different sensations. Tongue burn tends to have an after affect lasting sometimes days if I'm stupid and not paying attention. While tongue bite last only the course of the bowl at most.

May 4, 2015
Tongue burn tends to have an after affect lasting sometimes days if I'm stupid and not paying attention. While tongue bite last only the course of the bowl at most.
Interesting. Maybe there's value to the distinction.
Jay, are you having anything to drink while this is going on? If I'm on a particularly finicky blend, when I'm lighting, I'll make sure to get the smoke out of my mouth as quickly as possible on lights/relights and take a sip of something before I get to smoking.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
often a time find me suffering what they say a leather-scorch tongue and a bit sore throat by mornings if done with more than tree bowlfuls during the day ,moreover,

some Mc Barens Virginia blends keeps me scary even the initial taste is so nice, but I'm pretty new to pipes in past being primarly a heavy cigarette/cigar smoker, thats why CH appeals to me. Lol. Paul

May 4, 2015
If I smoke a lot of cigarettes during the day, I find a pipe to be harder to enjoy come evening.
Alcohol can wash away some protective coating from the tongue, so mixing beer and particular blends may be problematic. Just food for thought.
Edit: Carbonation can be an issue too. It took me a long while to successfully incorporate my soda water in to my smoking.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Good think, seemigly I'm managin to minimixe my cigs,I do find them pretty much tasteless after I got seriously into the pipes

nevertheless,I'm gotta lear that so called delayed pipe smoking technique and when in a hurry I still tend to reach for those cigarettes.as for beverage,so high ball Wiskey soda is a choise for me and pipe,,

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I love VA's but of late I have noticed VA blends I have smoked for a long while are beginning to give me a problem. Not just my tongue but all the tissues in my mouth. It is gone the next day and if I avoid them It seems to be no problem. Some people on the site have had a problem with them. Other than that it would come down to something in your packing, cadence, or just too much fun. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.